OCI for low mileage D.I. engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new GMC Terrain with the 2.4 DI engine (my first DI engine).
It seems I'll probably be driving around 10000 to 12000 km (7000 miles avg) a year.
I will have four free oil changes in the first two years so the oil will changed out at around 6000 km (3700 miles). My question is what should I do after the two year period with this DI engine? I'm concerned about fuel dilution so even though one year OCI's seems logical, should I just keep up with 5-6000 km OCI's? What do you all think?

I'd go 18 months or about 8,000 km while making sure you heated the oil up to full operating temp periodically, which it sounds like you do anyways...

Have you googled GMC Terrain timing chain? Isn't this the model that they shortened the OCI due to timing chain problems related to fuel dilution?
I would stick with the OLM or shorter.

using the watery x-20 oils is only good for a little MPG. i feel a x-30 oil will hold up + keep your engine running well for more miles. 2013 malibu 2.5 DI engine using 2 qts with a dexos semi synthetic 5-20,changed to a group IV 5-30 real synthetic + consumption has STOPPED!! oil consumption in a DI engine likely contribute to the carbon issues in these engines!!

This vehicle and engine is one of those that marks a trend toward new vehicles that should absolutely be sold before the warranty expires.

A co-worker with a 2012 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 DI engine has had what the dealer told him was the balance chain changed 3 times with a wait for parts each time and now and the engine after about 10K miles consumes a quart of oil every 1K miles that the dealer claims is within normal consumption even for a new vehicle. It is starting to smoke upon initial start up and slowing down to a stop and all this with under 30K miles driven in Southern California on an easy commute to work and back with service at the dealer. Now, this vehicle is back at the dealer because it would not pass California smog because of visible smoke and will remain their until it passes. It's a fair bet that this vehicle will be for sale before the warranty expires.

My opinion is that it is fuel dilution coupled with soot in the oil that gets to the timing chains. As such I have reduced the OCIs in my Ecoboost truck to 4k miles and that includes a new filter. Oil and filters are way easier to change than timing chains......Just my 0.02

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
This vehicle and engine is one of those that marks a trend toward new vehicles that should absolutely be sold before the warranty expires.

A co-worker with a 2012 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 DI engine has had what the dealer told him was the balance chain changed 3 times with a wait for parts each time and now and the engine after about 10K miles consumes a quart of oil every 1K miles that the dealer claims is within normal consumption even for a new vehicle. It is starting to smoke upon initial start up and slowing down to a stop and all this with under 30K miles driven in Southern California on an easy commute to work and back with service at the dealer. Now, this vehicle is back at the dealer because it would not pass California smog because of visible smoke and will remain their until it passes. It's a fair bet that this vehicle will be for sale before the warranty expires.

Sounds like your friend could apply lemon law here.

2KBMW, I have the same engine in my 49K mile 2011 Buick Regal and have been doing 4200-4500 mile OCIs with the dealer-supplied AC Delco dexos1 5W-30. See my UOA here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3462451/2011_Buick_Regal_2.4_NA,_4200_#Post3462451

It's true I drive more miles a year than you do, about 9500. It's also true that I've had this car only 7.5 months. But it's doing well on the relatively short intervals; I'm certainly not having any troubles such as OneEyeJack mentions.

Change it 2 times a year and step up to Mobil1 0W40, which is what I put back in it. These motors chew up the oil shearing it down to 5W20'ish. Today, 4hrs. ago I changed oil in my wife's Equinox. 3mos-20days time wise, 1400 miles in that time. The oil was totally black, smelled ok as far as fuel. I sent sample off to Blackstone, we'll see. It had PP 5W30 w/5oz Mos2 in it. And I'm not too sure I won't change it 3 times a year just because of how its driven, very, very short trips. $30 a oil change including Fram XG9018 oil filter and 20 mins of my time is nothing to me maintenance wise, but will make that engine last a heck of lot longer. Check this post out here "2013 Chevy Equinox, 2.4L, 7,611mi, Mobil-1 0w40" it has a Blackstone report.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Change it 2 times a year and step up to Mobil1 0W40, which is what I put back in it. These motors chew up the oil shearing it down to 5W20'ish. Today, 4hrs. ago I changed oil in my wife's Equinox. 3mos-20days time wise, 1400 miles in that time. The oil was totally black, smelled ok as far as fuel. I sent sample off to Blackstone, we'll see. It had PP 5W30 w/5oz Mos2 in it. And I'm not too sure I won't change it 3 times a year just because of how its driven, very, very short trips. $30 a oil change including Fram XG9018 oil filter and 20 mins of my time is nothing to me maintenance wise, but will make that engine last a heck of lot longer. Check this post out here "2013 Chevy Equinox, 2.4L, 7,611mi, Mobil-1 0w40" it has a Blackstone report.

First, thanks everyone for your opinions. I'll get the next four free oil changes out of the way in the next two years then I'll decide.

Oldhp. I was thinking that once the warranty is up I may just use 0w40 and then go by the OLM or 1 year. Those same Ecotec engines in Europe use A3 rated 30/40 weight oil anyways.

MoS2 made it black, not the engine. A lot of newer DI engines seem to be shearing oil probably due to how tight the timing chains are.

HK, My Silverado had the oil/oil filter changed at 5000 miles at the Chevy dealer. I took it home and added 5oz Mos2 to the engine oil. Now at 6700 miles the oil is still almost clear on the dipstick. Not arguing here but I think the black oil in Wife's 'Nox was from too many cold starts and not enough highway miles. Waiting on Blackstone.

CRAIG: It looks like your engine is doing okay with all the short trips. Wear metals are quite low, though
that could also be related to the short oil change interval too, as universal averages are based on over
6,200 miles on the oil for this type of engine. If your oil run is much shorter than average, it's just natural
that metals are going to be average or better. We're guessing the sodium is just oil additive from a previous
oil, not coolant. If so, it'll wash out next time if you stick with this oil. The slight fuel contamination and low
viscosity are harmless. The TBN was fine at 5.2.
Miles on oil 1400
Miles on unit 17,550
Sample date 08/25/14
Make Up Oil Added 0qts

Aluminum 4 Universal Averages 4
Chromium 1 1
Iron 8 18
Copper 2 2
Lead 0 0
Tin 2 1
Molybdenum 137 (5oz. Mos2) 62
Nickel 0 0
Manganese 0 2
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 0 2
Boron 4 52
Silicon 4 8
Sodium 42 48
Calcium 2084 1919
Magnesium 18 131
Phosphorus 636 657
Zinc 725 767
Barium 0 0

SUS Viscosity@210F 52.6 Values Should Be 55-63
cSt Viscosity@100C 8.06 8.8-11.3
Flashpoint in °F 355 >365
Fuel% .05 Antifreeze ? 0.0
Water 0.0 Insolubles % 0.3 TBN 5.2 >1.0

Looks good to me. Went back with Mobil1 0W40. I'll run it out 3/4 months and test it again.
What do you all think???

Last edited:

Looks good to me. Went back with Mobil1 0W40. I'll run it out 3/4 months and test it again.
What do you all think???

I would try a different oil. PPPP or PUP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back