Honda real time AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ground clearance is what gets you in snow. Even though its not the best AWD system with good all season or even better snow tires it will do just fine until the snow gets to deep.

My buddy hi centered his G500 with BF Goodrich All Terrains on it last winter in 40in of snow. All 3 lockers engaged, all 4 wheels spinning. Only thing that got him out was the 6k pounds it weighs and the knobby nature of the tires were able to dig down to harder snow.

So if you drive like an idiot...nothing will help you...

Last edited:
Contrary to what someone said earlier, an AWD CR-V absolutely WILL drift and cut donuts in the snow; I've done it myself with ours. The AWD system adds very little to the vehicle in terms of weight (and there is a 1 MPG penalty), it lowers the center of gravity, and it improves weight distribution. It's loads more fun than FWD.

As long as you are reasonable with your expectations of what a car-based SUV will do in the snow, an AWD CR-V will not let you down.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Do some bloody research and stop drinking the kool aid

It seems you are the Kool aid drinker.

Sour grapes because you didn't buy a Subaru?
Excuses and more excuses is all we get from Honda fan club for the shortcoming of their cars.

This test was done by the USAC and certified, show some proof it was a Subaru sponsored test! You cant! Is every test including the one done by the German magazine also Subaru sponsored? LOL
Tell you sob stories to someone that will listen to that bloody tripe.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/usac-tests-traction-and-control-most-popular-mid-size-suvs

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive taken ski trips to VT and other snowy places in a friend's CRV. It does OK. It will burn the brakes and probably other items bad though. The car stinks if we do any real driving in really snowy and slippery conditions. And, my FWD saab with snow tires gets everywhere just as competently.

Its a feel good thing for folks who need it to feel safe. If you really want traction, get a proper vehicle with real 4LO and real LSDs and good tires.

But the commercial on TV said all I need is AWD ...

I'm not a huge fan of these afterthought AWD systems. "Hey, lets just stick a really weak box on the transaxle where the right side axle shaft goes and make that a 4x4 system!"

While not a CRV....my Honda Ridgeline is EXCEPTIONAL in snow and ice. Best vehicle I've EVER driven during nasty, treacherous conditions. I had a Subaru once with AWD....it worked in snow....but not really comparable to my Ridgeline. The clearance I get in deep snow is fantastic. Last winter during a rare, slippery wet snow event in my area...most folks stayed home. I went to work and came home with no issue. Many folks attempting the same were in the ditch at every hill climb. Including "real" 4x4 vehicles and a couple of Subaru's. I was actually waved down by some folks on the side of the road trying to tell me NOT try to climb the hill up ahead....I knew this hill and my Ridgeline's abilities. I climbed with ZERO effort and minimal slip.
I can't speak for the CRV...but in reality it's more the ability of the driver than it is the vehicle to get around in poor conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Ive taken ski trips to VT and other snowy places in a friend's CRV. It does OK. It will burn the brakes and probably other items bad though. The car stinks if we do any real driving in really snowy and slippery conditions. And, my FWD saab with snow tires gets everywhere just as competently.

Its a feel good thing for folks who need it to feel safe. If you really want traction, get a proper vehicle with real 4LO and real LSDs and good tires.

I'm not a huge fan of these afterthought AWD systems. "Hey, lets just stick a really weak box on the transaxle where the right side axle shaft goes and make that a 4x4 system!"

In practice though, a CRV type system is good enough nearly all the time. You can all come to my hilly driveway this winter after just a 8" snow fall and see how well a fwd car with snow tires does, and how well a CRV with all seasons does. The CRV will get up with a little wheel spin and the fwd car won't.
If you come over again after some freezing rain, perhaps the magical AWD of a Subaru on ice tires may make it, and a CRV won't. Or maybe it will, if its cold enough to get some grip? Anyways, in some rare conditions, the differences in AWD systems show up, but most of the time, they all get the job done.

Unfortunately even VW's AWD is going the way of FWD first then AWD.

The last VW vehicle which isn't a Touareg to have decent AWD was the B5.5 Passat after that now it's all Haldex. Now thats not to say Haldex is bad, their recent system is great but in a supercar not a midsize. It is still FWD bias.

4 Motion used to have a mechanical center diff like Audi.

Modern Subaru's are not FWD based. They do have a FWD failsafe mode when paired with an automatic. The front diff is always mechanical in an automatic while some models had a mechanical center diff w/ electronic lockup. Most models now are clutched based. The power is usually split 60/40 even when dry and reversed in a more performance oriented car like a Legacy GT.

The manual's had a torsen center diff which tried to maintain an equal 50/50 between axles.

What it all comes down to nowadays is the programming. The car's AWD is only as good as the computer driving it. Subaru's being symmetrical helps prevent trq steer but without a decent traction & stability system it would be useless with open diffs front & rear.

Also most other AWD systems never will send more than 40% of power to the rear which depending on the circumstances another 10% could be all the difference.

I wanted AWD that I knew worked well a CRV would not be my first choice. If I wanted a better built car then I might choose the Honda.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

In practice though, a CRV type system is good enough nearly all the time. You can all come to my hilly driveway this winter after just a 8" snow fall and see how well a fwd car with snow tires does, and how well a CRV with all seasons does. The CRV will get up with a little wheel spin and the fwd car won't.
If you come over again after some freezing rain, perhaps the magical AWD of a Subaru on ice tires may make it, and a CRV won't. Or maybe it will, if its cold enough to get some grip? Anyways, in some rare conditions, the differences in AWD systems show up, but most of the time, they all get the job done.

I had that happen in a friends driveway. They all made it up, nary a snow tire to be seen. Except on mine. Which couldn't make it. Pitch the front end of a fwd car up, and all bets are off.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

No I fwd with snows will I know, I've done it you just need enough forward momentum.

Edit: Also depending on the grade...I know it won't climb pikes peak lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Contrary to what someone said earlier, an AWD CR-V absolutely WILL drift and cut donuts in the snow; I've done it myself with ours. The AWD system adds very little to the vehicle in terms of weight (and there is a 1 MPG penalty), it lowers the center of gravity, and it improves weight distribution. It's loads more fun than FWD.

As long as you are reasonable with your expectations of what a car-based SUV will do in the snow, an AWD CR-V will not let you down.

I agree with the above post. My wife's 08 CR-V AWD has been a great little vehicle. We don't get a lot of snow here but it has surprised me at how well it will go when we do get snow. I too have done donuts and drifted her CR-V....in fact my wife has done a few too!

Not sure how the newer ones are but the 08 CR-V is a dream to do basic fluid changes on. The oil/filter, transmission drain plugs and rear diff are a breeze to access and change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

Excuses and more excuses is all we get from Honda fan club for the shortcoming of their cars.

This test was done by the USAC and certified, show some proof it was a Subaru sponsored test! You cant! Is every test including the one done by the German magazine also Subaru sponsored? LOL

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/usac-tests-traction-and-control-most-popular-mid-size-suvs

Subaru AWD is great for sure. I have the pure mechanical bliss version with no traction nannies and rear LSD. It always claws it way out of something although clearance 5" seems to get the car. I still find situations where Subaru>Acura SH AWD and others Subaru
On testing Acura here only shows where it does well>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68 it surprises me with the Quattro here fails. Curious how Subaru would do here. My guess fine.

Another by USAC >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqzTsuPiTVA , just saying Honda can build a decent AWD system, just not so much the real-time version.

"Decent" is what I call the real time AWD system from Honda. It's not great, and it's not class-leading, but it certainly gets the job done when used as intended in real world situations. It won't climb an incline when half the car is on rollers? I think I can handle that; I'll do my best to avoid those roller-laden hills on my way down to the supermarket.

Hahaha! I feel sorry for you. The drivers were paid for the appearance and you don't find it curious that the Symmetrical AWD is the only system mentioned by name or that the video is used on their website? The USAC is for sale as other mfrs. use them as well. And don't send people to a brand page on torquenews.com, every brand page on that site (Honda and Acura included) are contributed to by editors/bloggers that are incredibly biased.

"Decent" is what I call the real time AWD system from Honda. It's not great, and it's not class-leading, but it certainly gets the job done when used as intended in real world situations. It won't climb an incline when half the car is on rollers? I think I can handle that; I'll do my best to avoid those roller-laden hills on my way down to the supermarket.

Good way to put it.

That situation is the end of my driveway with incline to road
smile.gif
. The slush freezes up and turns into pure ice in freeze overnight/thaw during day. Basically the rear wheels have to get you up which the Subaru and Acura manage. Same situation failed with Sienna AWD and Mazda CX-5.

I gave serious thought to RAV4 a while ago, and one of its allures was the "lock" button. Instead of waiting until the rear slips to engage the rear (or to deliver more than 10% torque, whatever) you could "command" it to "lock" the rear in at 50%. And above a certain speed (35mph?) it would revert back to its FWD bias. Not a perfect system but seemingly good on paper. If it got better than 30mpg I'd give some thought to it as a daily driver, but I just so rarely need AWD that it's not on the radar (anymore).

Originally Posted By: supton
I gave serious thought to RAV4 a while ago, and one of its allures was the "lock" button. Instead of waiting until the rear slips to engage the rear (or to deliver more than 10% torque, whatever) you could "command" it to "lock" the rear in at 50%. And above a certain speed (35mph?) it would revert back to its FWD bias. Not a perfect system but seemingly good on paper. If it got better than 30mpg I'd give some thought to it as a daily driver, but I just so rarely need AWD that it's not on the radar (anymore).

The RAV4 system works well in tough stuff with software diff lock. My sister has an 2008 and it is a joke in deeper snow like many of the FWD+ AWD systems. Click the switch and it just goes.

OT, but my AWD 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2.7L was AMAZING in deep stuff or icy conditions. Great vehicle aside from the 20-23mpg average tank/tank.

You could never go wrong with a CRV, other than a Subaru will get a few more MPGs.

Hahaha! I feel sorry for you. The drivers were paid for the appearance and you don't find it curious that the Symmetrical AWD is the only system mentioned by name or that the video is used on their website? The USAC is for sale as other mfrs. use them as well. And don't send people to a brand page on torquenews.com, every brand page on that site (Honda and Acura included) are contributed to by editors/bloggers that are incredibly biased.

Done feel sorry for me i am not the fan boy that bought 2 of these things.lOL
If you had a clue about what you are talking about you could be taken more seriously but unfortunately you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back