Ok to use a 14477 instead of a 14476??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let me preface this by saying that I have read a few posts that people have said yeah, no prob at all and others that say ok to use unless your engine hoses, dealer will not honor warranty.

Let me run this by you guys to see if this makes any sense at all or if I'm way off base.

Bought the car new in June 05(Toyota Matrix XR 1.8L 1zz engine) At about 2800 miles I brought it to a Mobil One joint up the street from my house for the first oil change(mind you all this was pre-BITOG for me)They changed out the factory fill and put in 5W30 Mobil One and a standard white Mobil filter part #4477. Now the standard for the 1zz is 14476 right? So in other words the larger filter for the 2zz was put on correct?

Let me just say that with the 4477 filter on the car it seemed to be quieter, smoother and peppier than when I had the OEM and the factory fill. At about 8000 I took it to the dealer for another issue and had them do an oil change since I was there anyways. I gave them 4 quarts of Pennz Plat and they put on a OEM filter. For whatever reason after the change the car felt less peppy and noiser to me....very strange since all they did was change the oil! I began to think that maybe it was the Pennz that my Matrix was rejecting so I swapped it out with Mobil 1 again and this time a Mobil 1 M-103 filter(stock OEM size- same as 14476) Still felt rougher than with the first Mobil 1 fill.

My last OIC I did myself with a 14476 and GC. Car still never has recaptured that smooth feeling that I had with the M4477 filter and the first fill of Mobil 1.

I just doing some searching on here tonight and I just realized that the only diff between that first OIC and all the others was the size of the oil filter! Now I may be really reaching here but do you guys think that the size of the oil filter can make a difference in the feel or sound of the engine??

I guess this was a real long winded way of asking for reassurance that I can use a 14477 instead of a 14476 in my Trix
rolleyes.gif
I plan on trying one for my next change to see if I can recapture that nice smooth feeling and not as noisey engine(lifters, valve noise etc)as I had with the plain jane Mobil 4477 filter

My wife is looking at me real funny as I'm asking this question
wink.gif

The size of the oil filter shouldn't make a difference in the 'smoothness' of an engine. I maintain 3 Hondas and I always use an oversized Purolator 24458 on my Mom's 05 Civic, Dad's 01 Civic & wife's 98 Civic.

When you said you noticed that your Matrix was a little 'sluggish' with GC.....I noticed that same thing with my wife's car (felt like the tires were low on air) and I noticed a decrease in gas MPG. Stick with the factory spec oil weight for your car.
smile.gif

I would look at you a little funny, too. Umm... I don't know. Seems like with the different oils and filters, the variation could be anything. I can't think of any reason that the size would make any difference for an otherwise identical filter design.

I've run the Stock size filter and now the "approved replacement" Toyota Larger filter and no difference in my Corolla..

Of all the oils I've run, The only one that I can tell something was not the same (more topend noise) was when I ran Mobil 1 and only after about 1k miles till the change.

It also used more of the Mobil 1.

But I really can not see how the filter would make it run rougher???

My 3 cents, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: You know your in trouble when the Wife tells you to step away from the computer!
grin.gif

You said the truth there Bill...at least she acts like she is interested when I start talking about oil
smile.gif

Funny how same engine seemed to be quieter with Mobil 1 (first OIC) than yours. I've heard other people say the same thing about M1 and others say that Toyota's LOVE M1
dunno.gif

In any event I think I'll use a 14477 ProLine filter next OIC(maybe today!) after reading how they are pretty much the same thing as a Purolater at less than half the price

I found 1 PL14477 buried behind some PL14476 on the shelf at Advance Auto....the last one...Pep Boys didnt have them and in fact they were both out of this size in the Pure 1. Pep Boys even took the label off the shelf for the Pure 1 14477. Is this going away?

I did see the M/C FL-400s and it looks a LOT bigger/longer than even the PL14477. I put it back saying that it couldn't be right...so even with that extra length no probs(obviously if you are telling me you use it)

When using the bigger filters do you need to add more oil to make up for the size increase?

Use the dipstick. You should add more oil when using a bigger filter.

I use the FL400s on 2000 Corolla 1.8 with no problems.

I'll be honest i've had the same experience with my 06 Corolla.Using the stock size the engine felt buzzy,raspier and louder.I went to an upsized filter in the Motorcraft FL-400s which fits like a charm.

The engine is much smoother and quieter throughout the range using this filter along with either Syntec 5W30 or ST 5W30.It's a nicer filter for a buck more vs the ST4967.

You don't NEED to add more oil, but you can. If you don't, your dipstick may show a little low. Might as well add some extra capacity.

Picked up a FL-400s last night at Walmart for 3 bucks and some change....

Are guys SURE this fits no problem? Dang thing looks like it is over twice the length of a 14476
shocked.gif

Doesn't hang down too low? What led you guys to use such an oversized filter?

The difference between the PL76 and 77 is so minimal that I think it would barely register a difference on the dip stick. What are we talking here...a tenth of a quart?

Don't show up to the Dealership with the Non spec'd filter installed and a engine problem because you just gave them a reason not to give you a warrenty.
nono.gif

Also, someone here tried a PF-400 on thier Toyota and it knocked on startup.

I'd pass myself...
spaz.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

What's a PF-400? That's an AC/Delco right?

I'm hoping never to go back to the dealer again and seeing how I bought Toyota for the reliablity I hope never to have to.

BUT seeing how my window fell off it's track into my door 2 weeks ago while I was putting it down, I didn't have too much of a choice.
mad.gif
Glad it was 60 degrees that night instead of the single digits we now have. What a difference 2 weeks makes!

New piece of glass and a new regulator later I'm all set.
smile.gif

FL 400 I meant..
rolleyes.gif

The other PF!
grin.gif

Sorry to hear about the Window but glad they fixed it.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill- If you read this refresh my memory...Toyota has given the thumbs up to use the larger filter designated for the XRS 2zz engines to be able to be used on the 1ZZ(which we have)

Just want to cover my 6 as I may be going in to the dealer for a visit and run a 14477(2zz size)

Goose
patriot.gif

Blue_Goose, I switched my 98' Camry 5SFE engine over to the larger size filter a few months ago. It runs just fine. It is exactly the same as the smaller size filter, only with more media.

I think it's worth it for the extra media.

BTW, I haven't needed to add any additional oil to make the dipstick mark.

quote:

Bill- If you read this refresh my memory...Toyota has given the thumbs up to use the larger filter designated for the XRS 2zz engines to be able to be used on the 1ZZ(which we have)

Yep, It's approved as a substitute to the normal short filter. I called Toyota USA and they referred me to my local dealer. I called up 3 dealers and they said a-ok.
cheers.gif

In fact, one of the dealers only stocks the longer filter for all fours and the larger filter for the V6/V8s. 2 filters cover all Toyotas...
cool.gif

I ran for 2 OCIs the larger filter with no problems. Back to the smaller filter for now (got plenty of both sizes in the stash
grin.gif
) and no difference in startup (either warm or very cold) and the engine sounds and runs fine all the time.

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back