01 Chevy Prizm 1.8L 1ZZFE, 5800mi, Mobil 5000 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the forum and I thought I'd contribute my own UOA from Blackstone for my 2001 Chevrolet Prizm. Don't know if any readings are different than they should be because it has a known problem of stuck piston rings and burns a lot of oil. I have used additives such as stop leak, sea foam, and the Restore additive known for very high lead and copper which is why those readings were so high. Have since switched to Valvoline MaxLife 10w40 and let them know I am doing so and that the Restore additive had been used so they now have me checking back at 7,500 miles.

01PRIZM-080114-page-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yours burns a quart per 1,000 miles? I have a 94 Corolla with the 7AFE which suffers from the same problem; if I routinely use cleaning additives in the oil, I can get the oil consumption to about 1 quart per 2,000 miles.

You might want to skip using stop leaks or Restore and focus on additives which specifically clean, such as MMO and Rislone. I recently added 4 ounces of Gumout multi system to the oil in mine and it has significantly reduced consumption. Getting those oil control rings cleaner and free of crud will lower consumption.

the oil consumption fix is fairly easy if you have the tools, which don't cost much to acquire either.

I have used the EngineTech pistons rings one three 1zz-fe so far so good! they only cost $23!

Last edited:
Welcome!

Stick with the Maxlife at a few shorter 3,000 mile intervals to get that gunk out. Skip the Restore and don't bother with a UOA for a few changes until those heavy metals are flushed. If you want to use some cleaning addatives, Kreen and Auto RX are in that category, but skip the other stuff.

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately, the only way to fully cure the oil consumption is rebuild. The rest are band aids. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
the oil consumption fix is fairly easy if you have the tools, which don't cost much to acquire either.

I have used the EngineTech pistons rings one three 1zz-fe so far so good! they only cost $23!

How is it easy? I thought you had to replace the piston rings along with the head gaskets and bolts? That's $1500 in labor...How did you end up solving the issue? I would love to fix the oil consumption issue without spending $1500 just in labor. Mine burns 1qt every 400-600 miles city and about every 100-300 miles highway (in the report I said 5qts between oil changes but that was a guess and this is more accurate since I've been checking consumption lately). I put MMO in with every gas tank. Any suggestions corolla/prizm guys?

Last edited:
No point in doing the UOA with the additives in there, you are skewing the copper and lead which can be important in a high mileage engine.

At the rate you are burning oil you probably don't hardly ever need to change the oil, just the filter every so many miles it's rated. I would just stick a Fram Ultra on there and change it every 15-20k miles if you skip the restore.

Put the MMO in the oil. Or try 1 quart of Rislone. Like I said, if you routinely use cleaning additives in the oil, you can get the oil consumption under control.

Originally Posted By: Bulletbling

How is it easy? I thought you had to replace the piston rings along with the head gaskets and bolts? That's $1500 in labor...How did you end up solving the issue? I would love to fix the oil consumption issue without spending $1500 just in labor. Mine burns 1qt every 400-600 miles city and about every 100-300 miles highway (in the report I said 5qts between oil changes but that was a guess and this is more accurate since I've been checking consumption lately). I put MMO in with every gas tank. Any suggestions corolla/prizm guys?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/131-8th-generation-1998-2002/402362-diy-oil-consumption-fix.html

if you read throughout the whole forum you will see the mistakes that people made, It is really easy for me now since I have done 5 1zzfe, 1 D16Y7, 1 2zzfe. I just did 5 in a row, back to back since beginning of July.

if you were near by, I could definitely guide you through it.

if your serious just pm me with any questions you might have regarding it, parts can easily be had for under 200 dollars.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/131-8th-generation-1998-2002/402362-diy-oil-consumption-fix.html

if you read throughout the whole forum you will see the mistakes that people made, It is really easy for me now since I have done 5 1zzfe, 1 D16Y7, 1 2zzfe. I just did 5 in a row, back to back since beginning of July.

if you were near by, I could definitely guide you through it.

if your serious just pm me with any questions you might have regarding it, parts can easily be had for under 200 dollars.

I have that page bookmarked but how long did it take you? I am a delivery driver and work 6 days a week so it'd need to be fixed within a days time.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No point in doing the UOA with the additives in there, you are skewing the copper and lead which can be important in a high mileage engine.

At the rate you are burning oil you probably don't hardly ever need to change the oil, just the filter every so many miles it's rated. I would just stick a Fram Ultra on there and change it every 15-20k miles if you skip the restore.

I have a Fram ultra (now called synthetic) in there right now so I should be good for awhile until the next change.

how long did it take you?

First time learning it? probably three days worth of working time, as there is some technical aspect you have to learn.

The last time? 1 day but that's after having done 6 other engines...

I don't think I have all the tools to do it. I'm not motor inclined but I'm pretty good at taking something apart and putting it together.

I don't think I have all the tools to do it. I'm not motor inclined but I'm pretty good at taking something apart and putting it together.

This is the perfect excuse to get some tools! Rent a car for a week so you're not rushing it and have an adventure.

I don't know if I'd even be able to do it. I have some tools but not everything and don't know much about engines. I don't even know what the piston rings do. I probably will pay the $1,000 labor I've been quoted and the $180 in parts and get it done in the upcoming months.

Thank you for posting.

It may not be a big deal but you may want to black out your personal information on the report, just to be safe. If you can't do it I'm sure a moderator would help.

I would use Maxlife 10W30 in this engine. The 10W40 is to heavy... Maxlife 10W30 is already on the upper viscosity range for a 30 weight oil.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Maxlife would slow it down but not stop it-can't believe you haven't lost the catalytic converter yet burning that much!

I actually burnt 10 quarts by this OCI and just emailed Blackstone so they could correct it as I burn 1 quart every 500 miles. The cat went bad around 75k miles ago. I was told by a mechanic whose owned a car with this engine and he said to put diesel oil in it.

No one else has suggested that on these forums, but the guy said it will reduce the consumption. Next I will need to figure out which weight diesel oil he meant because it is my father's mechanic and he talked to my father. I'm debating on whether I should do that by putting Rotella T6 5w-40 in it.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Thank you for posting.

It may not be a big deal but you may want to black out your personal information on the report, just to be safe. If you can't do it I'm sure a moderator would help.

Thank you for letting me know. I am not too concerned with my personal info on there, but will re-edit that image. (in case someone gets angry at me on a forum and sees that image, they then know where I live *scary*)

Would anyone recommend using diesel oil?

I would not.
Take a look on VOA of Rotella. It has significant amount of Zn and Ph, but not too many Ca/Mg. You don't need additional wear protection, you need strong cleaning ability.
I would use Liqui Moly engine flush (15 minutes idle and drain the oil), make no more than 3000 miles OCI and, probably, have the Auto-RX treatment.
If you don't worry about what other people think about you, add a half of quart of ATF into a sump and change oil couple of weeks later. This is a old school method of engine cleaning, which used to work.

P.S. Many years ago I used a mix of 75% of engine oil and 25% of diesel fuel (or kerosine) to clean engine of my 1979 Lada. It runs well even now, but not in this country, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back