Rotella T6 5w-40 in a Gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TrackerTracker
Found this link on shear strength testing of various oils.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Rotella ranks pretty low but am not sure of the validity of the test. Anyone on the forum know of any previous posts discussing such testing?

Many motorbike people who run this oil experience notchy and bad shifting gear box's after some miles, probably around 1000 miles, changing out the oil to properly rated bike oils puts the gearbox back to normal.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: MrMechanic
i have a 2004 ford explorer 4.0. been looking for a synthetic 5w-40 and saw shell has it at a great price. but it is diesel oil. will this oil harm my vehicle in any way? ex. cats, emissions, plug fouling etc. it is a "SM" rated oil and i use "SM" rated oil so is it safe of not. i know there is a weight difference but thats not my concern.

I use it in both gas and diesel engines.

I have been using R6 in both for several years too but maybe we should back off until if we see if Shell is going to be a stable company and label correctly.
smile.gif

Perhaps there are some real concerns in the world that needs our thoughts. Turning 63 it is now my view if one will run the the API rated motor oil specs in the owner's manual that any gas engine today will outlive the chassis and/or it owner.
grin.gif

Has the OP used the T6 in the 4.0 yet ? I figure being this old of a thread we could maybe gather some insight into this oil in this engine.........

I have SEVERAL gallons of T5,T6 and triple T, I would like to run the T6 in the 4.0V6..... I'm sure it will work just fine but guys on some ford forums curse at ya when you mention a 40wt in the explorer 4.0.....

Well just to jump in here, I have Rotella Triple T 15w-40 in my Subaru 4 banger. 166,000+ miles. The car runs just fine. I use it in the summer and will swap it out for T6 in the winter. The oil is good and so is the price. Just my .02.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
As long as you're not burning much oil you're fine. Even then I'm skeptical about ZDDP poisoning the cat.

There is no debate about the phosphorus in the ZDDP eventually damaging the catcon.

For a 5W-40 that is intended for gasoline engines, look at the 5W-40 or 0W-40 that are made for European gasoline engines. Kendall has an excellent 5W-40, Pennz 5W-40 & 0W-40, the Mobil 1 0W-40, and others. In your New Hampshire winters, a 5W-30 is probably the better choice.

http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploa...sler-en-TDS.pdf

Put RT6 and a Fram Synthetic filter in my 92 Caprice just now. We'll see how it shapes up. I have water injection on my engine, so I doubt I'll have any depositing issues.

Originally Posted By: TrackerTracker
Found this link on shear strength testing of various oils.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Rotella ranks pretty low but am not sure of the validity of the test. Anyone on the forum know of any previous posts discussing such testing?

This stupid testing is absurd and in no way represents an engine. Try the search function. This stupid link gets posted weekly by new members who think they've found the holy grail when in reality it's a one armed bandit and pert plus outperforms some motor oils in this particular absurd test.

So yeah. It's been discussed before,many times. That horse is beat,and beat,and beat,and beat.

And if shell didn't think that the t-6 was gasoline engine friendly I doubt very much there would be a gasoline spec posted on the bottle.
So let's get real here.
You are picking fights with guys who have forgotten more about oil than you know so maybe you should spend some time reading and absorbing real world info instead of spouting off rubbish.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
An 04 vehicle is made for API SL spec which would have had the same amount of ZDDP as Rotella does currently. It wasn't until SM was released in late 2004 that it was reduced (and even then only for energy conserving grades).

Really, it would probably be a great summer oil. Not sure I'd want a 40 weight in the winter in NH.

T6 is 5W so it may be fine south of the Artic Circle.
smile.gif

Been using t6 in several gasoline applications for a few yeArs now and nothing's blown up yet. It's dual rated for gas and diesel so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Been using t6 in several gasoline applications for a few yeArs now and nothing's blown up yet. It's dual rated for gas and diesel so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Same here. I do not grasp why people question if T6 is OK for gas engine when its spelled out clearing on the container it is SM rated which covers all gas engines except for engines calls for the SN rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back