What are effective ways to reduce emissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well so much for your previous post requesting someone else to stay respectful!

Los Angeles had significant smog problems which shut down schools and industry and created several hundred smog alerts a year. Other US and worldwide cities have had or currently have serious smog issues.

LA now has 3 times more vehicles than in the 60s and although not ideal, pollution is less due to strict regulations which have been adopted elsewhere.

Sure it may cost more as a result, but it would cost more not to solve such problems.

My last post was in referrence to a user making referrences to a new members potential appearance, just because she happens to be female. Please do not confuse the two.

California is not solving any problems by making things more expensive. They are fixing their smog issues by driving manufacturing out of the state and into other places that are more receptive and less restrictive to industry.

The unfortunate truth is that one state cannot change the planets health. For every ton of emissions or pollutants we reduce in our manufacturing processes, Asian countries increase theirs ten fold. Sad but true.
21.gif

OK so others should be respectful, but it doesn't apply to your reply to me. Got it.

Do you have evidence that Asian countries are putting out 10 tons of emissions or pollution for every ton we reduce?

While manufacturing may move elsewhere, the vehicles driven in the state are producing less emissions and those standards have been adopted across the US and beyond. So it seems that CA has successfully used regulation to reduce some emissions.

I think most people agree that reducing smog is a good thing.

No one is being rude.

I was speaking in generalities, and you are being petty. Of course I am not sure the exact figures of pollution that Asian countries increase as we decrease but I would assume the number is astronomical. Recent news articles have been circulating revealing that certain cities in China had to be darn near be evacuated due to environmental pollution.

Emissions from vehicles are the least of anyones worries. CO2 is not a danger to the environment and the rest of the emissions are a drop in the bucket when compared to the waste and pollution generated by nuclear power facilities, chemical plants, etc.

Caution: Strong language at the end.

Last edited:
Modern autos in the last few years practically emit flowers and baby bunnies compared with cars only a decade older.

In some nasty urban environments there is real evidence that the exhaust from a new car is cleaner than the original air ingested.

We have definitely reached the point of diminishing returns as far as gasoline powered cars goes. Many Californians do not agree that ever stricter rules on emissions from cars would be better.

IMO the smartest folks realize that simply getting the beaters and poorly running cars off the road would be far more effective.

Quote:
Modern autos in the last few years practically emit flowers and baby bunnies compared with cars only a decade older.
And why do you think that is? Is it because of the altruistic reasons from car manufacturers? How did that happen? Who do you think was responsible for that? *You* are the one who is always denigrating the entity responsible for the current clean cars!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
And why do you think that is? Is it because of the altruistic reasons from car manufacturers? How did that happen? Who do you think was responsible for that? *You* are the one who is always denigrating the entity responsible for the current clean cars!

I'm glad you were able to get that off your chest. Feeling better?

My only point was diminishing returns. IMO it makes no sense to pursue ever more expensive emissions regulations that obstruct both fuel economy and driveability. We already have VERY clean combustion in new cars and trucks!

Perhaps you could comment on that instead of your intense personal feelings towards me. Not everyone is this country is so naive as to imagine the govt loves them..

Note that it was published many years ago that if California took their budget for alternative fuel vehicles and simply bought every beater on the road for 4000 dollars EACH there would have been a greater difference in air quality AND a substantial boost in the economy as well.

I am not a person who dislikes our government, I simply dislike its perversion towards making politicians rich at our expense without benefit...

Yes, certain types like to denigrate the regulations that got us to clean up our air and the environment, while pointing at these achievements and saying "Look how clean we are now, why do anything more?" How quickly they forget that they were kicking and screaming the whole way down that road.

Remember how long it took the US to clean up its act? The developing world is still maturing into this also and it will take a similar amount of time and effort. That doesn't mean in the meantime that we should stop because they might be producing larger emissions. I like having clean air to breathe where I live.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Modern autos in the last few years practically emit flowers and baby bunnies compared with cars only a decade older...

crackmeup2.gif

Flowers and baby bunnies. Classic.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Yes, certain types like to denigrate the regulations that got us to clean up our air and the environment, while pointing at these achievements and saying "Look how clean we are now, why do anything more?" How quickly they forget that they were kicking and screaming the whole way down that road.

True, but there is a point of diminishing return. At some point clean is clean.

The OP's question was in regards to CO2 and equivalent greenhouse gases which make even the methane emission comments relevant. It has nothing to do with pollutants that cause photochemical smog or PM, the effects of which would all go away relatively quickly given half a chance.

The confusion makes me question how well some posters understand the basic science involved.

But to answer her question, we do as much as most companies world-wide, meaning absolutely nothing. But our electricity supply is 75% renewable, hard to beat that.

Good on UPS for taking it seriously and making an effort.

First off, what is the definition of "emission"?

1) NOX, HC, CO? Better engine management and regular tune up will be good. Also banning them illegal modification.

2) CO2 in general? Eat less meat and eat a more vegetarian diet. Meat takes a lot of energy and food to raise.

3) CO2 in cars? Buy a more efficient, smaller car instead of a big truck hauling air if you can. That's obvious isn't it.

4) All emission in general: birth control. Human consumes a lot in general and the fewer we are, the longer our resource last.

Now, are you going to do it first? or are you expecting everyone else but yourself to do it? or are you willing to do it while everyone else isn't doing it?

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Why do your posts come across as a marketing survey?

Perhaps because she works in Marketing for Chevron.

That's what her profile says, anyway...

Haha, nice. I haven't seen any offer of free oil, so I'm wondering why BITOGers have been so accommodating.

It's intriguing to know we're members of a 51,090 member thinktank and since companies that can lobby using deep pockets are listening to us ..let's shoot for real changes.

Roundabouts.Less stopping, less hard accelerating, less idling.

A smart traffic control system,everywhere,not just affluent cities.I can show you everyday where a pack of 50 to 100 cars, trucks,big rigs,everybody needs to come to a complete stop because one person pulled onto the grid at an intersection.This all day long folks.So wasteful.

If a pack of commuters is approaching an intersection,smart systems would let this pack of cars through before cycling.

Giving the flashing yellow at certain intersections that don't need a true red light, full stoppage event.

The OP is a troll trying to push some political agenda!

Originally Posted By: RachelMeyer
What are some of the most effective ways your company’s found to reduce your emissions?

Are these estimates realistic? How have anti-idling regulations affected your business?

What are some of your heat-related engine failure horror stories?

Based on this info, efficient engines are by far the most important keys to fuel efficiency. What are some of the fuel economy improvements you’ve made to your engine?

Why do your posts come across as a marketing survey? What business do you work for and are you paying BITOG for use of their member's information?

Oh and the best way to save the environment, is to kill yourself. Simply existing is depleting resources.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back