ATF For 1995 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0L I6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Originally Posted By: jeep58
Make sure you know what transmission if it if 42re, you better use chrysler atf 4 or you will have problems, again identfy the transmission.

4.0L XJ Cherokee's never came with a 42RE, so no worries.

Thankfully. The only Chrysler automatics were a 3 speed behind the V6 and 2.5L

Further research indicates Chrysler TSB #21-014-07 that the AW-4 transmission in the 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L I-6 was back spec'd to use ATF +4 which has a higher heat rating than Dexron ATF . Apparently ATF+4 helps AW-4 clutch material wear a bit longer than Dexron. * It looks like my choices are : ATF+4 , Dexron VI Dexron III or Dex / Merc ATF (confusing) ! **Do you go with what the dipstick states to use OR did Jeep make a mistake and now you don't want to use what's noted on the ATF dipstick ?

What size is the ATF drain lug on the bottom of the AW-4 automatic transmission (1995 Cherokee XJ ) ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Anyone ?
It is true they back spec'd the aw4 to atf+4... but.... notice the time they did it? After every aw4 produced for jeep was out of warranty. When i had my 99 xj most of the people who ran atf+4 in reported more slippage, especially in higher mileage aw4's (is this because of an increase in friction modifiers in atf+4?). I think a safer choice if you are after a longer lived atf would be dexron VI. It has a similiar friction makeup as dexron III (which the aw4 was built on).

After MUCH study on the AW-4 best results appear to be with Dex/Merc (maxlife) because the AW-4 doesn't play nice with newer , more slippery ATF's like ATF+4 or Dexron VI.

** Can anyone confirm 10mm is the ATF drain plug head size for a '95 Cherokee 4.0L AW-4 transmission ?? I can't find confirmation ANYWHERE ...Jeeze !!

** Can anyone confirm 10mm is the ATF drain plug head size for a '95 Cherokee 4.0L AW-4 transmission ?? I can't find confirmation ANYWHERE ...Jeeze !!

I can't remember the size, but the plug is easily accessible. Much quicker to crawl under there and check, than spend time researching online.

If it were me, I would use whatever fluid that meets the originally specified fluid. In this case Dex III or better. A fluid with different friction characteristics doesn't seem like a great idea, regardless of the TSB that was issued after Chryslers warranty was over on any of these units.

As to the bolt, crawl under there and figure it out. There are things worth researching, and things that grabbing a few sockets or wrenches is a whole lot easier. I'm seldom off a mm or two anymore when guessing a size. And its not like you need to jack up a Cherokee to find this one out... I didn't on my 88 when I had it anyways...

I have limited sockets - all currently are metric for Hyundai .
Was advised the OIL drain plug was 5/8th's so hence my question thinking perhaps the ATF drain plug is not metric either .

thinking perhaps the ATF drain plug is not metric either .

I owned a '98 Cherokee, and that vehicle was the worst I've ever seen for mixing standard and metric fasteners. I always had both sets of tools handy when I was working on it.

This transmission tolerates newer ATFs.

Use any dexmerc ATF. Use a full synthetic if in your budget.
MerconV and ATF+4 are affordable upgrades.

The transmission needs a mild valve body mod, like the Transgo SK-340, to assist with its sloppy smooth indecisive shifts.

If drainplug is 5/8, and all you have are metric, try 15mm-16mm.

ATF+4 is excellent stuff; gets up to OD operating temp fast, and runs cool when towing.
I usually use Amsoil fluids, but I stick to ATF+4 in the tranny & seal separated transfer cases, only because them Chrysler clutch packs & OD units are finicky things.

atf+4 is used in many transfer cases from mopar.
Se if the tc is supposed to take atf+3 or dex, if so
use atf+4 in tc also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back