Synpower 5w30 SM. 8676 miles. 82576 vehicle miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my 2003 Sable with the 3.0 Duratec. There were no top ups and oil was changed.

8676 miles / 15 months. 2500 of those miles were interstate trips. The rest was mixed use.

What oci in miles and time would you recommend in future (bearing in mind I am now using PP 5w20 SN)?

Code:

Iron 9

Chromium
Lead 1

Copper 6

Tin
Aluminium 3

Nickel
Silver
Titanium
Vanadium

Silicon 7

Sodium 255

Potassium

Magnesium 6

Calcium 1789

Barium
Phosphorus 524

Zinc 617

Molybdenum 6

Boron

Water %
Coolant No

Viscosity (cST 100C) 9.8

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 2.2

Based upon this UOA, PP might not be an upgrade.
This engine seemed to do very well on Synpower.

The only thing that has me worried is the sodium and whether it is coolant related.

I use G-05 which I believe is potassium free. Twice during this oci, at very close intervals, I had to top up the coolant (only a little bit), which I've never had to do before. It was a while back and I didn't have to do it again since. The coolant otherwise has been well maintained and is in good condition.

However, the vehicle has spent some time along the coast so perhaps that's the reason?

looks great for ~8700 miles.

I didn't figure that SynPower was able to handle that long of an interval, from the other UOA I have seen SynPower seemed to hold up to 7500 only if my memory serves me correctly.

But then again, different engine & driving style obviously matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Impressive UOA for over 8k miles. Any makeup oil added during the run? Thanks for posting.

No makeup oil and very little consumption. Manufacturer instructs not to add unless dipstick is at minimum, and in any case, I was planning on this UOA and wanted a Fully Used OA.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Impressive UOA for over 8k miles. Any makeup oil added during the run? Thanks for posting.

No makeup oil and very little consumption. Manufacturer instructs not to add unless dipstick is at minimum, and in any case, I was planning on this UOA and wanted a Fully Used OA.

Even more impressive, thanks. Valvoline stock keeps rising on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back