GMC Sierra, 4L60E factory fill 87,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a uoa from a 2003 sierra 1500 I just bought. Transmission shifts fine. This is believed to be the factory fill. I have since done 4 drain and fills and will resample in a year. Anybody think this is anything to worry about? My interpretation was this is left over metal from break in and long oil run. Mike

Blackstone comments:
Slightly low viscosity #'s. We doubt that points to any serious problem, but it probably does show this was a long oil run. Metals in this report were quite high, so we could believe that this is still the factory fill of transmission fluid--that would mean these metals are still lingering from wear in, and the long oil run is a factor as well. Universal averages are besed on just 17,400 miles of use. Check back in 15,000 miles after fluid change.

OIL dexron 3 FF
MILES IN USE 87,000
MILES 87,000
SAMPLE TAKEN 9/20/13

ALUMINUM 22
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 291
COPPER 126
LEAD 258
TIN 8
MOLYBDENUM 0
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 6
SILVER 1
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 6
BORON 80
SILICON 8
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 42
MAGNESIUM 1
PHOSPHORUS 233
ZINC 21
BARIUM 1

SUS @ 210 40.6
cSt @ 100 4.34
FLASHPOINT 360
WATER % 0.0
INSOLUBLES % TAN 0.0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Probably the original owner is someone who believed changing the automatic transmission fluid causes a transmission to blow?

Most people don't realize it needs to be changed and never have it done unless a garage recommends it. And even then, only if they trust their mechanic.

i change mine every 30k or so. but my extended family never changes, but then again once their cars get over 100k the cars are about done for because of the neglect.

Looks about normal for a FF ATF wth that mileage.

I am glad you are doing changes and often.

This is one example of where DexIII has sheared down to 4.x cSt and no longer provides a decent hydrodynamic film.

I would change to a GM licensed DexVI, or MAxlife ATF, or Redline D6.

Last edited:
Currently using Supertech Dex. III. But this is temporary. I am trying to purge the system of the metal.

Later this month I am going to drop the pan, change the filter, and see what is in the pan. After this I am going to switch to Dex. VI.

I will update when the pan is dropped.

I like your plan.

The UOA shows what is typically expected for high exposure FF fluids. Nothing out of the ordinary here. And as you said, the tranny is probably fine. Kind of puts the AR oil change mentality in perspective ... Things will not generally implode if one does not use syns every 15k miles ...

I do agree and subscribe to the idea that flushing out FF is a good practice, and early is better than later.

You've flushed enough, if you have 4 OCIs in recent use.

I would recommend ST Dex VI; it's licensed, is a good price, is easy to attain, and will last a LONG time.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Currently using Supertech Dex. III. But this is temporary. I am trying to purge the system of the metal.

Later this month I am going to drop the pan, change the filter, and see what is in the pan. After this I am going to switch to Dex. VI.

I will update when the pan is dropped.

well i finally got around to dropping the pan and this is what i found.

other than metal paste on the magnet no other metal found in the pan. the sediment appears to be clutch dust?
Here is what the pan looks like clean.

I also filled the system back up with Dexron VI and so far she is shifting alot better! but was never shifting bad. You would never know the uoa came back full of metal a year ago!

Quote:
the sediment appears to be clutch dust?

Well, it's worn clutch particles or "clutch paste."
smile.gif

Lookin' good.

Last edited:
That is actually cleaner than what I am used to seeing. I am especially impressed with the lack of metallic fuzz on the magnet.

I keep looking for lasting effects of the high iron on the ff, and the shear of the fluid. The only thing I can come up with is the rear tail shaft seal is weeping slightly. I am assuming that is from the iron level at 291, seeing how that would be abrasive enough to cause seal leaks.

This transmission was on track to fail at 120k? had an intervention not been done. I think the owners manual recommendation of 100k on factory dexron III is very lax for the long term survival of these units.

And yes I was pleasantly suprised at the condition of the pan. The previous owner must not have abused it. I can live with clutch paste!

The tailshaft seal can form a false seal when the fluid gets oxidized.

New fluid removes that seal and the worn seal then leaks.

Take a UOA every 10k and see what trends you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back