FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Really? Did you ever see UOA of 0W30 Made in USA?

If I recall correctly, though, that product wasn't an A3/B3 A3/B4 type lube, but an ILSAC rated one.

I think it was Euro spec since I was using GC for years, and was always careful not to buy Made in USA. Eventually they phased out that oil.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
It's exactly the same formulation just made in a different place.

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4. This same brand name exists in the USA as your beloved GC/BC/XC

X being anywhere else it may be made.

Really? Did you ever see UOA of 0W30 Made in USA?

Why would I need a UOA?

The US 0W-30 is a different oil. As mentioned it's a 2.9hths GF-5 shape

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
The US 0W-30 is a different oil. As mentioned it's a 2.9hths GF-5 shape

Are you sure?

Back when the US 0w-30 was available, there was just one spec sheet for it that did not differentiate between US and Germany place of production.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I tried to find a picture, but wasn't very successful.

Heck, I think I only ever saw it once or twice. The real GC has traditionally been very easy to locate here, from parts stores to the big boxes.

All the 0w-30 made in the USA was ILSAC stuff,

I tried to find a picture, but wasn't very successful.

I believe this is it
castrol_syntec_not_german.jpg

Right, but what we really wanted was the pic of the back label to see whether it listed the same specs as the German version.

Look at the ILSAC logo up front. It won't have much European beyond A1/B1 A5/B5.

Right, but what we really wanted was the pic of the back label to see whether it listed the same specs as the German version.

Look at the ILSAC logo up front. It won't have much European beyond A1/B1 A5/B5.

Back then, ILSAC GF-3 was still in effect. Its fuel economy requirements were not that demanding, so maybe it could still meet ACEA A3 at the time? But you're probably right...

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
I doubt it meet A3 since the viscosity at 100C was around 10.1 or so.

So were there two different 0w-30 spec sheets published by Castrol at the time, one for GC and one for non-GC?

I don't think so. When the German version first showed up the spec sheet still showed the US version specs, but eventually the spec sheet was changed to reflect the German specs.

Back then, ILSAC GF-3 was still in effect. Its fuel economy requirements were not that demanding, so maybe it could still meet ACEA A3 at the time? But you're probably right...

I suppose anything is possible. As for there being two sheets, one for ILSAC 0w-30 and one for GC, there perhaps were, or they were filled with errors or minimums or maximums. Take a look at Shell. Formula Shell and Formula Shell Synthetic have the exact same spec sheet, except with the word "synthetic" added in. With Castrol (or most any other company), it wouldn't surprise me in the least to have had something totally bizarre on their sheet, perhaps having it the same as GC.

I might have missed a few informative post; but would there be anyone nice enough to tell me what the general consensus is on GC 0w-40? I took some time to look at its TDS/PDS. It has a pour point similar to the 0w30 GC at -53, Liqui Moly's Vollsynthese 0w40 at -50 +/- 3 degrees and comparable to Mobil 1 0w40's at -47 +/- 3 degrees. However its viscosity index isn't as high as both Mobil/Liqui moly 0w40s; 167 versus Mobil/Liquimoly being around the 180s!

Cost would be my primary concern. Mobil 1 0w-40 might be your best bet in that regard. Up here, where we don't get M1 0w-40 in five quart jugs, the Castrol would be the cheaper option.

Originally Posted By: MichaelDCRogers
I might have missed a few informative post; but would there be anyone nice enough to tell me what the general consensus is on GC 0w-40? I took some time to look at its TDS/PDS. It has a pour point similar to the 0w30 GC at -53, Liqui Moly's Vollsynthese 0w40 at -50 +/- 3 degrees and comparable to Mobil 1 0w40's at -47 +/- 3 degrees. However its viscosity index isn't as high as both Mobil/Liqui moly 0w40s; 167 versus Mobil/Liquimoly being around the 180s!

In my opinion, GC was always better then M1.
Though, since they shift production to Belgium not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back