Trans work

Status
Not open for further replies.
That converter will not hurt it's open tracking performance at all (even if you don't go to these any more)??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Typical of MB transmissions they seem to be hit and miss, I know a number with almost no service and deep into the 6 figure range that are fine. Like anything they seem to last the longest on the lower HP cars.

I seriously doubt you know many cars with the extensive track use and dragstrip passes that this car has. I have owned at least one very high performance automobile since 1970, and absolutely none of them ever held up as good as this car has. Not a one.

My friends E55 AMG with lots of Brabus mods had probably just as much track time on it and put out a lot more HP than your car, also had about another 50k on it when he sold it. Trans was good, Brabus is a good tuner, and Mercedes a good engine and transmission builder.

As I said they seem to be hit and miss, more so in the Jag's don't know what Jag does to them but they do seem to grenade in the V8 super charged ones.

My other buddy with a diesel isn't anywhere near the HP but he tows a lot which creates a lot of sustained heat. Fluid was changed once at 150k, now coming up on 250k and going strong. Diesel are more kindly to the entire drive train though because they build power slower than a gas motor does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Sounds like it put a smile on your face and that is truly all that counts.

Absolutely. There's just a subtle thrill with this car that has never left me. Normally don't keep one this long, but this one is a special ride. Full on luxury silence and smoothness combined with what may be the best brakes I have ever driven and track ready, too!

Yeah that Mercedes-Benz sourced (and AMG tweaked) 722.6x 5-speed gearbox was an engineering triumph in its day. Still is.

When MB brought out its monster torque twin turbo V12 variants (e.g., SL600/S65), engineers eschewed the then-new 722.9x 7-speed gearbox in favor of 722.6 versions.

Curious how the 'right' torque converter and spot-on programming helps make the driving experience that much more rewarding. Well done.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Yeah that Mercedes-Benz sourced (and AMG tweaked) 722.6x 5-speed gearbox was an engineering triumph in its day. Still is.

When MB brought out its monster torque twin turbo V12 variants (e.g., SL600/S65), engineers eschewed the then-new 722.9x 7-speed gearbox in favor of 722.6 versions.

Curious how the 'right' torque converter and spot-on programming helps make the driving experience that much more rewarding. Well done.

Indeed. This slushbox has ball and roller bearings where other trans use plain, infintely variable TC lockup, a very sophisticated valve body design, and extremely wide ratio spread. In its day it was one of the best designs on the market.

Still better than many. I have owned quite a few very powerful street cars, and none of them held a candle to this one. The trans and engine are a BIG part of that, as these two work together flawlessly...

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Awesome you were able to pinpoint and fix the problem before it went out completely. *cough*

Actually many folks would never have noticed. This programming allows it to slur around town and seldom goes beyond 2000 rpm in normal driving. There are few roads where you can safely give this car the boot, so it could have lasted years more just like it was!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back