5w50 synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some auto parts stores stores have Castrol.

Ford dealers have Motorcraft.

Amazon has Red Line (probably the best of the bunch).

What's the application?

maybe a 52pickup?

he obliviously doesn't want a recommendation.. just where to find any 5w50.

answer large retailer online.

select local stores very overpriced.

amazon link

summit racing

looks like o'riellys auto carries
5w50 castrol locally.
O O O O O'Riellys

Last edited:
I use the Motorcraft, but that is due to having cases on hand at work. Mobil has one that is usually special order. Redline makes one also that is pricey.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
It's really impossible to make an actual recommendation without knowing the application.

Exactly.

That said there probably aren't any 5W-50s that are actually "good", they are all very shear prone with the possible exception of RL 5W-50. Not that that that necessarily is an issue again depending on the application. The grade also has a very large range of virgin viscosities ranging from HTHSV 4.0cP to 5.0cP if not higher.
BTW, there is only one 5W-50 grade on the Porsche A40 list of approved oils and that is M1 5W-50 which is also shear prone but it is heavier than the spec' M1 0W-40 if you need something heavier in whole or part (as you can blend them).

And likely the main point to be aware of is that of the few modern specialty applications that spec' the grade probably none actually require an oil that heavy for normal street use and will run better on something lighter.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
That said there probably aren't any 5W-50s that are actually "good"

The Lexus LFA uses 5w-50 !!!

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
That said there probably aren't any 5W-50s that are actually "good"

The Lexus LFA uses 5w-50 !!!

And 5W-50 is spec'd for my Caterham so what's you're point?

The Motorcraft 5w50 is so shear-prone, it probably shears to a 40-grade when you pour it out of the bottle. If that oil is run hard, it ends up a 30-weight. So why not start with a 5w30 that doesn't shear?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I just noticed that Mobil 1's site now lists 5W-50 as available in the American market, not that I've ever seen it in a store...

It's been around, but I only saw it on a shelf at a NAPA once. Amazon has had it available for a while.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The Motorcraft 5w50 is so shear-prone, it probably shears to a 40-grade when you pour it out of the bottle. If that oil is run hard, it ends up a 30-weight. So why not start with a 5w30 that doesn't shear?

I do not know of many 5W50's that are not shear prone even Red Line shears in 5W50 grade.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I took a look over at the VOA page and couldn't find any VOA's of 5w/50 oil.

ROD

Go to advanced search,search the VOA forum,and type "BobFout" in the screen name search. He did alot of VOAs here. Thanks Bob!

I also have read Red Line VOA's for 5W50. The 210F SUS viscosity is around 102 and after 2K miles of use UOA's show it shearing down to the 90 SUS viscosity range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back