Gov't wants to mandate communication between cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
You could use eye tracing to see if the driver is atleast looking at the road, but sunglasses must mess this up.

Eye tracking is one potential tool, but it's far from perfect. And sunglasses don't pose as much of a problem as you might think... certainly no more so than regular prescription glasses. That's just one part of the system, though.

And you bring up an excellent point about snow coverage. It raises the question of whether a person who is a marginal driver to begin with, but gets by thanks to electronic driver aids, is even capable of operating a vehicle in the snow.

Interesting topic & timing as I was thinking on this earlier. NHSTI, DOT and any other gubmint bureaucrazy filled with bureaucrats are extremely narrow minded, believing they can legislate 0 car deaths due to accidents /year. What they don't consider is the cost, system complexity, maintaince & repair and other broader considerations, complications and unintended consequences.

They've already filled the interior with air bags. I'm looking for them to mandate exterior airbags as well. If it worked for a Mars landing, then why not?

Further, the new cars I've driven, with their higher doors and wide C/D pillars are like looking out of a tank! So their fix is to impliment rear cameras? WTH? Idiots...

As if the price of new cars isn't scary enough, buying a 'good' used one is more & more of a long bet as the used-car market becomes filled with techno-trash: Dumped because they're too expensive to fix.

Here, you can't get a car inspected with a CEL on. In the future, are these same idiots going to mandate you can't get one if the rear camera doesn't work? If the HUD is out? If the vehicle communication module won't communicate?

This is rife with "We know better than the" and "thou shalt do as we say". They're clueless and frankly could care less about facts that conflict with their 'grand vision of the annointed'. Progress must continue regardless of facts, consequences, or costs. They won't tolerate intolerance on the part of consumers whom they believe are too stupid to know any better.

Not all of us are idiots though, nor like this mandating from Ivory-towers-on-high. I keep my cars for a long time, as my tag shows. I wonder if the sled could go another 25yrs? I wonder if I'd be forced to give it up, or the gubmint would 'buy it back' because it's too old, doesn't meet their current mpg requirement, etc?

Finally, I wonder if this dovetails with an increasing push by these appratchniks to solve traffic problems by forcing people into mass transportation? By making cars too expensive, gas too expensive, maintainence & repairs too expensive, etc. As a part of their 'war on traffic', 'war on roads', 'war on cars' propaganda?

With cars now able to drive themselves, how long do you think it'll be before people become superfluous? In other words, you no longer need to pay attention, be competent, nor look-up and take your fingers off your phone while driving? More degeneration....instead of 'driving while distracted' you can now have the burden of driving lifted from you so you no longer have to be distrated from checking your FB page.....

We currently have the digital divide, the technology divide, the education divide and the income divide, will there be an auto-owner divide? Perhaps it's already begun?

I've stradeled a fine line here re: politiks, however the OP did start the post with the word "Gov't" and they do control (mandate) was has to be in a car to be sold in the USA...period. [/rant]

It's hard not to side on the safety aspect, but this will turn out to be another nail in the coffin of our freedom. Like other posts have mentioned, cell phones are tracked, internet activity is tracked, we are photographed and video recorded through out the day while getting gas, groceries, possibly working, or walking the dog. The vehicles we drive will follow that progression too.

I always felt OnStar was the precursor to this idea.
What starts out as SAFETY, eventually turns to SURVIELLANCE (my opinion)

To some people, the hi-tech goodies in the car is all that matters. The car itself only houses the technology people want. Personally, I like it the other way around.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I think the government should mandate stricter requirements for licensed before our cars start talking to each other to avoid an accident, etc, etc.

If people would drive better, it would save lives far better then any electronic gizmo ever could. I feel it's far too easy for the average joe to get licensed to drive on our roadways.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
The $64 question of self-driving cars: How do you make sure that the driver is capable of taking back control of the car in an emergency situation that's beyond the capabilities of the vehicle?

This isn't just an academic question... it's what the guy over the cube wall from me is working on.

You could use eye tracing to see if the driver is atleast looking at the road, but sunglasses must mess this up.
In reality, probably just slowing down and stopping would probably solve 99% of the driver inattentiveness while the vehicle is confused problem. With all the cars communicating, a sudden stop isn't a huge safety issue like it is with people driving.
A couple good taps on the brake from the computer would wake up most people I'd think.
I do wonder how it will work in the rural snow belt? I assume a visually guided car won't be happy with 6" of snow blanketing the road? Also driving in snow successfully can mean turning off the TC and getting a bit aggressive with your inputs. How well a computer can do that, I don't know.

My guess: if they force you to put your hands somewhere that have sensors or they will raise an alarm after a few seconds off, they would know you are not dozing off too far away.

But seriously, communication between cars are IMO like what those "laser guided cruise control" we see. If people don't want a cop to use them for ticketing, they can 1) design it so that the range is only good for a few tens or hundreds of feet and 2) vote out politicians that do not fight against allowing these in car comm data for ticketing.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Electronic tolls in my area easily snap a pic of the car, the driver, and the plate. How long before a simple timing algorithm tells them how fast you went from that last toll booth?

I am pretty sure that is already happening.

Of course.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really care if my movement info is being tracked anonymously.

The second it becomes possible for anyone else to track my movements, that's when there'll be a problem.

Saw this in my inbox this morning:
Ward's Auto

Quote:
The concept of an autopilot is not new, particularly in aerospace. But Owens notes even the airline industry has never crossed that threshold by placing hundreds of lives solely in the digital hands of a computer.

“You still need a pilot in even the most sophisticated triple-fault redundant systems on airplanes and usually two pilots on the big planes,” he says. “It’s just a lot of hurdles to get over.”

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Of course.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really care if my movement info is being tracked anonymously.

The second it becomes possible for anyone else to track my movements, that's when there'll be a problem.

Far be it from me to doubt our great United States Government, but based on the conduct of most any Federal agency, I wouldn't trust that any of them can-or would-keep such information "anonymous."

Originally Posted By: Tzu
It's hard not to side on the safety aspect, but this will turn out to be another nail in the coffin of our freedom. Like other posts have mentioned, cell phones are tracked, internet activity is tracked, we are photographed and video recorded through out the day while getting gas, groceries, possibly working, or walking the dog. The vehicles we drive will follow that progression too.

I always felt OnStar was the precursor to this idea.
What starts out as SAFETY, eventually turns to SURVIELLANCE (my opinion)

To some people, the hi-tech goodies in the car is all that matters. The car itself only houses the technology people want. Personally, I like it the other way around.

If you are worried about your freedom you should worry about the people you elect, not the technology in your car. Self driving cars will come eventually corrupt politicians or not. So direct your efforts where it will actually make a difference. Complaining about technology taking away your freedom is just playing right into the hands of the people you are against.

If I can plug in a destination to my car, then take a nap, or heck make it a red-eye and overnight it, then arrive well rested to my vacation destination 6-8 hours away - that would be progress.

If you're not doing anything interesting, the people watching don't care.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Of course.

Far be it from me to doubt our great United States Government, but based on the conduct of most any Federal agency, I wouldn't trust that any of them can-or would-keep such information "anonymous."

"Could" is easy. Read the tag, replace the identifying info with random identifiers, use those until the analysis is complete, store the result, and then purge the data. Keep everything encrypted until the final step and not available to any user.

However.... point taken.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
The technology uses a radio signal that continually transmits a vehicle's position, heading, speed and other information.

Yep, Communicating right the the cops so they can issue speeding tickets by mail to everyone 3 mph over.

IMHO If it has anything to do with organized crime the government it is only about filling the coffers somewhere nothing more or less.

I agree, which is why it's so puzzling to me that cops don't use more speed traps now. Here in IL, the vast majority of drivers speed, and not by a little, usually 15-20 MPH over the limit. Cops could just sit and hand out tickets and collect revenues, but you NEVER see anyone pulled over here...makes no sense to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back