why extra tire mounting fee for TPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some searches and came with this:

Quote:
Why does my installer charge a "TPMS" service fee for installing new tires?

Many of our Recommended Installers will charge a TPMS service fee as part of new tire installation. When the old tire is being removed from your existing wheel, it's best to remove the TPMS sensor (and the attached valve stem). This avoids any damage caused by breaking the tire bead loose from the wheel as well as seating the new tire onto the wheel. Once the sensor has been removed, it will require a new "O" ring and/or compression ring to seal the sensor properly.
- See more at: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-advic...h.5KTt0qa8.dpuf

This makes no sense whatsoever, as the TPS is inside and not outside.

So, why really the fee?

I just called Walmart that I use for mounting tires bought online and they say $12 to mount/balance/install and $10 fee for TPS (per tire).

That makes sense to me. The TPMS module is inside the wheel where the bead needs to pass around as the tire is mounted.

I could see where the the tire mounting process could potentially damage it if they're not careful.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
That makes sense to me. The TPMS module is inside the wheel where the bead needs to pass around as the tire is mounted.

I could see where the the tire mounting process could potentially damage it if they're not careful.

OK, so how do you put TPS back inside the tire after the tire is mounted? Maybe I don't understand the whole process.

Honda dealer broke mine and then tried to make me pay for it saying it was bc I didn't use nitrogen
smile.gif

I traded the car.

They broke it BC they mounted one of my new directional tires backwards and I had them reverse it. I think they were nasty mood when the remounted.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: EdwardC

OK, so how do you put TPS back inside the tire after the tire is mounted? Maybe I don't understand the whole process.

The sensor assembly bolts through the wheel.

It slows them down. Rather than just ripping the stem out and letting the air gush out the way they do with rubber stems, they have to dismantle the TPS stem assembly. Then rather than just poking a new rubber stem pre-loaded with a Schrader valve through the rim and yanking it into place with the same tool they used to rip the old one out, they have to assemble (at least...) the Schrader valve, maybe the whole TPMS.

If you've watched tire shops R&R old rubber valve stems, you quickly see the difference. The entire R&R of an old style rubber valve stem takes less than 3 seconds for a practiced tech, and there's nothing delicate or precise about it at all.

Video below... The guy on the right side of the car rips the two old stems out with the wheels still on the car (you can see the air vent). He then does the other two over by the mounting machine, and you have to watch *REAL* close to even see him pop the new stems into place while the wheels are on the mounting machine because its so quick (time index 1:41 is an example):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvcVvwKtk5Q

Last edited:
Part of it (guess) is to cover damaged ones that occasionally happen.

My installer charged (independent shop) charged me nothing in terms of TMPS last time I bought tires.

A few months ago, I had a puncture on my 2013 GC. DTD removed the tire, patched it, remounted and balanced it for 23.47 iirc. There was no charge for the TPMS. Looks like its no big deal.

Wayne

Most of them never unbolt the sensor as per the Best Practices.

Usually the fee is for the rebuild of the tpms sensor; many OEMs recommend replacing the o-ring with each tire replacement. Nissan says it right in their service manual.

I wouldn't let Walmart mount your tires. They'll scratch up the wheels (don't ask me how I know this) and they can't seem to balance tires correctly.

My local Toyota dealer only charges $80 to mount and balance 4 tires, which isn't bad at all.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

My local Toyota dealer only charges $80 to mount and balance 4 tires, which isn't bad at all.

Excellent idea. I'll ask them about pricing.

And if the TPS is more than 5 or 6 years old, it's probably a good idea to think about new ones (or new batteries if available) at re-tire time. Otherwise, there's a chance the TPS batteries will expire before the tires do.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Thanks. There is no removing the sensor, just paying attention not to damage it. Makes total sense. Yup, I suspected the TireRack description was B.S.

Originally Posted By: Doog

The sensor assembly bolts through the wheel.

Really?

PvFxlD1fYG1M5EfY29Dw2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Thanks. There is no removing the sensor, just paying attention not to damage it. Makes total sense. Yup, I suspected the TireRack description was B.S.

Some tire industry training documents have recommended for the sensor to be removed, but it's one of those things where -- what should be done in the ideal world, and one is practical in the real-world...are two different things.

Actually a lot them do have a hold down nut on the outer stem. On quite a few (but not all), that is all that holds the TPS on the wheel. I guess in that sense, they are "bolted through".

But you have to dismount the tire to replace or service a TPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back