Sears

Status
Not open for further replies.
JCP`s problem was they tried to be like Macy's or Dillard's. They raised the prices and tried to be "high end",when they are very low end (I used to work for them in their shoes and men's clothing depts years ago,so I know first hand). Why shop at JCP and pay Dillard's prices for Walmart brand clothes when you can go to Dillard's and get Ralph Lauren for the same price. JCP totally shot themselves in both feet when they did their "makeover" a few years ago. And I heard those exact same comments from the very customers they ran off.

Interesting article. Looks like organized chaos is the operating model. Bad things happen to normal folks when the left hand can't tell what the right is doing, looks like it's the same way in the retail world too.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Imo,the problem with Sears is they are so EXPENSIVE!!

Seconded. The Sears store in my town was closing a couple of years ago... went in to check it out. Even when things were marked down 25% or more, their prices were still higher than most any other store of comparable quality.

I went to sears last week looking for a Chinese finger, they had a large selection of specialty stuff about a year ago.
Now nothing at all, they downsized the tool dept by half. Nothing there i want or need, thats the end of sears for me.
Its a real shame when you cant walk into a store and buy a decent set of wrenches or ratchet and sockets (USA).

I went into a Sears store awhile back just browsing. They had a ton of old 5W50 Syntec (looked to be first generation square bottles with the orange labels). It was so old the labels had faded to almost white,you could barely read them. I asked how cheap they'd be willing to let it go for if I bought the entire stock. Their reply,$9.99 a quart! I literally laughed out loud at them!

They're not doing any better up here. While some of the product might be a bit superior to what one would find at Walmart, even that's a bit iffy. The local Sears has no signage left whatsoever, and the store has three floors, so last time I was there, it was like being dumped in a maze. Anything could be anywhere. Then, the shoe department was smaller than their bathrooms, despite the wide selection listed online. What a mess.

I think my Chinese made Sears set is of decent quality with the exception of the needle like burr that was imbedded into my finger last month. It is my expendable set and I am able to keep my USA set in "nice" condition. I was able to buy it for $45 around Thanksgiving time. IIRC, the original price was around $150. How does t his price compare to when they were American made a few years ago?

I have about $12 left on a gift card that I have to spend up, but other than that I have no more use for Sears. I can go to HF and buy decent tools for a fraction of the price.

I got a Craftsman tiller this year and looked to me better made than the Husqvarna (sp?) at Lowe's. The Husq had flimsy handles and the same B&S engine as the Sears, and the Sears one was about $25 cheaper.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I can go to HF and buy decent tools for a fraction of the price.

I almost fell out of my chair on that one. LOL

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I can go to HF and buy decent tools for a fraction of the price.

I almost fell out of my chair on that one. LOL

I am not saying they are the best quality, but they are decent. They are comparable to the Chinese craftsman wrenches and are a fraction of the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back