How do you dust your car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Let's say you wash your car and the next day it has a layer of dust across it; what do you do?

What happens when you drive the vehicle at a highway speed?

it depends.
Do you have a good wax/sealant/lsp that makes your car slick and hard for the dust to stick to the surface, and easy to clean?

Like they have in the infomercials, if you throw your (dry) towel across the hood does it just glide off frictionless or does it stick?
If it glides then a microfiber or duster.

Otherwise, if you have a non-slick surface; i.e. like if you use dawn as your car wash soap, and it's "squeaky clean" or you just never wax; then you should use detail spray to avoid scratching.

Last edited:
Not worry about it and just wash it every couple of weeks.
Most of the dust will blow off as you drive.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What happens when you drive the vehicle at a highway speed?

The dust stays stuck to the paint via a static charge I'm assuming, because a highway drive won't budge the particles. I keep the car in the garage, but the wooden shingles from the roof drop dust all over the car during the night.

I have a California Car Duster & those work awesomely - I have also used our leaf blower, that blows the dust right off. The leaf blower also works great on the interior instead of a vacuum.

I rinse it down well then hand dry it.

A quick wipe down of spray wax and its back to new.. Or at least as new as a 20 dyear old car can be
smile.gif

I use clean/dry compressed air.

I think a leaf blower is too unwieldy/awkward.

I use a blow gun with about 2.5 feet of soft/flexible plastic small diameter hose pushed well over the end of the blow gun's metal tube.
I hold the blow gun in one hand, whilst holding the end of the plastic hose in the other to dust off with a sweeping motion.
This setup it also unsurpassed for blow drying and blowing water out from under rubbers/mouldings and into/around crevices and badges after washing the car.

It's sort of a roving hose setup for compressed air, which will reach everywhere and it's safe for use, because the end of the hose won't damage paint in the event of a potential accidental touch/strike on the paint.
Handy if your paint is polished to perfection.

As far as dust attraction is concerned, outside of environmental considerations/circumstances at your locality.

It can also depend upon what wax one is using.
A Carnuba wax can be a little bit static/sticky and it can attract dust depending upon the brand and type, where as a synthetic wax/sealant can be more resistant to dust attraction so it can be less of a problem. Again depending upon brand and type.

Because I prefer to use a Carnuba wax, and sometimes dust will remain after the blow down.
I have also been known to give the vehicle a very light "sponge bath" with a very soft/plush microfiber wash mitt( The AquaTouch Ultra Microfiber wash Mitt is the absolute best I've found).
The sponge bath doesn't use any water sprayed out of the hose, as using the hose would basically be going through the same rigmarole as a complete wash/dry process again.
I simply use a clean wash water mixture in the bucket with fairly hot water to wet the mitt, then I squeeze the mitt out until it's only damp.
I then lightly drag the mitt over the paint, in order to just pick up any remaining dust which may be left on the surface.
If the mitt is well squeezed out, the moisture that's left after the mitt has passed over the paint will flash off very quickly, and leave no water marks on the paint if the car wash is of good quality.
I find a light sponge bath to be quicker than using a quick detailer spray and potentially inducing micro-marring, by to buff the quick detailer spray off the paint.

15 minutes later with the light sponge bath, and your on your way with a first class job.

Last edited:
It will happen in a day or two anyhow. I just drive it and don't pay any attention to the dust. Hopefully it will blow off with some speed/wind.

I have never, ever dusted a car. I guess I do not really care that much about a little dust.

Now oil. I will change that regularly.

Have a good dusting session I will drink a beer and think about you working off the dust.

I use a California car duster. I like the backpack leaf blower as a way to dry the card instead of a microfiber towel. I have used one for years with great success. It seems like overkill to use as a dust removal tool. A microfiber and some quick detail spray will work also.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Let's say you wash your car and the next day it has a layer of dust across it; what do you do?

It's Montana. I drive it.

I have a California duster, and if I know full well what the dirt is, eg pollen, I may dust it. Usually I leave it alone though.

Dusting your car is probably the easiest way to inflict marring or swirls. Don't do it .

Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Body Shine is a great detail spray. Helps keep the dust down and is pretty darn affordable. Has an anti static property I have seen work on my black motorcycle. Only delays the inevitable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back