General View Of Fram Tough Guards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fram Ultra Guard gets hi marks for construction , flow and filtering ...What is the concensus of the Fram Tough Guard for running conventional , syn blend and full synthetics <7,500 miles or 6 months ?

Beside the Ultra, I wouldn't use any Fram filter. Lower 2 lines are pretty junky IMO, mostly because I am REALLY not impressed with the build quality (or lack their of.) For the same money (or less) you can purchase any of the following that will filter as well and hold up better: Purolator, Baldwin, Hastings, Wix etc.

Last edited:
If they're going to be used in an OCI which stretches 6 months or more, I feel better using something with metal end caps. For shorter OCIs they're a quality filter. Of course I have no literature to back me up on this gut feeling, it is just something that makes me feel better. I just feel as though the cardboard material could potentially start to degrade after being in use for too long.

On average I drive my Ram about 500 miles a week. This is typically all around town, lots of starts and stops. I drive 13 miles to get to work then another 13 miles to get home, while I work I typically am making multiple 3-10 mile trips. Because of this driving style I stick with Synthetic oil and a Fram TG. I change the oil and filter every 5k miles which is normally every 2.5-3 months.

The Monte Carlo gets driven a couple times a week, 20+ mile trips, for around 300 miles a week. I go by OLM which could extend an OCI to around 8 months or 6-8k miles, because of the time, not the mileage, I choose to step up the filter to an Ultra.

My mom's CX-5 has a 6k mile/6 month OCI schedule. Most of the time she reaches 6 months before she's reaching 6k miles, I'd say she's normally at 4,500-5,000. Because of the time aspect of this OCI as well I choose a filter with metal end plates, usually a Mazda filter.

I have been using Fram products for 40 years. Never a problem.FWIW I have used their composite end cap filters on Motorcycles with an 18 month OCI...no problem.

Last edited:
Why are metal end caps better? fiber ones provide more flex for the filter material. frams also are built great. The ultras are excellent. even the orange cans are great filters. I've cut open every fram I have owned and they all were perfect. One of the best and most widely used filters in the world.

sooo..
Fram uses metal end caps on their ultra line
and
cardboard end caps on their budget line ...

I think it is pretty safe to assume that they believe metal end caps to be superior.

if this weren't true the ultra would have cardboard endcaps as well since they have so much more "flex" as you say

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: abycat
Why are metal end caps better?

Photo courtesy of Honda civic forums

Need to show this to my dad. He won't use anything but a fram orange can.

Sheesh! Look at that garbage. How can anyone make excuses for it/the company? That metal crimp strip at this point is the only structural support on the whole cartridge.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
sooo..
Fram uses metal end caps on their ultra line
and
cardboard end caps on their budget line ...

I think it is pretty safe to assume that they believe metal end caps to be superior.

if this weren't true the ultra would have cardboard endcaps as well since they have so much more "flex" as you say

No, they use metal end caps on the Ultra because of the filtering media thickness/mesh.

While that doesn't look great, there's technically nothing wrong with it. The filter is still doing its job. It's filtering better than a Purolator with metal end caps and torn media.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

While that doesn't look great, there's technically nothing wrong with it. The filter is still doing its job. It's filtering better than a Purolator with metal end caps and torn media.

exactly. Looks bad but is not at all. All I got to say is they are 100 times better than purolator and fibre end caps cost less than metal and different types of media need different end caps to hold it. hence the fibre on the orange can and the metal on the other frams.

exactly. Looks bad but is not at all. All I got to say is they are 100 times better than purolator and fibre end caps cost less than metal and different types of media need different end caps to hold it. hence the fibre on the orange can and the metal on the other frams.

That looks almost identical to the Fram PH3506 I cut open a few years ago. I posted the pics back when I cut it open, but could re-post them if necessary. FWIW, we noticed no start-up noises or anything out of the ordinary, even when the pleats and end caps were wavy and bent up.

exactly. Looks bad but is not at all. All I got to say is they are 100 times better than purolator...

100 Times better than Purolator...I stopped reading there
crackmeup2.gif

I love how filter failures are posted with no usage history. Whether it be Fram or a failed Purolator, no usage details make the photo worthless. How many miles were on this filter? Honda Civic forum ehhh? Is it same to assume this filter saw some pretty hard use? Lol.

Nothing wrong with a TG. I like them because they keep my Jeep quiet on start up. I assume the EG and the Ultra would be the same way seeing how they have the same bypass. I am giving the WIX made Napa Silver a try next though.

Ill be sure to post my TG for you guys when I cut it open.
laugh.gif

Wonder how long it will take for folks to understand the difference between "cardboard" and "fiber board".

Actually it looks like the "fiber board" held up just fine.

That filter is structurally failed.

There is no rigiditiy in either the fiberboard end caps or longitudinally in the media area.

My guess is bypass is over 80% here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back