Opinion on a quarter century old BMW 850i (E31)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at a couple 850s a couple years ago. They are still beautiful cars, but I couldn't find any that didn't have significantly worn interiors. Not the seats, but loose trim pieces, dirty and stained pillars, headliners, etc.

I gave up the dream after looking at a number of them and decided that unless it was sitting in the garage for 20 years the condition would not be great.

BMW also sold an 840. IMO, the 635s and even the 735s were handsomer. The V12 is 2 325 engines put together. Existing parts were used wherever possible. That said, a 750 il would be a worthwhile project for an enthusiast. I have way too much on my plate, but maintaining it is within my capacity. Just twice as expensive. 18 yrs of fixing 528es has put me in the groove of BMWs built in the 80s and early 90s .

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Take that as heresy as you wish, I get it that they are different "classes" of car, but I couldn't care less about folks who have their thumb far enough up their rear trying to extoll class and culture to make a stink about it..

Bravo. When all the hooplah dies down it's just a car. A very expensive and complex one to boot. But just a car, nonetheless...

First, I don't know diddly about old BMW's - never owned one, never wanted to own one, unlikely that I will ever own one, because BMW's don't interest me, and probably never will.

But I've owned old Jaguars of that era, including a twelve cylinder, which I still own.

Second, the electronics on cars is simple stuff. It's just feedback loops. Feedback loops are simpleton easy, and as long as you are willing to learn the systems and operating parameters of the loops, they are easy to diagnose and repair.

Third, it's my experience on the old Jaguars that the electronics almost never go bad. It's literally the last thing I look for. What gets glitchy is the connectors on the wiring harnesses, and the grounds. They need to be broken periodically and cleaned. In the rare instance that doesn't clear a bug, a sensor might be suspect, and if that fails, then the module might be suspect - usually a broken or bad solder joint.

Fourth, my V12 is two sixes joined at the crank. They are no more complex than any other engine. Where they get difficult is access in small engine bays. Sometimes that can be tough, depending on the job.

Fifth, a car that old - the internet knows all the known problems and the fixes.

Old BMW's - not my cup of tea, but it wouldn't scare me a bit. If you want it, go for it. Not a big deal.

edit: sisxth, if you're going to bust knuckles, might as well do it on something like an old BMW with a V12 - who wants to fool with a Honyota? Not me, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back