Tim Hortons to be bought out by Burger King?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Drew99GT:

I don't need you to lecture me.

Pretty hilarious coming from you since that is ALL you do to everyone else. In your mind, everyone is a stupid S O B because they don't see the world in a very dark, boogyman, ulterior motive way.

You're going to boycott Burger King because they're merging with Tim Hortons based on your fallacious view they're an evil corporation trying to avoid US taxes? I avoid Burger King because it tastes like what I assume a cow patty would taste like, but that's me...

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Someone has not owned a business this is evident.

Ouch! You nailed it, Dave.

I think everyone should own their own business for at least a year or two and experience the endless parade of regulatory baloney and myriad taxes personally.

ANYONE who imagines this country is business friendly drinks too much kool aid...

Have not ate the BK junk for many years.
With all the money they will save in taxes, they can afford to loose a few "customers" LOL

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
With all the money they will save in taxes, they can afford to loose a few "customers" LOL

Oh, the irony!

That's what I love about this...their greed will end up costing them enough customers that it will create a wash, and then you have the costs to move the HQ and administrative things as well to Canadia...

My guess is that Horton customers will rebel as well since
it is a Canadian icon, the thought that a US corporation will own it WILL hurt the bottom line.

crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Then you have the reaction of the shareholders that will not like hearing that customers are staying away from both store brands.

If more people had experience in business it would be a lot easier to understand why businesses move their headquarters and jobs to other countries.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Someone has not owned a business this is evident.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt

Oh, the irony!

That's what I love about this...their greed will end up costing them enough customers that it will create a wash, and then you have the costs to move the HQ and administrative things as well to Canadia...

My guess is that Horton customers will rebel as well since
it is a Canadian icon, the thought that a US corporation will own it WILL hurt the bottom line.

crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Then you have the reaction of the shareholders that will not like hearing that customers are staying away from both store brands.

It's clear that you don't realize that when a company makes a move like this, they've already studied the short and long term financial and public relations impact. It's not a decision that's made without some careful research. They know how much the costs will be and how much the future gains may be. They also know that most people have short memories, and even those who have sworn off eating their garbage will soon be waddling back into their restaurants.

As was alluded to above, you don't have a clue about how business, especially big business, operates.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
ANYONE who imagines this country is business friendly drinks too much kool aid...

We certainly have our gems here, too, based upon jurisdiction. In Saskatoon, you need a business license in almost all instances, though the municipal business taxation is then lower. In Regina, if you operate your business on a zoned business property, you don't need a business license. Imagine running chains that go through multiple jurisdictions and levels of jurisdictions, just like BK or TH.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

It's clear that you don't realize that when a company makes a move like this, they've already studied the short and long term financial and public relations impact. It's not a decision that's made without some careful research. They know how much the costs will be and how much the future gains may be. They also know that most people have short memories, and even those who have sworn off eating their garbage will soon be waddling back into their restaurants.

As was alluded to above, you don't have a clue about how business, especially big business, operates.

You can "study" things like this till you are blue in the face and get the services of the highest priced "consultants", fact is one cannot predict the ultimate reaction of consumers in the end. I hope this blows up in BK face, just like it should for an arrogant, short sighted operation with horrible product and service.

I don't support making running a business more difficult or complex. If anything it should be simplified.

When it comes to taking taxes and profits out of a country where the business is operated, that is a different story.

Last edited:
?... leaving the blood thirsty
shareholder out of the equation...

So...calling shareholders greedy wasn't sufficiently inflammatory? Now, shareholders are bloodthirsty?

If the argument isn't received well...just increase the exaggeration, is that the method to which you subscribe?

Ever own shares in a company? Ever invest for yourself? Are those bloodthirsty pursuits?

Originally Posted By: Garak
The biggest shot in the foot to TH's quality was done long ago - getting away from donuts baked fresh on premises. The only way to get that now is to go to a real bakery or a mom and pop donut shop, which is pretty rare, of course.

Or if you live near Mississauga Ontario, they still have the very first Krispy Kreme location in Canada (and quite possibly the only one left?) We took the kids there last week and got a dozen donuts that came directly off the line, so it doesn't get any fresher than that! They melted in your mouth! Tim Horton's donuts don't even come close to Krispy Kreme IMO! But I love Tim Horton's chili and their Creamy Sundried Tomato soup and their new four cheese bagel. And they also have a limited edition Steak Panini that they bring out every once in a while (and it's so popular that I wonder why it's not a regular item?)

So...calling shareholders greedy wasn't sufficiently inflammatory? Now, shareholders are bloodthirsty?

If the argument isn't received well...just increase the exaggeration, is that the method to which you subscribe?

Ever own shares in a company? Ever invest for yourself? Are those bloodthirsty pursuits? [/quote]
another excellent post.
I wonder how many thousands/tens of thousands of bitogers are "bloodthirsty", since we invest in the market directly, or per some form of mutual/ index funds.
antique -- your progressive exaggerations are beyond funny now. you're making yourself look foolish, since you just don't have enough sense to quit. you state the same drek over and over and over, and expect to convince others that you pov is right.in this thread, you know nothing about which you speak. several other posters have stated this.
you've lost your argument.
it's time to man-up and admit that you own shares in bk, and eat meals there 4 or 5 times a week.
one wonders in what investment vehicles do you invest your money ? magic beans comes to mind, for some reason.
I'm sure that you'll be back tomorrow, describing big co. shareholders as savage beasts/wifebeaters/low lives, or some other goofy descriptive phrase.
have a good night, and thank you for several laughs today.

Problem with the stock market and shareholder system is that it appears that increasingly there is no balance between shareholder profit taking, the importance of the long term health of the company, maintaining quality of the product/services and making sure to keep focus on the MOST important part of the equation..the customer. CEOs today will simply bend over to any demand of shareholders and BoDs. The system is broken.

If I owned a company, I would NEVER take it public....ever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
The greedy shareholders lose if Tim Hortons loses business by diluting its brand. So, I doubt they would support this, unless the combined company continues to meet customer expectations.

I suspect that those greedy shareholders will support the tax offsets and savings created by the deal....

You might consider joining those greedy shareholders by starting to invest in companies that are well run...personally, I don't consider the expectation of a reasonable return on my investment to be greedy...

Perfect.

I have not eaten at a BK in many years and now never will again.....

So they'll lose no business? That will show them!

This makes perfect sense coming from someone that's never owned a business.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Or if you live near Mississauga Ontario, they still have the very first Krispy Kreme location in Canada (and quite possibly the only one left?) We took the kids there last week and got a dozen donuts that came directly off the line, so it doesn't get any fresher than that.

We still have the local offshoot of the Country Style donuts, and last time I was there, they were home made. In fact, if you come late enough in the day, they knock the price down like crazy, and they're still better than anything Robin's or Tim's has any time of the day.

Problem with the stock market and shareholder system is that it appears that increasingly there is no balance between shareholder profit taking, the importance of the long term health of the company, maintaining quality of the product/services and making sure to keep focus on the MOST important part of the equation..the customer. CEOs today will simply bend over to any demand of shareholders and BoDs. The system is broken.

The balance is built by the fact that the CEO, board, and shareholders will have nothing to split if there aren't any customers.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

The balance is built by the fact that the CEO, board, and shareholders will have nothing to split if there aren't any customers.

Problem is that the greed factor is so strong now it has taken precedence over the satisfaction of the customer. Oh, and it ain't like these folks don't "cook the books" either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back