Shell Rotella ELC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey is anyone familiar with the chemistry of this coolant? Silicate & Nitrate based?

2357630.jpg

Ah thank you and no kidding eh?

Silicate-free with "patented inhibitors" to "reduce water pump failures, hard water scale deposits, silicate “green goo” and improve heat transfer. Tests with ROTELLA ELC show that heat transfer is about 8% better with RELC than with conventional heavy duty, silicate-containing coolants."

Very nice! I saw it at Wal Mart. On the bottle it said it was compatible with all other chemistries too. I think this may be my new coolant.

So I grabbed a jug of this stuff from WalMart....stuff isn't cheap@ $26bucks but the jug looks nothing like the ones online.

In fact it looks exactly like a Recochem bottle. Flip it over and sure enough it's from Recochem!

Should I return it??? Recochem makes virtually everyones house brand coolants and the value brands for Canadian retailers. They probably have a contract with Shell to blend their ELC, but I don't know if it was worth 26 bucks now....

ok another update:

I can't seem to keep on top of Shell's marketing brands.

Apparently the coolant in question is Rotella Ultra ELC. The non ultra pictured above is is Red in colour, the Ultra [censored] yellow. It was $27.97 not $26 and this particular bottle is blended by Recochem under license.

Originally Posted By: howell_jd on thedieselsop.com

The fundamental difference between Rotella ELC and Rotella Ultra ELC is this:

Rotella ELC uses a carboxylate based corrosion inhibitor
Rotella Ultra ELC uses a molybdate based corrosion inhibitor

Carboxylates have an oxidation state of 3 while molybdates have an oxidation state of 6. This is significant in comparison to G-05 coolants (Premium Gold) which use nitrites that have an oxidation state of 2. Water has an oxidation state of 1. The higher the oxidation state, the better your corrosion protection. Molybdenum is also a great additive for protection against cavitation; a bane of high compression engines in their cylinders. Molybdenum is the element seen in oil additives like Hot Shot's Secret and Rev-X to address stiction as well.

Also, it's Nitrite, Amine, Phosphate, Borate, Silicate-free.

I'm going to keep it and use it.

The Ultra ELC is as good as it gets. I use it to prevent the buildup of crud in the International/Powerstroke oil coolers. It can be had for $20-$22 a bottle in case quantities (6).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back