Divorcing Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Doug for your input.

I did not suggest that collaborative efforts do not happen.

I could be wrong, but I doubt Mobil 1 0w40 was engineered for the GTR. Again, I could be wrong about that.

I could again. be way off base here, but I doubt that Exxon's subsidiary is the only blender that can make such a specialized oil. One so custom tailored, than it's on the shelf at Wal Mart. Maybe that is the case.

Any vehicle on the planet with anendorsed factory fill, I would put my life on it that they could possibly survive a normal, even a longer life using SOME OTHER OIL than Mobil 1 0w40.

But what do I know? Other than I don't like Kool Aid.

I have been married to M1 since I was 16! I am now 50! It has been a Long Glorious Marriage!

She has been Loyal-Faithful-Dependable-Trust Worthy!

She has never left me Stranded or Stuck with a Huge Repair Bill!

I have had 14 autos since I was 16! All of them were filled with M1 at the first chance!

My 88 GMC 1/2 Ton with the Throttle Body 350cu in had 357K miles on her when I sold her. I talked to the young man about 2 months ago who bought her. She now has 486K miles on her and is running Strong! He was bored and curious one weekend and took the valve covers off just to take a peak inside! Also he needed to replace the gaskets.

He was Amazed on how clean and spotless the heads were. He continues to us M1 HM 5W-30. He all so stuck with my OCI! Change Once before Summer-Once before Winter. He has plans on keeping the GMC for as long as it keeps running!

I just bought my First {Ever} New Auto {4 months ago}. After 2K miles I poured in 5Qts M1 AFE 0W-20-2Qts M1 0W-40 with Fram Ultra Filter!

This Ram will take me well into Retirement easily!

M1 has gained my Respect & Loyalty!

I love the Nissan GT-R! Nissan trusts M1 0W-40 in their most prized creation! That just gives me the satisfaction that I am using the right oil.

M1 Bashers will never affect my Oil Choice! It's just valuable time wasted.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-

One doesn't even need to say anything defamatory about the product (applying human rights to a product), one just merely needs to fail to kiss it's butt or ask permission to use another brand, when all the usual suspects emerge to accuse you of bashing and to throw kool aid at you.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

One doesn't even need to say anything defamatory about the product (applying human rights to a product), one just merely needs to fail to kiss it's butt or ask permission to use another brand, when all the usual suspects emerge to accuse you of bashing and to throw kool aid at you.

So you will support someone that bashes M1 , but if someome supports the product then they are a "kool aid drinker". Is that about it?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Do not let the fact Mobil One has the most certifications, OEM approvals, and OEM recommendations and no other blender has been able to substantiate claims it blends a superior lubricant get the best of you.

Everybody is forgetting one of the most important considerations along with the list of the most Certifications and OEM approvals and recommendations.

The fact is, there's no other oil company that can boast their top tier oil is essentially recognised and available on a global basis like Mobil 1.
That's an important consideration for any car manufacturer that's going to enter into partnership of any description with an oil company.

From a manufacturers point of view.
A consumer can have confidence that what's printed in their owners manual(if they bother to read it), and or is moulded on the top of the filler cap(if they bother to open the bonnet) is going to be available to them no matter where they are in the world.
There's simply minimal opportunity for confusion about the type and grade of oil can be put into the engine whilst it's under warranty and for the foreseeable future after the warranty has expired.

I think it's reasonable to say, that if one just used Mobil 1 exclusively for the entire life of the vehicle.
The engine would last beyond the expectations of most owners or at least as long as one is expected to own the vehicle for, provided the vehicle is serviced according to the manufacturers recommendations.

Originally Posted By: tig1

So you will support someone that bashes M1 , but if someome supports the product then they are a "kool aid drinker". Is that about it?

Instead of calling someone a basher, how about respecting their right to choose their own products and/or share their own experiences with whatever brand they may use, without ripping into them, diminishing their credibliity and browbeating them with marketing drivel.

Look at this thread; some guy just wants to try other products, and no matter what reason they give, to the 'family', that's bashing. Now the thread is an infinite loop of marketing [censored] and goofy testimonials.
How insane is that?
The guy just mentioned trying a different brand.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
DustyBones - Yesterday I posed this question to you;

Please define what you mean by extra wear - thanks!

No answer so far - care to respond DustyBones?

Just a guess here, but you lack the basic ability to use the search function here.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2233731

Put the little pointer thingy over that link and click on it. Maybe I should tell you its the newest koolaid link. You seem to be a keep the forum guys happy and use M1 at any cost kinda fellas.

Look in the comments of elevated wear.

Then come back with why so many fans of that oil say deal with it, run it a,few OCIs, dont worry about the extea noise, it dont cause wear, ignore the UOA that confirms you believe that noise may be wearing the engine, dont worry about that quart you lost after 3,000 miles, superior oils have these characteristics, the guys online told me so. Now that is what I call trolling.

So use the search function here and read all the my car started drinking oil, makes more noise, shows more wear on UOA threads right here when people try a fill of it. Then look at the rediculous excuses people make to try and convince people to keep filling the motor with it. It is almost comical.

Ok JR! You singled Me Out! Not one time in my Post call any member a M1 Basher! Did I?

Take Notice-->M1 Bashers!

I have been accused of being Brand Loyal! Ok! Who Cares! Those need to worry about what their Wives are doing after work instead of what oil I use!

No one bashed anyone for switching from M1 to something else. OP, anyone bash your choice to switch? Most just wanted to know what the issue was. DustyBones is the one who came out gunzablazzin. Everyone understands that a multitude of brands will do the the job fantastically but when you read the reasons why DustyBones so emphatically and emotionally listed not to use, you understand the responses.

Originally Posted By: wemay
No one bashed anyone for switching from M1 to something else. OP, anyone bash your choice to switch? Most just wanted to know what the issue was. DustyBones is the one who came out gunzablazzin. Everyone understands that a multitude of brands will do the the job fantastically but when you read the reasons why DustyBones so emphatically and emotionally listed not to use, you understand the responses.

You nailed it.

I'm a true newcomer to the forum, but am not shy about pointing out the obvious. It doesn't require the skills of an investigative reporter to read through and see where the thread began to quickly de-evolve.

There is so much Pot-Kettle-Black going on here that it's hilarious.

Originally Posted By: DustyBones
I have yet to see actual scientific proof it is better and the extra wear in UOAs along with instant consumption and added engine noise would make it easy for me to choose otherwise, and it has.

You have been asked to quantify this by Doug, Overkill, and me, yet I only hear crickets and a random UOA. More pointedly, explain to me how a UOA quantifies wear.

Cool. TOTAL/Elf oil continues to be the #1 factory fill of Hyundai/Kia, Nissan, Renault, Scania.

In Canada, Mobil is the service fill for Nissan. At least here, they don't push the Genuine Nissan ester oil, much less even list it on their posted service prices.

I can not believe I am actually defending XOM and M-1 in particular. OVERKILL you should step I feel dirty speaking up for Mobil One.

There you go. If they don't like Mobil, they can switch to QS.
wink.gif

No one bashed anyone for switching from M1 to something else. OP, anyone bash your choice to switch? Most just wanted to know what the issue was. DustyBones is the one who came out gunzablazzin.

That's exactly it. Few have problems with brand switching. Many, however, take issue when someone claims that approved lubricant Brand X causes ridiculous noise, consumption, and [unquantifiable] wear. M1 5w-30, PP 5w-30, Syntec 5w-30, QSUD 5w-30, Synpower 5w-30, and so forth are essentially interchangeable, with almost identical approvals. I don't like Imperial Oil's and Wakefield Canada's choices on jug sizes. I don't like SOPUS's western Canadian distribution network. Put any of them in my engine without telling me, and I'll never tell the difference. Tell me, and I still won't notice the difference.

Hi,
DustyBones - Thanks for the response!

Sadly you did not answer the question;

Please define what you mean by extra wear

I look forward to your well balanced and definitive answer - if only so that a few of us un-educated Posters can be suitably re-educated

Thanks

Last edited:

I can see that. OTOH, the thing I'm seeing with excess brand loyalty, to the point of kool aid intoxication, is the mentality that "everyone else either uses the same stuff I do, or they're wrong."

I've heard the infamous M1 clatter, but don't post about it lest I get besieged for not bowing to the Shah. Market competition is such that there's no shortage of choices to make, to have ANYONE get their jimmies rustled, or take offense due to cognitive dissonance or 're-educate' people who dare stray.

Just a guess here, but you lack the basic ability to use the search function here.

Put the little pointer thingy over that link and click on it. Maybe I should tell you its the newest koolaid link. You seem to be a keep the forum guys happy and use M1 at any cost kinda fellas.

Then come back with why so many fans of that oil say deal with it, run it a,few OCIs, dont worry about the extea noise, it dont cause wear, ignore the UOA that confirms you believe that noise may be wearing the engine, dont worry about that quart you lost after 3,000 miles, superior oils have these characteristics, the guys online told me so. Now that is what I call trolling.

So use the search function here and read all the my car started drinking oil, makes more noise, shows more wear on UOA threads right here when people try a fill of it. Then look at the rediculous excuses people make to try and convince people to keep filling the motor with it. It is almost comical.

Doug is too polite to call you on it but that isn't going to stop me here. YOU obviously failed with the search function.

In case you missed it: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Was written by the same guy who you just openly flamed and said can't use the search function. I'll go out on a limb and bet that Doug has more oil analysis experience in the last 30 minutes than you'll accrue in your lifetime.

I'd also argue he has more experience with lubricants in general than the collective of everybody else in this thread, covering tens of millions of Km's of real world testing working WITH OEM's AND various lubricant manufacturers INCLUDING Castrol(BP), SOPUS and ExxonMobil.

You've just done the most epic troll of all. You called out a guy with more experience, more expertise and more cred than you will EVER have on this board even if you are here the next 30 bloody years. Oh, and on top of the extensive experience I already mentioned, Doug is a recognized expert in the field of OTR truck maintenance and his publications are nationally recognized in Australia. I know, because I have one of his bloody books!

You've just done the BITOG equivalent of telling Sabine Schmitz that she doesn't know anything about race cars and she needs to use the search function while the sum of your experience in that realm is E-brake sliding your mom's minivan in a Best Buy parking lot.

Congratulations!

Originally Posted By: Garak

I can not believe I am actually defending XOM and M-1 in particular. OVERKILL you should step I feel dirty speaking up for Mobil One.

There you go. If they don't like Mobil, they can switch to QS.
wink.gif

I currently am using QS. I can not tell any difference from PU. Now I have that out of my system we can get back on topic to M-1. I feel cleaner now after defending M-1.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Instead of calling someone a basher, how about respecting their right to choose their own products and/or share their own experiences with whatever brand they may use, without ripping into them, diminishing their credibliity and browbeating them with marketing drivel.

Look at this thread; some guy just wants to try other products, and no matter what reason they give, to the 'family', that's bashing. Now the thread is an infinite loop of marketing [censored] and goofy testimonials.
How insane is that?
The guy just mentioned trying a different brand.

It's not the OP that's the basher, it's some of the posters I was refering to. No need to get excited with the rhetoric and drama.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Doug is too polite to call you on it but that isn't going to stop me here. YOU obviously failed with the search function.

In case you missed it: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

Was written by the same guy who you just openly flamed and said can't use the search function. I'll go out on a limb and bet that Doug has more oil analysis experience in the last 30 minutes than you'll accrue in your lifetime.

I'd also argue he has more experience with lubricants in general than the collective of everybody else in this thread, covering tens of millions of Km's of real world testing working WITH OEM's AND various lubricant manufacturers INCLUDING Castrol(BP), SOPUS and ExxonMobil.

You've just done the most epic troll of all. You called out a guy with more experience, more expertise and more cred than you will EVER have on this board even if you are here the next 30 bloody years. Oh, and on top of the extensive experience I already mentioned, Doug is a recognized expert in the field of OTR truck maintenance and his publications are nationally recognized in Australia. I know, because I have one of his bloody books!

You've just done the BITOG equivalent of telling Sabine Schmitz that she doesn't know anything about race cars and she needs to use the search function while the sum of your experience in that realm is E-brake sliding your mom's minivan in a Best Buy parking lot.

Congratulations!

I must say this is the funniest thing I have read in a while. I will tell you this. Your oil god you bow to has not run it in a E-TEC II motor where it showed instant clatter and rough idle and poor fully warmed up performance. I have. Would you use that oil again, no matter the brand? Would you run it 30,000 miles because someone online says its normal for a superior oil to exhibit such traits? Heck no. Then when people come here and post [censored] man, yall said this iis the oil the gods use, why is my car so noisy now, drink the oil and run rough. Then the fans come in with run it for 20,000-30,000 miles. Yeah right. Somehow it will smooth out after 30,000 miles. Say what? All that tells me is hey man, let the sludge build up so it can dampen the noise. No way 30,000 miles of a noisy oil will magicaly get more quiet as you use it.

The real trolls are the ones handing out faulty advice to keep filling the motor with it. That is some seriously flawed advice. Also observe I never tell anyone to use my brand because the high iron in a UOA is normal in superior oil, the consumtion is more than normal over your old fill and the noise will become normal to you over time. I have only said use what works best in your application. If M1 works fine for you with extra noise and consumption then good for you. Not for me. (I am talking about me, not you)

Just get it through your head. I will bow, I will not convert. My Harley told me it likes VR1 best, so I use it. The Primary and trans told me to use Formula+. so I use that. CHM runs better in the car than M1 does, so I use it. It will never go in the truck. I wont risk the wasted money on it from hearing it in similar trucks that are used for working and not to go to starbucks for a half caf no milk latte as the heaviest load it will haul.

Some people prefer personal experience for the choices they make over what a fan club says on the internet. Nothing wrong with that. It is obvious the OP has an issue with the performance of M1, the fan boys say no way, its the best ever, dont use anything else it will hurt my (your) feelings. Who cares, its his truck, more than likely it will run better on something else.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Please define what you mean by extra wear

I look forward to your well balanced and definitive answer

Don't hold your breath, Doug.
smile.gif
You (and the rest of us) will be waiting for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back