I bought--but not the Olds LSS or Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to say thanks to all for turning me on to the 3800 GM engine. I now own a own owner 100k 1998 Monte Carlo z34 bought at auction for $801.00. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Monte-...utorefresh=true

It was local so I was able to inspect the car. In the process I found the mans medical records with address and phone under the seat. Googled him, a 68 year old man. Not being shy I called him and he did all the oil changes and services.

The 1998 Olds LSS with 98k ($2450) had leather and the 99 regal GS ($2400) had the same with a roof but as a poor father of 2 this is quite a deal when you consider I am getting 1500 from the state to junk my oil burning Kia. It's a trade with cash back!!

Thanks...but, alas I was dreaming of driving that regal gs >>>>> Diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the scene with a gangsta lean (rip

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Wow, that is a LOT of car for $801! Good find.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Thanks...but, alas I was dreaming of driving that regal gs >>>>> Diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the scene with a gangsta lean (rip

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Wow, that is a LOT of car for $801! Good find.

I can dig it Brutha!!!
cool.gif

This cars motor is know for upper/lower intake & or gasket failure that can result in the premature death. Make sure the colant isnt leaking once you get it because you will have to replace it. The normally go out around 90k miles.

On a side note I love theses engines. Built like a rock and they get good gas mileage. Some are know to get 32 mpg highway.

Thanks....Do I just bit the bullet and do it if it's not leaking?
The unchanged oil from 2012 (the car sat unused)looked great.

Last edited:
It depends really. If its been recently replaced it might not need to be replaced again in quiet along time. Altho it wouldn't hurt to buy the parts and take it apart to look at its condition. If its in good condition simply put a new gasket in and let it be. Odds are tho if you plan to keep this car for 80k-100k miles you will need it regardless. Be worth keeping on hand.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
This cars motor is know for upper/lower intake & or gasket failure that can result in the premature death. Make sure the colant isnt leaking once you get it because you will have to replace it. The normally go out around 90k miles.

On a side note I love theses engines. Built like a rock and they get good gas mileage. Some are know to get 32 mpg highway.

Its not the engine that scares me, its one of the best in the business. Its the 4T65E thats scary.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its not the engine that scares me, its one of the best in the business. Its the 4T65E thats scary.

Great deal but Trav's right. If the shifts start to get harsh and hard, look into a Trans-Go shift kit. It may save it.

Also, confirm you're getting overdrive. There's a non-hardened shaft in these model years that would wear. It's possible to be driving in 3rd and not really notice it if you're not paying attention.

Was the heavy duty in the gs better?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: TMoto
Originally Posted By: Trav

Great deal but Trav's right. If the shifts start to get harsh and hard, look into a Trans-Go shift kit. It may save it.

Also, confirm you're getting overdrive. There's a non-hardened shaft in these model years that would wear. It's possible to be driving in 3rd and not really notice it if you're not paying attention.

I'd say that was a good deal, even with the potential cost of an intake manifold gasket factored in. I really enjoy the 3800 Series II in my Firebird so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back