Motorcraft vs Fleetguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 03 Ford 7.3 Power Stroke and I'm currently using Motorcraft FL-1995 oil filters. I have been reading about the Fleetguard LF3974 Stratapore oil filters and was wondering if the Fleetguard gives better protection and worth the extra money. I'm changing oil and filter every 5K miles. Not looking to extend oil change intervals, just the best protection for the engine.

I'm a Cummins guy so I really can't help with the Motorcraft diesel filter evaluation. I have used them in the past when Wally was selling the FL1A's for $2.77 and have the highest regard for them. I'm not even sure the diesel filters are made by the same vendor (Purolator).

Stratopores and WIX XE's (stratopore equivalent) for the Cummins run about $8 each from Scheid Diesel and Filter 1 respectively. I don't know how that compares to what you are paying now, but I don't think you can buy a better filter for the money that certainly exceeds any warranty requirtements.

I bought several Motorcraft at Wally World last year and think they were $10.00 each. Just bought a couple Fleetguard at $24.00 each. They are more than twice the cost of Motorcraft. I was just wondering if they were worth the extra money? Do they provide better filteration than the Motorcraft?

IHMO Fleetguard Stratopore is just about the best filter out there for a diesel. If you can get them at Scheid Diesel for the same price as the Motorcrafts, I personally think you're better off (I bet the MC's are about $12 now). It should up the overhaul duration significantly beyond the estimated 250K. That said, I certainly don't think you're doing your engine a disservice by running either a Motorcraft or standard WIX.

Good Luck

At 5,000 mile intervals the motorcraft would be the choice . The stratopore is designed for extended oil change intervals.

When he paid $10 for the Morotcraft and $24 for the Stratopore, I would agree with you. If he can get the better filter for the same price and removes it before the service life is up due to warranty considerations, why not??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back