favorite OTC Carwash ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for your thoughts on a good OTC car wash available from WM , etc. ?
Also , how do you find the car washes with wax included ? Any concerns of wash + wax on the windshield (i.e. wiper blade chatter ) ?

I second the Meguiars Gold class. It is one of the better car wash soaps without wax that isn't the cheapest of the cheap. With the car wash soap market, the cheapest stuff is the stuff without wax and tends to be far too watered down. Everything else contains wax which is great for the average joe.

i dont own anything that is special enough to get specific soaps or get hand washed. but my past neighbor use to use 1 oz of blue original dawn soap to 5 gallons of water. hed hand wash his corvette with it and it always came out nice. i was reading on a boat form you should never do that to paint or gel coat

I prefer to wash a car at home - I find auto car washes dry out my paint really bad ...not a hint of paint conditioner left like you would get with at least Meguiars Crystal , Gold or better ...Less expensive than a new paint job .

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
i dont own anything that is special enough to get specific soaps or get hand washed. but my past neighbor use to use 1 oz of blue original dawn soap to 5 gallons of water. hed hand wash his corvette with it and it always came out nice. i was reading on a boat form you should never do that to paint or gel coat

fits right into the stereotype of a corvette owner

Originally Posted By: raytseng

You are only supposed to use the Dawn wash to strip everything off and start over.

Meguiars Gold Class
thumbsup2.gif

If you can find it, Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate (CWC) is a step above Meg's Gold Class. Check Napa, CARQUEST, Local autoparts house, etc. if they carry Duragloss products. If not, The Gold Class is very good.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Meguiars Gold class when I used OTC stuff. I buy my soaps now online in gallons from autogeek etc.

That stuff is decent, but has too many gloss enhancers for cars that are coated.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: raytseng

You are only supposed to use the Dawn wash to strip everything off and start over.

I would use that sparingly. Dawn in a low dose (as mentioned 1 oz. for 5 gal.) is excellent for a stripdown before a complete detail but I wouldn't recommend it for regular use. You wouldn't use Meguiars Gold Class to wash your dishes. Why use Dawn to wash your car
smile.gif

Duragloss is by far the best car wash I have ever used. But to take that one step further. Take 3 gallons of soft water, add 1.5 ounces of Duragloss 901 and then add 1.5 ounce of Turtle wax rinselsess wash with it. Its the best wash water combination I have ever used.

Duragloss 901. Cleans very well, leaves a light shine to the paint, rinses off easy and smells like cherry kool aid. The overall best! Order it at Napa or Car Quest.

Zymol is great too! Cleans well without being harsh, easy on the skin and wax, smells like pina colada. You can get it at Wal-Mart if you don't want to bother ordering anything.

Both these choices work well in a foam cannon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back