DI intake valves CAN be cleaned with PEA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would not an oil catch can help with the slug/oil deposits on the intake valve?

I have one on my '13 insight and it has a few oz every oil change

As far as i know, Toyota/Lexus appears to be the only mfr to resolve this issue with their PFi/GDi combination. This fix coming from a company that already recommends top quality 0w20 synthetics.

If you frequent the various mfr forums where d.i. valve deposit concerns are discussed; catch cans, synthetic oil, top tier fuels, additives, etc, have all appeared to fall short. Many folks using these methods have expressed their frustrations. The only DIY 'solution' other than a walnut wash that appears to have any traction is, adopting a more conservative oci. Who knows...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: minis
Would not an oil catch can help with the slug/oil deposits on the intake valve?

I have one on my '13 insight and it has a few oz every oil change

The only documented usage of catch cans I have found with pictures show they do not prevent intake valve deposits.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can you explain why frequent OCI or catch can will prevent the intake carbon deposits?

OCI? No idea. I just see various posters on those forums advising it works for them... i'm skeptical that it does anything for deposits. Dilution? yes, but not deposits.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can you explain why frequent OCI or catch can will prevent the intake carbon deposits?

+1 I'd love to learn about that too.

Originally Posted By: crw
It's amazing how many people still don't understand the issue of direct injection vs. legacy fuel injection and the cleaning of valves.

I know additives have little effect on valve deposits on DI engines(although Redline does think otherwise). Still, I have to believe that a percentage of the Techron additives are surviving the combustion process and having a beneficial effect on the EGR system, as the replaced OEM EGR valve has not clogged in 80k miles; the original was DOA before 60k.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I know additives have little effect on valve deposits on DI engines(although Redline does think otherwise). Still, I have to believe that a percentage of the Techron additives are surviving the combustion process and having a beneficial effect on the EGR system, as the replaced OEM EGR valve has not clogged in 80k miles; the original was DOA before 60k.

Good news...

Another interesting approach is the use of GrpIV/V pcmo's instead of GrpIII. I may buy RP after all.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: crw
It's amazing how many people still don't understand the issue of direct injection vs. legacy fuel injection and the cleaning of valves.

This is accurate. PEA manages to survive the combustion process and is able to provide some cleaning. I would imagine that if you use the complete fuel system cleaner version with higher concentrations every 3000 miles you might keep most of the deposits at bay.

Last edited:
I believe unless a DI engine has the extra valve per cylinder then nothing short of a upper intake cleaning service is going to really help .

It's interesting that the link showed that deposits decreased. They basically took a DI engine with deposits on the valves, measured them, put everything back together, ran the car some miles on a test track on fuel with a higher than normal PEA concentration then took it apart and discovered significantly less deposits. I'd like to know what caused this. They are saying the PEA did it.

It could easily have been simple higher rpm operation.

Obviously, some carmakers have the DI thing figured out a lot better than others.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Obviously, some carmakers have the DI thing figured out a lot better than others.

+1

Originally Posted By: Alext
It's interesting that the link showed that deposits decreased. They basically took a DI engine with deposits on the valves, measured them, put everything back together, ran the car some miles on a test track on fuel with a higher than normal PEA concentration then took it apart and discovered significantly less deposits. I'd like to know what caused this. They are saying the PEA did it.

Need to know the driving done on the track. High RPMs for extended periods WILL burn off deposits w/out any cleaners.

Does CRC's intake valve cleaner hold any promise? If it is that powerful, one should be able to spray it on a spark plug and dissolve all the carbon from the plug, right?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

That is doubtful as the carbon bond is very strong and the hardened deposits will NOT simply burn off due to high temps, they are hard as rock, the PEA breaks that carbon bond gradually at the molecular level.

Heard about this on the radio a few days ago. Wonder if anyone else knows anything about it. They were discussing things like being discussed here... contaminates from PCV and how valves are not cleaned in DI compared to PI designs. I have no clue if this is what it claims, just asking. There are a bunch of products and videos at this site.

http://www.terraclean.net

Has anyone done a test with a DI engine that involves sustained high RPM driving to see if that cleans the valves in a DI engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back