Divorcing Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Valvoline VR1 synthetic in the Harley. I use Formula+ for the trans and Primary.

I use what works best for the application for what I own.

Hi,
DustyBones - You said this;

"Do some research into the thickening, the extra wear, the extra noise, the instant consumption."

Please define what you mean by extra wear - thanks!

Sometimes a Divorce makes both parties happier!!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
any approved lubricant in the appropriate grade will perform as expected.

Including Castrol?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Castrol:
2003330ivcg03.jpg

338iengine04.jpg

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
I'm thinking about divorcing Mobil 1 5W-30 and trying a different oil in my 2004 Tacoma with the 5VZ-FE. What are some good synthetic or even synthetic blends that I could try out for a 5k OCI. I'm thinking Pennzoil Syn Blend but I have not heard anything about it. Also my fellow Tacoma drivers, tell me what you use!

Ive used cheap synthetic M1 10w-30 in my V8 5.2L 98 Dodge Durango for 13 years and 120k miles with no issues. OCI was done at 5K interval. I just bought a six pack at Costco. Engine always ran great, did a lot of towing and off roading. Biggest issue i had with the SUV, is i had to replace the tranny. But that was my own fault for not doing proper ATF interval changes.

My BMW, stopped liking same oil M1 after a while even when i tried using Euro Blend at higher price tag, even though i always did a 5k OCI. So i switched brand and went to heavier oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DustyBones
I hear it all the time
Apophenia. Keep hitting the keyboard, brother. It's been boring here lately..

One thing I noticed with Mobil 1 today is that it's not used by as many automakers as factory fill as it used to be. XOM used to advertise and market to the public the fact that they are the exclusive factory fill and the recommended oil to more automakers than any other motor oil. That is no longer the case today. When you see the list of automakers that use Mobil 1 as the factory, you can't help but notice how short the list is.

Is it just a monetary thing or are the automakers noticing something in their longterm testing that we don't know?

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
One thing I noticed with Mobil 1 today is that it's not used by as many automakers as factory fill as it used to be. XOM used to advertise and market to the public the fact that they are the exclusive factory fill and the recommended oil to more automakers than any other motor oil. That is no longer the case today. When you see the list of automakers that use Mobil 1 as the factory, you can't help but notice how short the list is.

Is it just a monetary thing or are the automakers noticing something in their longterm testing that we don't know?

Maybe the competition has finally caught up to Mobil?

Look. I'm certainly no m1 fanboy however lets get serious here. Sure after Katrina Mobil had a problem however I don't recall reading about any engine failures.
Dusty. You've got a strong opinion,as I once had. I too noticed more noise when using m1 vs my trusty Amsoil however I don't have any failed engines either from using it.
Yes I too have noticed more noise using some M1 products but again let's get real here,more noise doesn't equate to more wear. Not in this world anyways.

If I got my oil for free it would be redline all the way however I don't. I gotta pay. So I buy what's on sale. I try to stock up on sopus products when my wallet allows me too but sometimes its Mobil that's on sale when I'm buying oil so I use it. And you know what,every engine in my stable is still running and is clean enough to perform surgery on.
So drop the Mobil bad nonsense. No I don't really like the company either but only a fool turns their nose up to a quality product when its half price,no matter what the brand.
To truly believe that an engine is going to last longer using this or that oil,of the same tier and identical service intervals,is absolute nonsense.
I currently have qsud/pp/PU/m1/Amsoil/RP and redline in my stash waiting for use and because winters coming I'll be using the m1 because of the great winter pumpability,and because it was half price.
When I can buy m1 for less than regular priced conventional only a fool buys the conventional.
Again,as most here know I am no fan of Mobil anything,but only an idiot pays more than they have to,and a guaranteed 10000 mile interval is nothing to sneeze at.

Good observation. You no longer see M1 stickers in the engine bays.

My guess, other oil brands got better and M1 is no longer the pinnacle.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a flame war over Mobil versus the rest. I just figured changing it up a bit and wanted opinions on another good oil. Going by Wal-Mart today thinking A SOPUS product like PP, PYB, or Pennzoil Syn Blend.

Originally Posted By: KGB7

It could be also be that other brands are offering lower prices to to become the factory fill.

Originally Posted By: kenv
You fans4life are kinda silly ya know.

Second reply. The fans4life club chimes in. Just like anyone who has a negative report let alone its just an almost average oil post.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1463726

All I`ve seen from this guy is troll posting,which is posting with the sole purpose to invoke a conflict.

No. The OP noticed it is what it is. Just a middle of the road oil. My only purpose is to let him know it is a wise decision. To move on, he will be happy. The try it a few OCI guys probably have no clue how horrible it sounds when someone defends medicore oil by saying that. The consumption will go down after a few changes, the noise means nothing and the list of other fan excuses to keep filling with it. Yall realize that a few changes is 20,000-30,000 miles these days. I could not imagine living with a rough running motor, adding a quart every 3-5K (equals enough oil for a whole oil change or more over 30,000 miles) just to make fans on a forum happy for their justification to use it. Looks silly. Any other brand of oil and the fans4ever clubbers would be like come on over to M1. Its the best ever. Not from what I have seen. It is at the bottom of the list after hearing the difference it made in the one car I tried it in, and the several cars and trucks my brother did after Motor craft oil made it sound so smooth.

I have yet to see actual scientific proof it is better and the extra wear in UOAs along with instant consumption and added engine noise would make it easy for me to choose otherwise, and it has. Let the OP will be happy he is moving on! He obviously does not have that one in a million motors that purrs like a kitty with M1. He will be happy with the pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

Including Castrol?

While I've seen numerous engines run on Castrol get that varnish, only the top picture is typical. That car had 130,000Km on it IIRC when I changed the VCG, oil change history is the dealer per the OLM, which would have used Castrol (BMW) 5w-30. The 2nd one was dealer for a large portion of its life but not sure what happened after that. It looked as you see it when we bought it.

And yes, "perform as expected" for BMW, seems to allow some varnish to happen if you follow the OLM, which was the case here.

There are enough pictures on the Internet of under valve cover shots of dealer serviced BMW's to show that this is indeed "as expected" for the manufacturer IMHO. It wouldn't meet my personal criteria here, but when speaking in the context of what the manufacturer expects, it appears they feel that some varnish build-up is OK.

Audi is the same way and they also use Castrol products at the dealer.

It would appear, just from what I've seen, but the guys who change early, instead of by the OLM, don't get the varnish.

Yes this. Also a former member that used "dusty" in his screen name.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Hollow
It is quite impression how so much Wrong can be contained in a single post.

Bravo new guy!

Are you sure this is a "new" guy? Four posts in and his posting content is almost the same as an former member.

It hasn't changed much, and the changes that have happened have been due to ownership changes of the brands.

-The VAG group traditionally used Castrol products (Volkswagen/Audi)
-Porsche has used, and continues to use Mobil products
-GM has used, and continues to use Mobil products
-BMW has used, but will no longer be using Castrol products, as their new contract is with SOPUS
-Chrysler has used, but will no longer be using Mobil products, FIAT had a pre-existing agreement with SOPUS and so that has now been extended to Chrysler after FIAT bought them.
-Mercedes has used, and continues to use, Mobil products

I think you are seeing what you want to see.

Originally Posted By: KGB7

There were very few engine bays that had the Mobil 1 stickers. Most of them were GM products. GM is now marketing their own oil "brand" (Dexos, which is made by Mobil anyways) and so the Mobil 1 logo has been replaced by that.

No. The OP noticed it is what it is. Just a middle of the road oil. My only purpose is to let him know it is a wise decision. To move on, he will be happy. The try it a few OCI guys probably have no clue how horrible it sounds when someone defends medicore oil by saying that. The consumption will go down after a few changes, the noise means nothing and the list of other fan excuses to keep filling with it. Yall realize that a few changes is 20,000-30,000 miles these days. I could not imagine living with a rough running motor, adding a quart every 3-5K (equals enough oil for a whole oil change or more over 30,000 miles) just to make fans on a forum happy for their justification to use it. Looks silly. Any other brand of oil and the fans4ever clubbers would be like come on over to M1. Its the best ever. Not from what I have seen. It is at the bottom of the list after hearing the difference it made in the one car I tried it in, and the several cars and trucks my brother did after Motor craft oil made it sound so smooth.

I have yet to see actual scientific proof it is better and the extra wear in UOAs along with instant consumption and added engine noise would make it easy for me to choose otherwise, and it has. Let the OP will be happy he is moving on! He obviously does not have that one in a million motors that purrs like a kitty with M1. He will be happy with the pennzoil.

You know, for a guy ripping on others for having opinions on a product, you seem to be expressing a whole heck of a lot of opinion yourself
smirk.gif

I have yet to see YOU post up any scientific proof of anything you've claimed in this thread. Yet you keep demanding others to provide scientific proof it is better. Nobody claims it is "better", simply that YOUR claims (extra wear, extra noise, consumption....etc) are not typical, even though you continue to pander them as being so. And one in a million motors? Like come on, hyperbole much? It is that kind of ridiculous statement that just continues to paint your posts in the light that people here have been taking them.

Then calling people "fans4ever" clubbers as if it adds legitimacy to your post is just the icing on the cake. You have an opinion, bravo! So do the rest of us. I think the only person in this thread who has posted ANYTHING with some actual evidence of an oil's performance has been myself. You certainly haven't provided anything of substance other than your opinion and that apparently using Mobil 1 makes your wife mad because it somehow drags the silverware drawer out of the house and deposits it beneath the valve cover.

Your "purpose" here seems to be to post your opinion as fact, back it with some anecdotes then deny you were mud slinging. Pander your opinion again, feign innocence, slag the product some more and then wrap it all up under the guise of "helping the OP". You haven't helped anybody. All you've done is help take a thread that didn't seem to have a whole heck of a lot of purpose in the first place and turn it into this epic of baseless banter, me-too-isms and shoot-from-the-hip junk science, capitalizing on the words of the "all opinion" folks who will latch onto any ridiculous claim as long as it meets the terms of their confirmation bias.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Bravo new guy!

Are you sure this is a "new" guy? Four posts in and his posting content is almost the same as an former member.

What is it about this place that make people hate to leave, and when booted they try and reinvent themselves?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Bravo new guy!

What is it about this place that make people hate to leave, and when booted they try and reinvent themselves?

That's a pretty 'far fetched' assumption to attribute to a 'long time lurker'.

...and OVERKILL, lets not swing the pendulum the other way and bash Castrol Synthetics, only because it's 'Dusty Rhodes' lube of choice.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back