Big three having a motor oil sales war?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
What sucks is I always need 6 quarts for an oil change. 5 quarts is a great deal if your car takes only 5 quarts. To buy the 6th quart costs another almost $8.00.

You know... you can pour one quart out of a five-quart jug and re-cap it for use later on.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
What sucks is I always need 6 quarts for an oil change. 5 quarts is a great deal if your car takes only 5 quarts. To buy the 6th quart costs another almost $8.00.

You know... you can pour one quart out of a five-quart jug and re-cap it for use later on.

HOLLY [censored] !! a MAJOR breakthrough in evolution !!!

Some guys are never happy......

Originally Posted By: crw
My ad says "made from natural gas".

Ok, but did you get the Platinum or Ultra Platinum 5 quart jug? I didn't know they even had Ultra Platinum in the 5 quart jugs available. They are both made from natural gas.

For the record, Castrol is now at $21.66 for 5 quart jugs. Plus the $5 off coupon from coupons.com brings it down to $16.66 so it's the winner for now.

And yes, my car uses 5.5 quarts and I get two 5 quart jugs. It burns a little too, never makes sense to get single quarts when you'll use it up eventually.

There have long been promos on premium OTS oils.
Going back eight years, XOM has frequently offered $10-$12 off a jug MIRS. There is a $12.00 off a jug of M1 MIR through 10/31 at selected retailers. I had to get two jugs at $10.00 each after MIR. SOPUS is always offering MIRs or BOGOs and even Castrol does now and then. GET probably sold the bulk of its G-Oil shipments FAR.
There are also often promos on cheaper oils, like the $5.00 off a jug currently offered on Defy and Rotella T5 and T6 and the FAR deals on Nextgen that just kept coming a couple of years back.
Deals on oil have always been around.
You just see a dry spell every now and then.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
There have long been promos on premium OTS oils.
Going back eight years, XOM has frequently offered $10-$12 off a jug MIRS. There is a $12.00 off a jug of M1 MIR through 10/31 at selected retailers. I had to get two jugs at $10.00 each after MIR. SOPUS is always offering MIRs or BOGOs and even Castrol does now and then. GET probably sold the bulk of its G-Oil shipments FAR.
There are also often promos on cheaper oils, like the $5.00 off a jug currently offered on Defy and Rotella T5 and T6 and the FAR deals on Nextgen that just kept coming a couple of years back.
Deals on oil have always been around.
You just see a dry spell every now and then.

It's been quite a dry spell for cheap/free oil lately. There was that QSUD free oil once. There was G-oil and then there was all those free Nextgen oil, still stuck with some Autozone gift cards from that sale. Only other thing you can really count on is Pep Boys having a black friday sale on conventional.

Originally Posted By: crw
Pennz Plat or Mobile 1 @ $22.66. Decisions, decisions...

Pennz Plat is $4.25/5 quarts....Fuel rewards....until Mobil 1 lowers there price quite a bit, there currently is no competition.

Originally Posted By: datech
are they dropping the prices for quart bottles, or just jugs?

They NEVER (at least Sino Mart) drop the prices on the quart bottles, I've ONLY seen them steadily creep U in price to where they are only a couple of bucks less than the more reasonably priced (NOT the $$$$; Motul 300V, Millers, Torco, etc.) 'boutique' oil quarts.

Just buy 2 jugs and save what is left for the next time
Never buy qts
The only time I do is when I find them for a dollar or less

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
They NEVER (at least Sino Mart) drop the prices on the quart bottles, I've ONLY seen them steadily creep U in price to where they are only a couple of bucks less than the more reasonably priced (NOT the $$$$; Motul 300V, Millers, Torco, etc.) 'boutique' oil quarts.

I think you're right, the only "good" prices I've seen on Walmart quart bottles is red price sticker closeouts, like old-style Pennzoil Ultra a few months ago.

It's a fact when oil prices go up sales on oil go down its the same with bulk oil when they charge more we buy less from them and more from someone who has better prices. I have seen the dust on the bottles when prices go up. My distributor's know we are a part of a buyers group of 11 repair shops and they treat us well.
oil in reality is oil and if it has the ratings we look for the only thing then is price and finding a reliable delivery service we trust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back