18mm wrench not so popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It depends what you're working on, but 16 and 18 mm can be quite rare. A decent number of socket and wrench sets skip those sizes.

Every bicycle pedal ever uses 16mm flats. Or are they 5/8"?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
18mm is an unusual size for automotive stuff. Most of the wrench sets will not include that.

It used to be vanishingly rare, but not anymore!

In the old days you fix anything German (DIN)with 8/10/13/17/19/22
And Japanese (JIS) with 8/10/12/14/17/19/21.

But ISO changed that to 10/13/16/18/21.

Originally Posted By: djb
Originally Posted By: dparm
18mm is an unusual size for automotive stuff. Most of the wrench sets will not include that.

It used to be vanishingly rare, but not anymore!

In the old days you fix anything German (DIN)with 8/10/13/17/19/22
And Japanese (JIS) with 8/10/12/14/17/19/21.

But ISO changed that to 10/13/16/18/21.

I did not know it was because of ISO Standard... but yes I have also found it seems there is different "metric" use typically on what variety car one is working on.

Stupid sizes are the worst.

I only have respect for the JIS sizes.

19mm can be turned with a 3/4
14mm can be turned with a 9/16
etc

Thank you JIS

No thank you ISO.
Put short, any metric size on this chart that is not displayed (17mm 11/16 should be on there), is an idiotic size.
mm-inches2.png

My jeep could be stripped to the frame and rebuilt with a 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 and 3/4 except for the [censored] Torx screws on the dash, cage, windshield frame.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I guess Sears is my only other option.

Forget about HF and Sears for wrenches. Look in your yellow pages and find yourself a good industrial supply store to go to. Get yourself a Proto or Armstrong 18mm combination wrench.

That Allen is way too short for me. Everything I've experienced in 18mm is very tight. My Buick has 18mm in motor mount nuts, transmission mount nuts, ball joint nuts, tie rod end nuts, and lower control arm bolts. I'm actually in need of an extra long combination wrench. Even the long pattern is too short for ball joint nuts. I'm having to use all the strength I can possibly muster to get that castle nut lined up for the cotter pin. An extra long combination wrench would do wonders. I'm either going to get a Cornwell or a Snap-on.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'll get some hate for this, but I like to treat myself to an HF visit once a month. What can I say.. Its an awesome store!

I guess Sears is my only other option. I wonder how the warranty will work when they go under and some Chinese company purchases the brand??

Cheap tools from HF are a "treat" but you're worried about breaking your one item from Sears?

I don't think I understand the concern.

Check Craigslist for some used Snap-On wrenches. Never know what you might score. I picked up about 10 large sized wrenches from a retiring diesel tech for $5 each. I only worked on passenger vehicles at my job but they sure do come in handy for working on my tractor at home.

I have some open ended snap on wrenches. Flank drive plus.

They have an 18mm and have treated me VERY well

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Stupid sizes are the worst.

I only have respect for the JIS sizes.

19mm can be turned with a 3/4
14mm can be turned with a 9/16
etc

Thank you JIS

No thank you ISO.
Put short, any metric size on this chart that is not displayed (17mm 11/16 should be on there), is an idiotic size.
mm-inches2.png

17mm & 11/16" do not cross, Nor 14mm & 9/16", 1/2" & 13mm is iffy. Try putting a new 1/2" socket on a 13mm headed fastener.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That Allen is way too short for me. Everything I've experienced in 18mm is very tight. My Buick has 18mm in motor mount nuts, transmission mount nuts, ball joint nuts, tie rod end nuts, and lower control arm bolts. I'm actually in need of an extra long combination wrench. Even the long pattern is too short for ball joint nuts. I'm having to use all the strength I can possibly muster to get that castle nut lined up for the cotter pin. An extra long combination wrench would do wonders. I'm either going to get a Cornwell or a Snap-on.

The same seller also carries KD, and Armstrong in that size.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back