Divorcing Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yeah. All I know is that I'm glad I use M1 given the spectacular condition of my engines (including the 1MZ-FE), and I'm certainly going to continue.

I had a ticking noise at startup on a hyundai 1.6 engine, put M1 5w20, drove couple miles, ticking was gone.

Put M1 in my cruze 1.8L, runs quiet, just like castrol edge, maybe even better.

Why all this bashing about M1, one of the top quality oil?

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
I had a ticking noise at startup on a hyundai 1.6 engine, put M1 5w20, drove couple miles, ticking was gone.

Many are oil sales folks, selling oil out of their trunk, trying to dis-lodge M1 as the leader in synthetics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

Many are oil sales folks, selling oil out of their trunk, trying to dis-lodge M1 as the leader in synthetics.

yeah, go on amazon.com and look at the reviews, nothing bad at all, and its pretty much everywhere like that, positive reviews, the only down side is the price, but eh, I trust M1 and 10$ wont make me change to lower quality oil.

I was gonna give you a "4" on the trollomter, but since people are actually taking this seriously, I'll bump it up to a "7". Well done!

Originally Posted By: tig1

I used to sell M1 outta my trunk, I'm not kidding!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Cool. TOTAL/Elf oil continues to be the #1 factory fill of Hyundai/Kia, Nissan, Renault, Scania.

What is the factory fill for the Nissan GT-R?

What's the #1 factory oil fill for Diahatsu?

Answer my question. I posed it to you. I did not ask for additional questions on irrelevant vehicle brands.

You don't get it, [censored] contests like that are a joke and product contracts tell me nothing, that's what my replies have impllied.

These moronic factory-fill sponsorship persuasions, putting brand names on oil caps etc. is all such foolishness, where anyone half-awake can tell that these gimmicks only benefits "brand X motor oil" to be 'factory fill' in supercars.

Think about it, is there anyone really dim enough to BELIEVE that any given manufacturer does not have a choice but to choose 'brand X's superior product', because they're the only blender that could supply an oil good enough fer muh supercar? Come on. Manufacturers probably get it for free in stunts like this, as payback for the hard-linked product endorsement. Marketing isn't cheap and is well worth a few thousand sumps worth of the stuff

If I was playing that "my daddy can beat up your daddy game", as a grown adult, I would have retorted that Shell Helix is factory fill in Ferrari, for example. But the branding of supercar 'factory fill' contracts, is only consequential to an idiot IMO.

I'm not divorcing Mobil 1, but we are in an open relationship,
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
smile.gif

Good one. But I bet she gets around more than you do though. All I can say is use a quality filter.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
smile.gif

Good one. But I bet she gets around more than you do though. All I can say is use a quality filter.

It's always true the motor oil has the advantage in that situation.
laugh.gif
I have a canister filter, so at least I can inspect it every change without cutting and tearing
laugh.gif

Mobil 1 will have to wait for me to be done with the GC 0W-30 and Havoline Syn 5W-30 before I take her back
smile.gif

These moronic factory-fill sponsorship persuasions, putting brand names on oil caps etc. is all such foolishness, where anyone half-awake can tell that these gimmicks only benefits "brand X motor oil" to be 'factory fill' in supercars.

Think about it, is there anyone really dim enough to BELIEVE that any given manufacturer does not have a choice but to choose 'brand X's superior product', because they're the only blender that could supply an oil good enough fer muh supercar? Come on. Manufacturers probably get it for free in stunts like this, as payback for the hard-linked product endorsement. Marketing isn't cheap and is well worth a few thousand sumps worth of the stuff

If I was playing that "my daddy can beat up your daddy game", as a grown adult, I would have retorted that Shell Helix is factory fill in Ferrari, for example. But the branding of supercar 'factory fill' contracts, is only consequential to an idiot IMO.

Thank god we're discussing motor oil and not dishwasher detergent. Those discussions can get heated!

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
smile.gif

Haaha... both of you, touché!

You are the one that brought up the factory fill topic. You are the one that does not get Mobil One is the factory fill for Cars that are engineered with little to no consideration of compromise in relation to production cost. OEM's are not going to cheapen their product and recommend a subpar lubricant then again judging by your signature you may allow your personal rhetoric get the best of your judgement regarding one of the best engineered lubricants in the world.

I can not believe I am actually defending XOM and M-1 in particular. OVERKILL you should step I feel dirty speaking up for Mobil One.

You are the one that brought up the factory fill topic. You are the one that does not get Mobil One is the factory fill for Cars that are engineered with little to no consideration of compromise in relation to production cost. OEM's are not going to cheapen their product and recommend a subpar lubricant then again judging by your signature you may allow your personal rhetoric get the best of your judgement regarding one of the best engineered lubricants in the world.

I can not believe I am actually defending XOM and M-1 in particular. OVERKILL you should step I feel dirty speaking up for Mobil One.

lol.
this kinda stuff actually scares me.

lol.
this kinda stuff actually scares me.

You are scared of common sense and facts. That is a new one.

I'm scared of what's in that Kool Aid!! Yikes

Do not let the fact Mobil One has the most certifications, OEM approvals, and OEM recommendations and no other blender has been able to substantiate claims it blends a superior lubricant get the best of you.

Do not let the fact Mobil One has the most certifications, OEM approvals, and OEM recommendations and no other blender has been able to substantiate claims it blends a superior lubricant get the best of you.

You're not doing the trademark correctly, it's Mobil 1

Incomprehensibly spouting "the most" and "number one" or making any appeal to authority or popularity without any hint of a context is just a bunch of "number 2" to me.
wink.gif

I will never bow down!!!!!! lolol

Hi,
jrustles - You said this;

"These moronic factory-fill sponsorship persuasions, putting brand names on oil caps etc. is all such foolishness, where anyone half-awake can tell that these gimmicks only benefits "brand X motor oil" to be 'factory fill' in supercars."

Well in my experience your comments are quite a joke! I've spent most of a working lifetime being involved with various Oil Companies and Vehicle and Engine Manufacturers and I can assure you that the technical linkages are very very real!

Typically Vehicle and Engine Manufacturers will have more than one source of FF lubricant supplier. There may be one "contracted-preferred" or "prime" supplier but the others are all part of the production system! Some of the others simply do not have the facilities to become a Prime supplier

As for collaboration on technical developments - well it goes back many many decades. Perhaps to the Karl Benz & Gottlieb Daimler days!!!

In "recent" times for instance the 20W-50 viscosity was developed in the 1950s via Austin-Morris (BMC) and Duckhams for the "Mini" - Q2050 was the result. Every other Oil Company followed that lead. In the 1930s synthetic lubricants were developed by tight collaboration too - but I won't go into details here

Various drive line lubricants have been developed by collaboration. Many designs may never have been possible without Oil Company expertise and testing assistance

In recent times I believe the Technical collaboration has become stronger as numerous design and regulatory developments take place at various levels.

I've worked closely on Independent field testing with both parties - over many years. The depth of collaboration is quite amazing and very costly!!!

On a more "visible" front - time spent in recent times at the Nurburgring and other locations with Manufacturers, Oil Companies and Third Party suppliers has confirmed that intense collaboration is still alive and well

In the end Tenders may be let for FF supply - but the collaborating parties use their relationship to get the best results for all concerned - including the end user! That's been my experience!!

And yes, lubricant suppliers do "cover" for design/production defects from time to time!!

It’s not the ‘factory fill’ payola marketing tripe that compels my motor oil purchases.

Rather, the factory approvals (e.g., LL-01 and/or 229.50) speak volumes imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back