Push mower died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. I didn't think to check the flywheel key. Right now the mower is with my next door neighbor's adult son who works on old mowers as a hobby. I told him if he could get it running, his mom (elderly widow) could keep it at her house since her mower is on it's last legs and a new one would be a bit of a financial burden for her. I'll ask him about the flywheel key next time I see him.

When you say it won't crank, is it seized??? Will it rotate but won't start?? I never seen a valve get stuck which wasn't inactive for a long period. However that engine being a flathead, you can look in the sparkplug hole and rotate the engine and see the valves moving.No compression, maybe head gasket blew. Flywheel keys will affect spark timing, not compression.

unless someone has tampered with the headbolts or so, otherwise: I have yet to come across a single B&S flathead headgasket blowout so far.

They are so consistently thick and wide that it's almost impossible to blow out, except extreme head overheating.

those flatheads rely on the inertia of the flywheel to smooth out the pulsing of the power stroke in single cylinder fashion, so the key is known to shift/twist w/o user knowing or even hitting something like a stump. If the key is completely sheared off, then your timing is so far off that it will not even fire up the mixture incoming into each intake stroke.

valve rarely get stuck on those engines unless OP runs on old/rancid gas + no air filter to begin with.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
As far as push mowers go I think a MTD Yard Machine is the best you can get

lmao-seriously.jpg

derp5.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
As far as push mowers go I think a MTD Yard Machine is the best you can get

lmao-seriously.jpg

derp5.jpg

Yeah, for the price vs. features, if your tight on money and can't afford the Honda, the MTD yard machine is a [censored] good mower. Deck is steel, painted green, mulching capabilities, a very basic simple machine.

MTD YARD MACHINES 21" 3-in-1 Push Lawn Mower
41%2B1DOgoJAL.jpg

This thing is a [censored] good mulcher.... The steel deck never cracked, had ball bearing wheels.

Last edited:
This is a longshot.
But remove the rockercover and take a look at the pushrods.
They can bend and break.

We had a ridinglawnmower that just stopped in the middle of everything.
Me and my dad checked that it had spark, got fuel, got air and cleaned the carb but it still wouldnt start.
As a last thing to see if anything else was the problem i removed the rockercover and then i saw the problem.
1 pushrod was bent and the other was in 2 pieces.
Someone thought it was a good idea to make the pushrods from aluminium.

We traded in that one and bought a new instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back