Decarbonizing pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I prefer the MolaSoke for a slow cleaning of piston crowns and rings.

I've heard that many times, but not what that is exactly.

Water decarbonizing will work but it is tricky.

The MolaSoke is simply a slow decarbonizing process:

1. Remove spark plugs.

2. Inject something such as LC20 or equivalent into each cylinder, about 4 oz.

3. Turn crankshaft by hand at least one revolution about every other hour. Continue until LC20 or equivalent soaks past rings. This may take at least one day.

4. Remove any remaining LC20 or equivalent on piston tops to avoid hydrolock.

5. Replace plugs and start engine in well ventilated area.
smile.gif

6. Replace engine oil.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Water believe it or not is an excellent solvent. I've seen people soak pistons overnight in seafoam during rebuilds and there was no difference in the amount of carbon on the pistons.
A gallon of distilled water is considerably cheaper than a few ounces of seafoam or any other top end cleaner that may or may not produce similar results. I've seen cars that have had the heads removed to replace a leaking HG, the piston that had the leak was comparatively spotless against the other cylinders that weren't effected by the leak.
Also there is no real rigging up to do. I already did that when I put in my vacuum gauge. All I would need to do would be to pull the vacuum hose off the gauge and put on a constricting device to suck water slowly.

Guess which cylinder had the coolant leak? LOL

armen05.jpg

armen02.jpg

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
armen02.jpg

Is that crud on the valves or are they burnt?

Crud. That cylinder was burning a fair bit of oil because of the coolant wash-down which fubar'd the bore in that cylinder. Due to it fouling plugs, the exhaust valve didn't get hot enough to stay clean.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am confused; those two pictures are from the same engine or different engine??

Same engine. One is one of the heads, the other is the block.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Guess which cylinder had the coolant leak? LOL

armen05.jpg

armen02.jpg

Well how about that...
I did another round of water injection today; about .25l or so then did an italian tune-up. Also added some techron concentrate to a full tank. I'm going out of town for a few days next week and may do a MolaSoke while I'm away. Would the engine absolutely HAVE to be cranked over during the time I'm gone (3 days)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back