AC-Delco PF52 and Wix 51036 filter the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

Today I bought an AC-Delco PF52 filter from the local O'reillys. They had a filter comparison display comparing the Wix, AC-Delco, Motorcraft, Fram, and Progaurd filters. I thought that the Wix filter on display looked like the best built of the bunch so I pulled down a Wix 51036 filter to take a look at it and compare it to the AC-Delco PF52 I was about to buy.

I was shocked to see that the Wix filter looked identical to the Delco filter. I examined both of them closer and I could not see any differences at all except for the color of the case. They both had the same number of holes on the top with both being the same size. They both had the number "18" on the top next to the holes. The both had red silicone anti-drainback valves with the same wording on them. The insides looked identical.

The biggest difference was the price. The Delco was $2.99 and the Wix was $5 and some change.

So does anyone know who is making both of these filters?

Wayne

Up until no to long ago, the delcos were good filters for the price. Recently, they have changed manufacturers and are no longer called "duraguard". Many are now made in Mexico.
The filter that is cut open at the parts store, more or may not be what they are selling you. If they have the good old stock delcos now, at some point they will run out and the mexico ones will then be sold. I have seen rust in some of the mexico ones that I have bought.

Buy the wix or the napa-gold (same thing). They are still made in the US. If price is a factor, buy them from www.fleetfilter.com . I just had an order come in and the filters were about $3.50 each including shipping. They are worth the extra money over the delco.

The Delco I bought still said Duraguard on the box. The cut open filters on display were a different part number than the filter I bought or the Wix I looked at. The Delco did have the cotton fiber looking endcaps though. Not very impressive. I may buy both of these filters to cut open to see what the difference is inside. On the outside and what you could see inside, they looked identical

Wayne

Keep us updated on whether or not you cut them open. I'm interested in seeing if they are the same, because if so, then I'll be even more satisfied knowing that I can get Duraguards for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back