What does Liqui-Moly CERATEC do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

NOW, do you really want any of this stuff in your motor oil, a motor oil that has had thousands of dollars of Research and Development behind it to yield a "balanced" lubricant, verses some company that does not?

In engines showing no signs of problems or evidence of a problem, the only benefit is to the OTC additive company.

Lubro Moly/Liqui Moly is a Oil Company that sells Motor Oil as well as Additives.

What Makes you believe that they dont have a R&D department with a Good Budget?

What makes you believe they do?
smile.gif

Why would a company that sells oil need to sell oil additives?

Shell/Exxon/Quaker State/Castrol just to name a few don't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
What makes you believe they need to sell OTC additives if they have such a great motor oil, other than increased sales?

I see no reason why a company should not always go for increased sales, Do you?

I'll take a wild guess tho:

They, Like many other oil companies make mid range priced oils for High volume sales. Im sure they have a price point to meet in order to stay competetive.

The company is doing very well in Europe.

The additives are an extra expense for those that want/need them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Why would a company that sells oil need to sell oil additives?

Shell/Exxon/Quaker State/Castrol just to name a few don't.

I thought Shell owned Slick 50.

I think both Liqui Moly and Archoil dealt with the commercial engines first perhaps. I know that is the case with Archoil based on my research but they are now moving into the auto market. Stiction in the Ford diesels I think opened the door for Archoil.

When you have an engine that make take 100 quarts to fill and you move the OCI from 250 hours to 500 by using an Archoil product that can be a huge cost savings all way around.

Most I expect agree no motor oil additives are needed for our daily drivers so the engine will wear out the chassis.

That can be a different story for an engine 60' long weighing in at several several tons deep inside of a ship.

For most on this site motor oil is a hobby that takes our cash.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
Some people spend money on golfing, bass boats, etc. I like to spend extra on lubes.
smile.gif

One can also add; firearms/ammo stockpiling, gambling, booze, cancer sticks/ceegars, 'recreational' drugs, and MANY other things to the above list.
wink.gif

"Most I expect agree no motor oil additives are needed for our daily drivers"

well I had been in league "the oil is in perfection", now i quit

a reason: added Xenum MoX-G
and it feels a difference , especially in acceleration, can not say about fuel saving, not my style of driving (car is g37)

So, excluding 95% additives on market that really do nothing at the best. only few will work.

And for oil manufactures, are they really interesting in the best product? I believe not:
A. the product should competitive in the price, mixing a perfection will inflate it significantly
B. storage life, sedimentation, transportation in volume, compatibility
C. environment requirements
D. test on outdated primitive engines, not reflecting a modern engines and a driving cycle.
E. oil specifications or criteria artificially lowered

Oh yes, additional carbon and moly powders should really improve oil quality.

I have no idea what you are trying to say in the rest of your post.

Last edited:
Additives had their day maybe 50 years ago but in cars built in the last 50 years I have not seen one engine die before the chassis where the motor oil stated in the manual and the OCI where followed. MoS2 and Ceratec does cut engine noise in my experience so that sounds like a plus to my ears. In abused engines they may even add a few miles to an engines life.

One additive that I use often in engines is Seafoam as a flush right before the oil change. The oil can be relative clear right before a change but after 20 minutes of idle the Seafoam will make it get very dark sometimes. That sold me on that it was working well and I was happy for a long time until I had another thought. What if all the Seafoam was doing was flushing the oil filter and putting carbon back into the engine oil? Now I have to do a filter only change some day then add the Seafoam.
smile.gif

Speaking of filter only changes I have cleared up new oil after doing a change in an abused engine and going with a high detergent oil like Rotella 5W-40 in an old engine that only had seen dino oil and extended OCI's. The 1989 Ford 429 in the F700 truck is one case. We got it showing 144K and am clueless to its history. It took two days for the crud in the old NAPA Gold oil filter to drain out and the Rotella was black after 200 miles but after about three filter only changes it cleared up and 5 years later is relative clear after maybe 1000+ miles. We have a lot of gravel hauling coming up and have the wood bed flooring removed and going back with steel plate and will be changing the oil. The drain plug is very worn so it is a fine line between not getting it tight enough and stripping it out so I try not to 'over' change it.
smile.gif

Again lubes are of interest to me and some marketing departments to an awesome job of peeking that interest.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins

...One additive that I use often in engines is Seafoam as a flush right before the oil change. The oil can be relative clear right before a change but after 20 minutes of idle the Seafoam will make it get very dark sometimes. That sold me on that it was working well and I was happy for a long time until I had another thought. What if all the Seafoam was doing was flushing the oil filter and putting carbon back into the engine oil? Now I have to do a filter only change some day then add the Seafoam....
smile.gif

Any solvent in a thin mineral oil will thin out the engine oil and soften sludge.

That's basically the definition of an engine flush product. You add it before an oil change to get rid of indicated or suspected sludge and maybe varnish.

In a neglected engine, such as an engine which has not had regular oil changes or proper maintenance, a Flush can help with the cleaning.

But it is beyond me why someone would leave a flush type product in an engine over an OCI.

After following all the Liqui-Moly Ceratec and MOS2 threads for months, I finally added 150 ml Ceratec to the 2.5 liters fresh HDEO 15W-40 in the Beetle today.

The opaque cafe au lait color was a surprise to me!

Will be very interested to see what the next UOA (many months from now) reads.

After 7700 miles of running the Ceratec in the 2000 Towncar now with 156K miles we changed oil using 5W/20.At the same point and more or less under same conditions MPG is running around same as with Ceratec. I have a can of MoS2 that I can add at some point. Dropped from 70 to 45 now that increased MPG.:)

GaleHawkins said:
After 7700 miles of running the Ceratec in the 2000 Towncar now with 156K miles we changed oil using 5W/20.At the same point and more or less under same conditions MPG is running around same as with Ceratec. I have a can of MoS2 that I can add at some point. Dropped from 70 to 45 now that increased MPG.:) [/quote

"Dropped from 70 to 45" What does this mean? Please clarify.

After we crossed from IL to WI on to Appleton mpg went from 24 to 26.5. Now on return trip driving 55-65 with some 30 mph towns hitting 26.5.

Will be picking up I-39 soon and will see what it does to mpg.

Starting to wondering if it may take may take MoS2 300-400 miles to fully coat parts. We know from WWII planes MoS2 protected engines for a short period of time after totally loosing engine oil.

2500 miles on Ceratec to fully coat in my view.

We have about 1000 miles after adding MoS2 to new oil change after a 7700 OCI running Ceratec. MPG is same as when running the Ceratec in the oil.

I never thought to check mileage before adding MoS2 three changes ago. 22 mpg is a figure I remembered ft long ago be sure we were not run 44 psi tire pressure back then.

Based on this 2000 Towncar with 157K miles I can not say MoS2 improved mpg. I can say say running Ceratec for 7700 miles at no point improved mpg over using MoS2 the change before running Ceratec only for 7700 miles.

I can say running MoS2 after Ceratec did not improve mpg.

From testing Ceratec in the blown 325 Polaris engine I am convinced does nano coating. Using MoS2 makes me comfortable to double a 3000 oci.

Next I would like to test Archoil AR9300.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back