Avital Remote Start - Any Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the Subject line reads, I'm looking for anyone that can share experience with the Avital brand remote start system. Does it work the way it is supposed to? Is the range good? Any problems?

Today, while getting a clear bra applied to my Outback, while waiting I asked the salesman about remote start. For my Outback, he recommended the Avital. It seems to have all the features I am interested in. And the price seems fair. Can anyone speak to this product?

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
What specifically don't you like about it?

it kills BRAND new batteries in about 1 week and then the lock & unlock button takes about 5 tries to work..and then to top if all off it has a 5 yard range? when the battery is new it does work from 30 yards....guess what? BOTH the keyless entry remote do this, not just one.

Avital is not bad, they are owned by Directed Electronics Inc. (DEI) which is the same company that makes Viper and Python. Avital is the lesser expensive line but that does not mean the quality is not there, DEI has excellent product quality and most of their lines have a lifetime warranty when installed by an authorized dealer.

The most important thing to remember is the remote start or alarm will only be as good as the guy who installs it. Find a shop with experienced installers who are Mobile Electronics Certification Professional (MECP) certified and you should be fine. MECP is the same type of program as ASE is for mechanics. Don't trust the job or your car to anyone else. You can visit www.directed.com and www.mecp.com for more info. You can also check on Crutchfield's web site for DEI reviews, they sell DEI but do not carry Avital. Sonic Electronix does sell Avital and you may find some good customer reviews there.

I have the Avital 5303 remote start plus security. It has an lcd remote which is great for knowing why the alarm has been activated. I installed it on my own this past January and have had zero issues. If you go aftermarket, you really need to do a lot of research on wiring, then some more. There is a lot to know about signals, voltages, and certain wiring shortcuts that you can take. This is all assuming you will be doing a self install.

As far as the actual unit, its pretty good - theres a few things that bother me, but it's more because I am very picky and set my standards too high. I live in a condo building (8th floor) and my car starts fine from about 300 yards away. Only issue is depending on my remotes battery level, I may not receive the reply from the car. Another thing that bothers me is if I wait too long to unlock, I have to be really close for it to let me unlock it. Its a feature that they have built in. I can get cabin temperature on my remote by using a specific button sequence. Overall, its good enough for me. I dont need a mile long range, so im happy. I gripe that it uses AAA batteries, but I get about 2-3 months of daily use from 1 battery.

Also, if self-installing, don't buy a DEI bypass, check Fortin's website if they have an application for your car and buy theirs if they do. The key-override-all works great and is programmed by you turning the key and pressing buttons, so no need to buy a programmer for an additional $60-80. Plus of you buy their product, they give you 1 free wire guide
thumbsup2.gif

I bought mine from Sonicelectronix.com . Paid $112 with free shipping. Cant beat that for all the features you get with this unit. I like DEI's actual systems, have had many, just HATE their bypasses.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Search eBay and online for the OEM Subaru add on remote start, which IIRC is made by Code Alarm, which is simple and good.

I specifically don't want the Subaru OEM remote start. It has a quirky oddity, in that after remote starting the engine, when the door is unlocked it kills the engine. I'm sure that Subaru intended this to be a security feature. But there are other ways to assure that only one with an ignition key can drive the car.

I'll have to look at Viper more closely. The store I went to only had security/remote start systems in the Viper line. I want remote start only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back