Door rubber gasket care

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Civic, you *have* to try Shin-Etsu; yes, it is not cheap but the tube will last you a life time. don't bother with anything else.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im still looking into the use of DOT 5 brake fluid, however there is concern that there may be plasticizer in it that could soften paint.

I've mentioned Kleen-Flo HG Rubber Care in another thread. Here, our seals' biggest enemy is the ice and cold that tear them to ribbons.
wink.gif

I bought a bottle of DOT 5 and sampled it on the rubber seal under the hatch on my Mazda3. It seems to do a good job and has not had any issues with softening the paint it contacts. I used to use silicone lubricant spray on a paper towel on my 89 Accord. That worked for 23 years.

Just tried some Motorcraft silicone grease (XG3A). Just used it on the one spot which I think has a refractory squeak- IF I was right on the location, I will report back on durability.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I used to use silicone lubricant spray on a paper towel on my 89 Accord. That worked for 23 years.

I'd use the HG Rubber Care much the same way, and it is essentially a silicone, too. It's also quite handy when trying to squeeze on a tight fitting hose.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I used to use silicone lubricant spray on a paper towel on my 89 Accord. That worked for 23 years.

I'd use the HG Rubber Care much the same way, and it is essentially a silicone, too. It's also quite handy when trying to squeeze on a tight fitting hose.

Yes! I used silicone spray for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back