Where is your "proper" oil temperature sensor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing with my type K thermocouple and oil temperatures in the Caprice has me wondering where everyone's "proper" oil temperature gauges are reading.

I'm measuring at around the mid point of the dipstick F/L, but have noticed that there's a gradient of 12-15C down to the sump wall (to be expected).

Has got me wondering where all of these "proper" temperature gauges are reading ?

Thermoprobes close to sump walls, sensors in galleries ?

Please list yours if you know it.

Some alfas (Suds) in Oz had their oil tempertures measured by a special dipstick, as did (I think) Jean Berg when playing with Dak Daks.

It would be nice to see if my old cars have oil temp sensor but only way to know is to get a scan gauge?

No intention to add any modifications though

The pattern of temps may be more important than the location. Establish normal and watch for a pattern change. You can also keep track of time to temp when you start up. If everything is okay right now then where you start is "normal". The only thing you gain by a more "correct" location might be a quicker indication of a problem but that might just be speculation. You could be driving and not notice and therefor lose any advantage of that quicker indication. In other words don't over think what you're doing. Besides coolant temp and cooling system pressure will give you a much quicker signal for things going wrong.

I have my type K thermocouple entering the pan where the diptstick tube enters the pan. The TC head itself is about an inch off the bottom of the pan, near the pickup tube

Originally Posted By: jrustles
I have my type K thermocouple entering the pan where the diptstick tube enters the pan. The TC head itself is about an inch off the bottom of the pan, near the pickup tube

This sounds reasonable. My OE temperature sender is at the same location as the pressure sensor.

Shannow, I would make sure yours is far enough down into the sump that it stays submerged in oil at high rpm.

I just moved mine from a remote mount filter with a sandwich plate to the OEM filter adapter. Drilled and tapped the adapter. It is on the filter out side and after the oil to water heat exchanger the filter screws onto. I also have the OEM oil temp gauge I can read through OBDII. It's up on the head where the CVVT cam solenoids are.

What I see is the coolest oil coming from the sump through the oil 'cooler' and the hottest oil that is up at the top of the head and going into the sump.

There is usually a 5F difference when driving but at idle they equal out.

When I had it on the remote mount the temp difference was over 10F. I attribute this to either bad grounding of the sensor or the fact the remote filter setup shed quite a bit of heat.

I have a drain plug VDO sensor in my 318, and it certainly does read cold. I need to stick a k type thermocouple down the dipstick tube to compare.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have a drain plug VDO sensor in my 318, and it certainly does read cold. I need to stick a k type thermocouple down the dipstick tube to compare.

Please do, I'd like to see the results...

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
What I see is the coolest oil coming from the sump through the oil 'cooler' and the hottest oil that is up at the top of the head and going into the sump.

The hottest oil in your engine should be the oil exiting the mains and big ends. That's where the shearing is taking place and where the engine is actually performing work against it.

I'm seeing some very very high temperatures in that virtually directly under the crank, and that's mixedwith oil that's run down the valley over the water cooled block surfaces.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3443497/3/Italian_tune-up_and_oil_temper

As an aside, with a bulk oil temperature of (say 100C), the stuff exiting the mains should be 115-120 at high(ish) speed. As the big ends are being fed oil that's already done some work in the mains, I've no idea how high that would be.

I am of the opinion that's where varnish is started, hot oil spray, lots of surface are, in an environment of blowby gasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back