dont use socks as an oil cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the part where this guy - who remember is driving a BMW - wants a cheap solution because he doesn't have much money to spend on a repair.

My vision of some young BMW owners = people who live in apartments with no furniture, eating top ramen and working like mad to pay the minimum amount due on their credit cards

Hey, everyone does dumb s&^t once in a while.
pat.gif

My lastest "sock" purchase had warning labels:
"Do not use socks as an oil fill cap".
"May cause engine damage if sock comes in contact with camshaft".
And, not related with the thread, "Sock are not to be used as air filters".

The fool is lucky that an underhood fire didn't start.

And, who here waits until the "idiot" light reminds you to top off the oil?

Gotta go, the fan is making noise. Think I'll stick my fingers in there to quiet it down some.

quote: "Is there any reason the oil cap can't be tethered to the engine, like the gas cap is tethered to the car?"
It could be, but the extra weight of the cable would force another review of cafe standards, and we would be migrating to 5w10 oils....

WOW, that's awesome. One of the dumbest things I ever heard. Go to show you money can't buy brains.

On the gas cap attached to the car thing. That's the first thing I take off a new car. I hate those things, they get tangled up or get in the way, besides the last thing I need is my gas cap scrathing my paint as it hangs there. It doesn't take much to remember to put your gas cap back on.

Is there any reason the oil cap can't be tethered to the engine, like the gas cap is tethered to the car?

I left the oil cap off my F-150 once after an oil change, so I BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE; the only socks available were the ones on my feet. Two weeks later, I was driving down the road, five miles from my house and THERE it WAS. I was going to pick it up right then, but instead grabbed it on the return trip. If no one picked it up in two weeks, 20 more minutes was a safe gamble.

That's why you don't buy a high dollar car for a young person.

They are going to make goofy mistakes like this as we all did with our first cars. However, when you damage the engine of a 15 year old civic by inexperience or bad judgement, it doesn't cost as much to fix....and a "Sandwich artist" can afford to do so on the Subway salary.

LOL!
I've been on that board and there are a lot of spoiled kids there.Here a guy with an M3 uses a sock as a cap.Priceless!

I also read one where a guy driving another late model M3 wiped out because he driving on bald tires,he couldn't afford new ones!

The BMW crowd is pretty elitist and feel that their particluar car is superior to all makes lol,especially in the 3 series forums.

BTW
I just got rid of my 325i because the seat were utter and total garbage.Pure dreck!No lumbar,whatta joke.No kidding,these were the absolute worst car seats I have ever had the misfortune to own.

i work at a bmw dealer. I always see this odd M3 teal green with an outrageous body kit. the sideflare wheel wells stick out a foot, but still has the stock tires and wheels. looks like a circus car. the stock tires are bald to the cords, and i always think this younger guy must not be able to afford new tires because hes getting all these mods.

quote:

On the gas cap attached to the car thing. That's the first thing I take off a new car. I hate those things, they get tangled up or get in the way, besides the last thing I need is my gas cap scrathing my paint as it hangs there. It doesn't take much to remember to put your gas cap back on.

My wife lost her gas cap once. As it turned out, I found an exact match that someone left on top of the gas pump. The tether had been cut off the cap. That gave me a good laugh.

My ex-wife left several gas caps on top of the gas pumps during our fifteen year marriage. I will admit to leaving the one for my 89 Accord behind once, though, I realized it before I was a block away from the gas station. So, 23 years without having to replace the gas cap was a good run. The Mazda I have now has a tether, but there's a little hook on the back of the fuel door to keep the cap from laying against the paint. I prefer the bracket on the inside of the fuel door that allows you to hang the cap.

On a tangent; do you remember those "tiger in the tank" tails that Exxon used to provide? My friends and I joked that they were "fuses" to light up the car.

Originally Posted By: kanling
I like the part where this guy - who remember is driving a BMW - wants a cheap solution because he doesn't have much money to spend on a repair.

There are a lot of younger (people my age) people who have that mentality. They want all the status they can give themselves.

The apple phone, BMW, apple computer, designer clothes. Up in debt to their ears, can't afford to maintain the car, can barely pay the phone bill , etc.

But , hey , they have a BMW, apple phone and apple computer and designer clothes!

Holy thread resurrection!

I did something similar to this once - I was changing the starter on my lawn tractor, and I had to remove the dipstick tube to do it. To prevent dirt and junk from getting into the engine, I plugged the hole with a paper towel. I got the new starter in, and cranked the engine over (with the spark plug disconnected) to test it out. When I was cranking it, some moving parts inside the engine grabbed the paper towel and sucked it in.
frown.gif
I had to remove the whole engine and pick out bits of torn, soggy paper towel in all the nooks and crannies of the engine, and put it all back together.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back