Tim Hortons to be bought out by Burger King?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I don't get this, I was under the impression that if you wanted good baked goods you went to a bakery. I mean who goes to a cheap chain and expects high quality food? Its about speed and price.

You know this and I know this.
Maybe now you can get a personal flaming from some Canadian too.
Some people don't seem to understand that places like BK and TH are all about high turnover of low cost goods.
I don't eat at these places because for a few bucks more, you can get something really good. There are even a couple of national internet guides to good local eateries. Roadfood is a good example. Not as cheap as TH or BK, but you do get what you pay for.
I fail to see anything tragic in one chain acquiring another, especially since this appears to be a gambit to avoid American corporate income tax rates, a game that may be on its way to a screeching halt, in which case all of this pretending to be based in some country where you do only a small share of your business may no longer shield you from paying your share of US taxes.

But I don't expect people like you to have any understanding of that aspect of life, you've been trained to ignore other things which makes for a one dimensional life, which also decreases the quality of life for others that do not agree with your single minded outlook.

That kind of single mindedness takes a product that was made with pride (even if it is a donut, or coffee) and just turns it into another commodity that is a tool for greed.

I'm going to keep right on "itching" because after all
it takes all kinds to make the world go round, doesn't it?
smirk.gif
[/quote]

one who doesn't concur with your conspiratorial and jaded way of thinking has a "one dimensional life", or has a "single minded outlook".that's funny. you have a funny way of giving jabs at people, using misdirection to try and make your opinion look credible, while making another's opinion appear wrong/one dimensional.the intelligent bitogers see through you transparent attempts, and laugh at you.few posters ever agree with you -- check out the posts following your attempt to discredit my post.but, you do it in an acceptable fashion, so that's o.k.
as far as you keeping on "itching" -- we all know that your "itching" will never stop. but, that's o.k., as well.
we'll just have to agree to disagree.at any rate, have a good evening. just about to play cards/chew the fat. remember to smile next time you buy fuel.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

You know this and I know this.
Maybe now you can get a personal flaming from some Canadian too.
Some people don't seem to understand that places like BK and TH are all about high turnover of low cost goods.
I don't eat at these places because for a few bucks more, you can get something really good. There are even a couple of national internet guides to good local eateries. Roadfood is a good example. Not as cheap as TH or BK, but you do get what you pay for.
I fail to see anything tragic in one chain acquiring another, especially since this appears to be a gambit to avoid American corporate income tax rates, a game that may be on its way to a screeching halt, in which case all of this pretending to be based in some country where you do only a small share of your business may no longer shield you from paying your share of US taxes.
LOLOLOLOL, Warren Buffet, GE, and the like are buddied up with the people making the rules. Ain't nothing going to happen to big businesses. Simple pandering to the low information crowd.

Last edited:
UPDATE!

Burger King will spend 11.4 billion $ to buy Tim Hortons

I have not eaten at a BK in many years and now never will again, nor will I set foot inside a Tim Hortons again either.

It's pretty amusing to see the nasty comments on BK website they are getting tons of comments from CURRENT customers that say they will never patronize the company again.

Tax dodgers!
02.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah. Or they could offer a burger patty stuffed between two donuts. They could call it the Whoppernut.

crackmeup2.gif

I changed my mind. I think it should be called the Doughper.

What this takeover/buyout will accomplish is all the new Burger King outlets will share the same new building with Tim Horton's, (hypothetical) one on the north side - one on the south side of the building. Probably with two drive-thru windows.

We'll see.
Thing is that the people making the rules need tax revenue and corporate tax take today as a proportion of total tax take is a small fraction of what it was fifty years ago.
The people making the rule are finally figuring out that they've been duped.
The consequences are coming for those who have duped them.
Anyone who doesn't get this is a charter member of what you call the low information crowd.
In a different arena, what the feds just forced Bank of America to shell out is a portent of things to come.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There have been TH's and Wendys in the same building but I figure the franchisee was allowed to have "competition". Much like DD's and Subway under one roof, or Subway and Domino's.

Wendy's owned Tim Hortons for a while.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Miller88
One of my biggest disappointments in moving to Syracuse was Tim Hortons. Growing up, I used to watch Red Green and would always hear about the Tim Hortons 'right off the 401'. When I moved here I tried their coffee ... yuck! Tastes a bit too chemical laden for me
frown.gif

Hmmm, usually I find TH pretty consistent from store to store, the odd time I might get a "burnt" pot, which isn't nice.
Overall TH's is nothing special, but they are the only coffee chain here that isn't dirty inside and they have high standards for consistency between stores. They also have a good ad agency and have imbedded themselves in Canadian culture, but I think their lack of success in the US shows that without the cultural advantage, they are just a notch above the average coffee chain, but nothing spectacular.
But the cleanliness and the consistency factors, make TH's my choice 95% of the time...

I found their coffee entirely consistent...the thing was, it was consistently horrible! It was instant "coffee" bad.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Think of it like a Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks it is an Canadian restaurant.

We just got a Dunkin Donuts a couple of years ago. IMO, it's really bad - probably the worst donuts I've ever had.

If they're like that, Burger King won't hurt them any.

DD hasn't been about donuts in years...it is ALL about the coffee!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I just had a TH donut. It was pretty bad. I'll take KK donut anytime, even if it's KK from a grocery store.

Need to have them when they are warm and from a relatively busy store. My city, of roughly 100,000 people (though the population signs tell you it is a fair bit lower than that.... they are wrong) has 14 Tim Hortons in it. They are ALL busy. I can't see the stores, south of the border, being anywhere near as busy as the ones up here in the GWN.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I found their coffee entirely consistent...the thing was, it was consistently horrible! It was instant "coffee" bad.

I don't call it "bad," just not great. It is consistent, though. I prefer Robin's coffee, but it can be inconsistent. You get a bad batch of that, and you know it.
wink.gif
The new Horton's dark roast is out, and I tried that yesterday. It was decent, but only lukewarm for some reason. That's an anomaly. It's usually hot as heck.

The coffee I like the best, oddly enough, is from local Chinese restaurants. They often buy from the same supplier in eastern foods and use totally different brands than what other restaurants use. I don't know what it is, but I like it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Think of it like a Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks it is an Canadian restaurant.

We just got a Dunkin Donuts a couple of years ago. IMO, it's really bad - probably the worst donuts I've ever had.

If they're like that, Burger King won't hurt them any.

DD hasn't been about donuts in years...it is ALL about the coffee!

DD Overpriced coffee too. Its costs the nearly the same a Starbucks cup yet is the juice of blue collar and white collar alike. Not a fan of starbucks either but I like it better as it does not require a quart of cream and cup of sugar to become drinkable. DD contributes to fatness of America!!!!

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
UPDATE!

It's pretty amusing to see the nasty comments on BK website they are getting tons of comments from CURRENT customers that say they will never patronize the company again.

You think you can trust people that go to BK. If the awful food didn't keep them off BK property I doubt far away business decisions will have much impact.

Originally Posted By: hatt
If the awful food didn't keep them off BK property I doubt far away business decisions will have much impact.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
UPDATE!

Burger King will spend 11.4 billion $ to buy Tim Hortons

I have not eaten at a BK in many years and now never will again, nor will I set foot inside a Tim Hortons again either.

Tax dodgers!
02.gif

You should do something that many people find very difficult: READ.

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/burger-king-wants-deal-tim-hortons

"There are other reasons that this might not be an obvious a tax-inversion deal. If being based in Canada is more favorable, from a tax perspective, one might expect Tim Hortons to have a lower effective tax rate than Burger King. But, in fact, the individual companies have similar effective tax rates, of about twenty-seven per cent. Also, the tax inversions that the government is trying to avoid tend to involve large companies acquiring much smaller foreign ones, largely for the tax benefit of moving their headquarters. But while Americans might assume that Burger King is much larger than Tim Hortons, it’s not. Before news of the talks emerged, Tim Hortons was worth about eight billion dollars and Burger King around nine billion dollars; the combined company will do a significant portion of its business in Canada."

One major thing people fail to understand is, US EFFECTIVE corprate tax rates are very competitive since US tax code has so many deductions and credits.

In addition, the new company will still pay US corporate income tax on it's US earnings. That includes new revenue from the Tim Horton's side. It seems to me this deal is more about growing both brands since Hortons has tried to expand beyond Canada without much success and Burger King is digging itself out of a hole and trying to compete with MCds and Wendys.

Last edited:
Drew99GT:

I don't need you to lecture me.

I know the story includes more than the tax issue, I also know that if you account for the US specific standards that our corporate tax rate compares on par with many developed nations today. The problem is that it takes a lot of effort for companies to wade through that data and convince others where the standards are quite different. Many want to streamline US corp tax codes so that the various elements can be easily and quickly compared by companies who need the information.

That is why increasingly taking a company private and away from the perversions of the stock market can be a very positive thing.
A company can do whats best for its long term health, its service or products, and the customer, leaving the blood thirsty
shareholder out of the equation.

The CW that a business must always grow or die is absolute
nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back