a decent white outdoor paint....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a patio that has those wavy metal sheets for a roof.I want to paint the top part white to deflect some of the sunlight heat.What's a decent brand or type to use,say,from "Home Cheapo" or Lowe's? Thanks

Pressure wash it, or at least clean it as best as possible.

Then Prime it with a quality exterior primer.
After an hour or two of drying, probably less, then paint with a name brand exterior paint.

Don't cheap out.
Paint is one of those things you get what you pay for.

Well for good paint, it's usually either Aura from Benjamin Moore or Duration from Sherwin Williams. Aura is considered the better of the two, but it's more expensive. Duration is sometimes on sale, Sherwin Williams runs sales of 30-40% off all the time, but they only do 40% a couple times a year.

Are you talking about corrugated metal? It's usually galvanized steel, so whatever is good for that, which if you want the good stuff, is the 2k auto stuff.

Anyway, cheapo home paint... Benjamin Moore (you can get it at OSH) and Sherwin Williams are the better brands, though in California, I'm not sure you can get good exterior paint anymore. Nothing seems to last.

About 10 years ago I painted my metal shed with industrial enamel after using Zinser primer. It's holding up pretty well so far. Might be impossible to get in California.

I'm up doing work and keep thinking about this.

Also check out Epoxy based paints.
Like those used for Garage Floors.

It will survive weather, hail, whatever much better than normal paint... if it sticks to the galvanized steel that is.

I disagree about getting what you pay for with paint. A lot of what you pay for at a Ben Moore store goes into store overhead (those glossy brocuhures, rent, etc).

Behr or Valspar will perform just as well.

I've done side-by-side tests myself, because I ran out of gloss-white mid project, and switched from BM to Behr. The Behr was out-performing the BM after 7 years in the sun and rain.

Save your money on the botique paints.

Paint seems to be an emotional subject to people, just as....oil
smile.gif

I am surprised there isn't a bobisthepaintguy site.

The key to proper adhesion of primer and paint to corrugated galvanized steel is that the surface is perfectly clean and free of any chemical residue used to clean it. The surface should be cool to the touch and in the shade, overcast days with no rain in the forecast are best. I've seen people apply latex products to hot metal and steam would come off, this is not good!

Check out the link for a very good primer. You do not want an oil based primer or topcoat. They don't expand and contact well, especially on sheet type products exposed to direct sunlight. Use any good exterior latex paint, just make sure the mfg. states its OK on galvanized metal. Make sure the products are dry before re-coating.
http://www.thepaintstore.com/Insl_x_AQUA_LOCK_Plus_Acrylic_Stain_Killing_Primer_p/aq400.htm

Bulls-Eye 123 is OK too.

I would use the paint that is made for this. A reflective coating for metal roofs and tops of trailers. Home depot and Lowes sell it near the roofing materials. Read the directions for priming. If I remember correctly it is self-priming.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I disagree about getting what you pay for with paint. A lot of what you pay for at a Ben Moore store goes into store overhead (those glossy brochures, rent, etc).

Behr or Valspar will perform just as well.

I've done side-by-side tests myself, because I ran out of gloss-white mid project, and switched from BM to Behr. The Behr was out-performing the BM after 7 years in the sun and rain.

Save your money on the botique paints.

Paint seems to be an emotional subject to people, just as....oil
smile.gif

I am surprised there isn't a bobisthepaintguy site.

Like everything BM has different grades of paint. Which one did you get at BM? One grade below Aura would be Regal and then they have cheaper contractor grade paints. Aura came out a few years ago and it's now their top paint which superseded Regal which was their best paint before. Also BM has minimum pricing, some stores just charge you list price and others will just give you the lowest price they're allowed to sell it at. Sherwin Williams stores are company owned and the best time to get deals there are when they're having a sale, typically around a holiday weekend. I've done lots of painting, have 15 rental units, normally I use Sherwin Williams, but in a pinch I'll use Behr. Sherwin Williams is way better, that is their Duration and Superpaint lines. Go ahead and read the painting forums, most painting contractors prefer BM with Sherwin Williams a close second.

I'd say clean the metal to make it shiny again. Shiny metal is an excellent reflector and much easier to care for than paint, particularly on a low-slope surface.

I guess I'm oldschool, but anything metal would be well suited to an Alkyd/Oil Base paint. I sell Benjamin Moore paint and by far we sell #P22 Alkyd Gloss Enamel the most for those applications. It retails for around $36.99 a gallon. #176 Alkyd Base Primer should be used in conjunction. There is #P24 DTM Semigloss that is a direct to metal. There is also a Advance Gloss (unsure of # on top of my head) that is an oil base that is soap/water cleanup.

Anyway, cheapo home paint... Benjamin Moore (you can get it at OSH) and Sherwin Williams are the better brands, though in California, I'm not sure you can get good exterior paint anymore. Nothing seems to last. [/quote]

Anything to back this up
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The key to proper adhesion of primer and paint to corrugated galvanized steel is that the surface is perfectly clean and free of any chemical residue used to clean it. The surface should be cool to the touch and in the shade, overcast days with no rain in the forecast are best. I've seen people apply latex products to hot metal and steam would come off, this is not good!

Check out the link for a very good primer. You do not want an oil based primer or topcoat. They don't expand and contact well, especially on sheet type products exposed to direct sunlight. Use any good exterior latex paint, just make sure the mfg. states its OK on galvanized metal. Make sure the products are dry before re-coating.
http://www.thepaintstore.com/Insl_x_AQUA_LOCK_Plus_Acrylic_Stain_Killing_Primer_p/aq400.htm

Bulls-Eye 123 is OK too.

listen to the man here, he knows paint.

In the game late not sure 100% on substrate you have but for the most part big box stores offer junk. The system I would use is from Diamond Vogel Pinnacle Coatings.

Primer Multi-E-Poxy 180
Topcoat Multi- Thane 340 for Semi gloss or 330 for Gloss

Prep Prep Prep is the Key but when that is done why not use top notch products do it right the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back