do u measure the oil added to a mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I don't measure I don't want to overfill it but the dip stick is hard to read just after u add oil, as the oil is running down into the mower and slops on the dipstick where the fill mark is.so I have to wait til it runs down and settles out.

any way around this???? could measure but don't know I get it all out as I turn the mower uprise down, then back up.

Wait for it to settle. Unless you know specifically how much oil is in the sump and how much the mower calls for, it's all you can really do. It only takes a few minutes to settle. If the dipstick is that hard to read, grab some $.99 wet'n'wild nail polish and paint over the dipstick to make it easier to read.

I just dumped, then refilled with PP 0w20 until it hit the top of the hatch marks on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Yes I measure the amount put into my OPE. I review the owner's manual received with product. Most are 26oz.

I have to measure or the dumb things smoke (push mower) or run over in the belt area (snowblower) and cause slipping.

The mower takes 17.5 oz or 530 mL exactly. That is almost to the top of the hashmark. Dipstick says 570 mL but that puts it over the full mark and it smokes. Go figure.

The snowblower rakes 24 oz. or 710 mL.

Last edited:
On dipstick engines it's easier to add the required amount than to try and read the dipstick. If the engine requires 20 ounces, I add 20 ounces and forget it. These oils today are too translucent to read on a dipstick when the oil is new.

My old Briggs takes 20oz. I still have the 20oz bottle it came with. Use it every time with my favorite brew of oils. 13yrs old and still runs like new.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I just dumped, then refilled with PP 0w20 until it hit the top of the hatch marks on the dipstick.

I cant think of a worse oil to use in outdoor power equipment, especially in Florida. What is your issue with 30 weight oils?

I use a 20 ounce bottle of Briggs and Stratton oil (just the bottle.) I refill the bottle with 18 ounces of SAE30, which just slightly under-fills most Briggs and Stratton small engines. Then I let sit for 15 minutes or so and then recheck the dipstick after its had time to settle and add oil as necessary.

Most Honda engines : 12 ounces
Most Briggs pushmower engines: 20 ounces
Briggs pushmower engine with oil filter: 26 ounces
Most Briggs riding mower engines: 48 ounces

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I cant think of a worse oil to use in outdoor power equipment, especially in Florida. What is your issue with 30 weight oils?

My honda runs on a mix of 0W30 and Amsoil 5W20.

I don't think I'd use 0W-20 either, but in reality, I bet 75% of the consumer mowers in Florida are running on 3 year old 30 weight that's sheared to less than PP 0W-20 anyway...

You add oil to a mower? Mine doesn't seem to use any. And I can't remember the last time I changed it. It starts on the first pull every time.

My riding mower on the other hand, doesn't like it when I run the oil level within the operating range of the dipstick. It gets oil in the cylinder and smokes when I go downhill if it is that full. I run it from the Add mark to 1/4" below the add mark on the dipstick.

I dont have an issue with 30 weights. I was checking the oil one day and realized it hadn't been changed in years, and I had some PP laying around so I went for it. It a Toro with a Honda motor. I keep checking the level expecting it to be low, but its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back