Storing cans of freon R134a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay after some detailed Googling I didn't quite get my question answered. I have a "few" cans of freon that are on a shelf in my garage and have been there for quite some time. I am thinking about moving them to the shed which is unheated and usually sustains higher temps in the summer than the garage. I know freon in a car A/C system is subjected to temp extremes; but would it be fine to store sealed, unopened cans of freon in a shed that would experience temps from -20°F to 100°F?

The Freon won't care one bit about the temperatures. My only concern would be the moisture's effects on the cans over, say 10+ years. It may start to rust.

According to the MSDS that I could find online the storage temp should be between -20F and 120F:

http://econtent.autozone.com:24999/znetcs/msds/en/US/370967

Does it not have a label that tells you the safe storage temperature?

It does have a label, but my concerns were humidity (guess I should have been more clear). This shed does have a fan which is turned on by a temp switch / humidistat. Unpainted steel which is placed close to the gable vents will rust over time. I have trailer bearings sitting on a metal shelf in there which was placed on WD40 soaked carboard years ago with virtually no rust. If I put them on a shelf in there, I might do something similar.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
ive seen them explode in a car in the sun.but it would be well over 100 inside.
Yup a buddy of mine had one blow up in his truck. But this is Phoenix and it was probably literally 150 in the car.

You can bake cookies in your car here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back