Need to buy a chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastGame
Poulan Pro 5020 is one of the best bargains in homeowner saws, it's much better with 16"-18" bar.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/th...e-about.192321/

This is the successor to the disaster of a chainsaw that I had, the 4620. For the love of god, stay away. Poulan will not cover warranty issues, and the warranty is one thing that you'll definitely need with this item. If it wasn't for Lowes stepping up, I'd have a $199 Poulan Pro boat anchor.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Poulan Pro 5020 is one of the best bargains in homeowner saws, it's much better with 16"-18" bar.

This is the successor to the disaster of a chainsaw that I had, the 4620. For the love of god, stay away. Poulan will not cover warranty issues, and the warranty is one thing that you'll definitely need with this item. If it wasn't for Lowes stepping up, I'd have a $199 Poulan Pro boat anchor.

Sorry but the 4620 and the 5020 are not the same saws...and did you not read anything in the link I posted ? Most of the guy's in that thread are Pro's and many build and race hot saws. There are many other post at that site about the 5020 and most are positive about the saw.

Sorry but the 4620 and the 5020 are not the same saws...and did you not read anything in the link I posted ? Most of the guy's in that thread are Pro's and many build and race hot saws. There are many other post at that site about the 5020 and most are positive about the saw.

I remember that thread. If you look on that site some more you might find one that has been modified.

You are correct. The 4620 and 5020 are not the same saw. The 5020 is the successor model; it replaced the 4620.

I did read that information when it was discussed last year and I offered my same observations then. I believe my experience has some validity here, especially in regards to Poulan's customer service.

If the Poulan works without issue, I'm sure it'll be fine. If something fails, expect to be hung out to dry.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

I remember that thread. If you look on that site some more you might find one that has been modified.

HaHa, I remember you in many threads....

I have a PP 5020 AV and it has been very reliable.

I use a 16" Forester B&C on it and it does very well.

Under the metal side cover there is a Husqvarna logo.

I run 40:1 Trufuel in mine.

I have a Stihl MS180 and a MS290 farmboss.
Both have given years of trouble free service.

My friend bough a lightly used MS250, and I think that is an ideal home owner saw. Light weight and rather powerful for its size. Takes a 16 or 18" bar.

I had a Poulan, and it was ok, but nothing to write home about. Carburetor was finicky and the controls were playskool cheesy and flimsy.
Stihl is the only brand saw I would own.

If you haven't needed a chainsaw until now, you probably won't need one again after this for quite a while. I would recommend doing one of these things:

1. Rent a chainsaw. Home Depot rents awesome Makita (Dolmar) chainsaws that will make short work of pretty much anything you can throw at them.

2. Buy an electric chainsaw. They will cut nearly as well as A gas powered saw, are quiet, and you don't have to worry about it not running because it's been sitting around unused.

3. Put a "free firewood" ad on Craigslist. People will come to your house, cut up the wood, and haul it away to heat their homes with it. Then all you'll have to do is dispose of the brush. I heat with wood, and this is how I get most of my firewood.

Personally, I own 2 Poulan saws for cutting firewood, the little 14" "Wood Shark", and the PP5020AV mentioned above. They both work great.

If it's a one time need, simply rent a Dolmar/Makita from your local Home Depot and call it a day. If you have a closer Stihl dealer that rents, get one from them. No need to add a tool that you're rarely going to use when you can rent a top flight machine for under $100, beat it into the ground and return it.

Anybody own a electric chainsaw ? I am thinking about buying one and would like to hear some feedback.
cheers3.gif

Thx
B

If you need something that will hold up for a long time, spend a little more money and get an MS250 Stihl. The 170 is built a little lightly for anything other than brush trimming and the small gauge chain they run is very prone to breaking (.043 gauge) most of the larger saws will run an .050 in either .325 or 3/8 chain which is much more durable.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Anybody own a electric chainsaw ? I am thinking about buying one and would like to hear some feedback.
cheers3.gif

Thx
B

I had a Sears electric chain saw for many years, it worked really well providing you were cutting sub 8" logs and not in a real hurry.
It was nice to not have the saw running when I was not actually using it.

I don't remember the saw ever dying, I think I just gave it away for being ugly.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
cheers3.gif

Thx
B

I used a little Stihl electric that was handy. From their website, it may have been the MSE 210 C-BQ. I could see that being useful to someone, and not having to worry about a carb sure would be nice. I have mine for emergencies, and if I have a tree down across the driveway during a winter ice storm when the power's out, electric isn't going to do me any good.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
stihl
It looks like the Stihl saws are priced about what the Poulan Pro is anyways. Seems like a no brainer here.

No brainer?

The PP5020 AV is a 50cc saw vs the stihl in your link that is a 30cc saw.....

And, If it matters to anyone, The MS170 is made in china.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the info guys. I ended up going with the Stihl MS170. The dealer was awesome. The guy asked me all about what I wanted to do with it and concluded that the 170 was all that I needed. He showed me how to start and use it and the service guy showed me how to sharpen the blades. It was one of the best customer service experiences I have had in my life.

Once I got it home, I was thoroughly impressed and have already used it a few times since.

You will be very happy with that choise. A stihl sold by a good dealer, that will work!!
Smaller saws will work fine for most situations. Unless you are logging for a living, a couple of extra seconds per cut will not cause grief and a lighet saw will be more fun to work with. And learn how to sharpen the chain, your saw will out cut a 60 cc saw with a bad chain if yours are razor sharp with right angles.
I would not have hesitated for a stronger top brand electric to work around the house either, or, as a Swede, a Husqvarna!

Please work safe with that new tool. Take the time to study chainsaw safety videos and manuals. Learn safe practices to avoid serious injury. After that, Google 'Youtube chainsaw accident' as a reminder why you need to work carefully with your new tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back