How long can I run this Castrol Synblend 5w20 for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. 08 Scion tC
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
5k OCI... No idea on the rest don't have the manual. I can look it up if necessary I guess?
3. Atlanta
4. I drive hard and fast usually.
5. City is large most trips are 15m or more. Good bit of highway miles.
6. known problems- about a quart every 4k miles.

I'm tired of changing every 3k.
When I change at 3k the oil drip stream is dark brown. In the pan looks black. At 5k or 7k it looks black. I want mine to look light brown!

Maybe I could go to the M1 EP 15k oil and just add more when it needs it? I'd be ok with that.

Last edited:
If you have to add a quart at 4K, either change at 4K with no adds or add the quart and run to 6-7K.
You seem to get good use out of the car, so short OCIs on any decent oil aren't needed.

Color of your oil doesn't mean it's not working, It might turn black right away, it doesn't mean anything. Run the synblend for 6k and get a uoa.

Last edited by a moderator:
JGViIQh.png

was getting antsy
I think I finally understand how the TBN is what matters, that the oil itself doesn't lose lubricative properties.

I was driving a lot of 55mph on this change-- super easy on it.

Now I'm running the Pens 5w20 platinum natural gas stuff. How long you think on that one?

I found at 55-70mph I seem to burn much less oil than at 75-80. I put in 5q (on 4.5q) and pulled out 3.9-4q. Before, at 4k, when driving 75+, had to add a quart (when running 4.5q).

I lost like a quart or two of antifreeze. I think that would show up as more than 75/50 on the sodium. Wonder where it's going? Maybe I'll be replacing a water pump soon, but it's been doing that (running through quarts of coolant, off and on) since 4.5 years ago

Last edited:
Bars Leaks pellets are cheaper than buying antifreeze all the time - easier on the environment too. If the Castrol still had life left at 6000, the PP should go 10k easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back