DRL's are going to kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our GM vehicles have a very small icon on the dashboard for the DRL's. No other lights are illuminated.

I can't remember the last time I ever changed any lights/bulbs. We just don't seem to do that anymore...

This is one of those things GM just does right. The headlight switch defaults to auto and you have to manually turn the switch off if you don't want auto headlights each time, and it defaults right back to auto the next time you start the car. I touch the headlight switch maybe once a year.

I see cars riding around that are new enough to have auto headlights with no lights...go figure, someone set the switch to off.

One day when I'm elected god... all cars will have their headlights linked to the wiper switch or automatic wiper control.

They're controlled by the same ECU. How hard would it be to make the lights come on with the wipers, people?

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
One day when I'm elected god... all cars will have their headlights linked to the wiper switch or automatic wiper control.

They're controlled by the same ECU. How hard would it be to make the lights come on with the wipers, people?

You mean like my 06 Chrysler? A LOT of cars do that, it's even on our newer trucks!

Usually no one gets why I flash my lights at them, but once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised.

GM had nice bright yellow DRL's, I actually liked their setup. But IMO DRL's need to turn on the parking lights too. I drive a lot into the sun, morning and evening. Might not need headlights during those times, but it sure would be nice to see the taillights.

I got bit by the dash on our Camry. It has that crazy bright backlight. It was a long trip, so I was a bit tired, but it took a long time to realize I didn't have my lights on, and it was good and dark by the time I realized my mistake. This was in reasonably heavy traffic, so I had no problems seeing--which is usually my que to turn on my lights as it gets dark out--out of my usual drive, out of my usual habits. [During the winter months I often just turn them on, as it'll be dark always when I'm driving.]

I'm no fan of auto headlights. Maybe it's one step closer. Technically state law here wants headlights on if the wipers are on--common sense, but common sense ought to lead people to turn on their lights too, so I guess the programming needs to take wiper usage into account too. And too much ambient light, like dawn "driving into the rising sun" issue.

At least these days a number of makers have the headlight switch on a relay, take the key out of the ignition and the lights turn off for you. A good number of people ought to just turn 'em on and leave 'em on. I'm sure their friendly inspection shop will gladly replace the bulbs for them, if they burn out.

Some of us do not keep the setting on the auto because the HID turns on unnecessarily every time the car is parked in the garage.

I like the California vehicle law that makes it illegal to drive with ONLY drl's or parking lights on at any time!

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I always turn on my parking lights in the morning/evening (as long as it's not completely dark) as I figure the same thing -- people need to see the tail lamps as much as the front DRLs in the Firebird. It really is incredible how many people don't turn on any form of lights when it's dark out. The DRLs in that car are the same as the parking lights (the large amber bulbs built in to the bumper, by the fog lights). I'll always turn them on in the Integra as well, which doesn't have DRLs.

Here in good old Illinois it is illegal to drive a vehicle at any time with the parking lights only on.
That being said I don't know any one that got a ticket for that.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I always turn on my parking lights in the morning/evening (as long as it's not completely dark) as I figure the same thing -- people need to see the tail lamps as much as the front DRLs in the Firebird. It really is incredible how many people don't turn on any form of lights when it's dark out. The DRLs in that car are the same as the parking lights (the large amber bulbs built in to the bumper, by the fog lights). I'll always turn them on in the Integra as well, which doesn't have DRLs.

Here in good old Illinois it is illegal to drive a vehicle at any time with the parking lights only on.
That being said I don't know any one that got a ticket for that.

I've never heard that before. If it's dark enough, I do turn the headlights on as well. I just thought it would be nice for a little extra visibility between 7:30-8am, when it's mostly light out already. I see people with their parking lights on all the time. The DRL/Parking Lights in the Firebird are quite bright, as they're intended to be running lights as well. Who would have thought using the DRLs would be illegal? p.s., quite a few people during this time have no lights on at all.

FirebirdLights_zps47bdc5a7.jpg

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Living in a big city it seems as if I see more early AM commuters on the roads with just their DRL's lit. Don't these people understand that drivers need to see your rear lamps as well? Are these people so oblivious to their surroundings that they don't even notice their dashboard is dark?

WTH

I hate the bright lights too. At night its unbearable, and the ones that raise and lower them for hills just blind me.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
In my 07 Accord, the dashboard is lit all the time, whether the DRL's or main lights are on. It's easy to forget.

Before DRLs, in the city, people would still forget to turn on their headlights. My G's dash is lit up with just the DRLs, too, but it's so bright it is just about impossible to not notice the difference. Strangely enough, that seems to be by design. Even on a reasonably sunny day, the gauges are rather difficult to read when parked with the engine and lights off. I can't get used to that!

Originally Posted By: supton
Usually no one gets why I flash my lights at them, but once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised.

GM had nice bright yellow DRL's, I actually liked their setup. But IMO DRL's need to turn on the parking lights too. I drive a lot into the sun, morning and evening. Might not need headlights during those times, but it sure would be nice to see the taillights.

I got bit by the dash on our Camry. It has that crazy bright backlight. It was a long trip, so I was a bit tired, but it took a long time to realize I didn't have my lights on, and it was good and dark by the time I realized my mistake. This was in reasonably heavy traffic, so I had no problems seeing--which is usually my que to turn on my lights as it gets dark out--out of my usual drive, out of my usual habits. [During the winter months I often just turn them on, as it'll be dark always when I'm driving.]

I'm no fan of auto headlights. Maybe it's one step closer. Technically state law here wants headlights on if the wipers are on--common sense, but common sense ought to lead people to turn on their lights too, so I guess the programming needs to take wiper usage into account too. And too much ambient light, like dawn "driving into the rising sun" issue.

At least these days a number of makers have the headlight switch on a relay, take the key out of the ignition and the lights turn off for you. A good number of people ought to just turn 'em on and leave 'em on. I'm sure their friendly inspection shop will gladly replace the bulbs for them, if they burn out.

IMO, DRL's are not designed for and do not add sufficient visibility for sunrise/sunset conditions. You may see me just fine, but that doesn't mean I can easily see you or your parking/DRL's past the sun's glare.

If i look in my side or rear-view mirror and have trouble seeing anything I keep all of my lights energized.

Last edited:
My trucks lights are fully automatic and its one thing GM really figured out because it works well. Considering its a 10 year old base truck I can't beleive other companies have not figured it out.

I don't think I have touched my headlight switch in years, just keep it on auto.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I'm more shocked that when i flash my high beams they never understand that its because their lights are off.

This. I always see them hit the brakes because they think there is a cop. Once they realize there is no cop they continue driving in the dark with no headlights. Morons.

I'm not a fan of headlight DRL's because you don't have the ability to completely turn off the headlights. I've disabled the headlight DRL's in my 01 Tundra because if I want the headlights off I want them off! Instead I converted it to foglight DRL's which can operate like DRL (at full brightness) but you can turn them on/off with the foglight switch. Also I can just leave the headlights on and it will turn off automatically when I open the door at key off and turn back on at key on.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I'm not a fan of headlight DRL's because you don't have the ability to completely turn off the headlights. I've disabled the headlight DRL's in my 01 Tundra because if I want the headlights off I want them off! Instead I converted it to foglight DRL's which can operate like DRL (at full brightness) but you can turn them on/off with the foglight switch. Also I can just leave the headlights on and it will turn off automatically when I open the door at key off and turn back on at key on.

Geez, a simple 3500 van from Chevy has the ability to turn them off anytime...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
This is one of those things GM just does right. The headlight switch defaults to auto and you have to manually turn the switch off if you don't want auto headlights each time, and it defaults right back to auto the next time you start the car. I touch the headlight switch maybe once a year.

I agree. The GM system is great! The headlights come on automatically as dusk approaches, and when they do, so do the dash lights. No confusion whatsoever. And the dash lights go off again once its bright enough for the headlights to go back off. In fact, the system is so conservative that it'll frequently turn on the headlights long before the thought occurs to me that maybe its time to turn the lights on. They're already on! And the dash lights are only on when the headlights are on.

Other than anecdotal stories on the forums, I had no idea there was such a thing as a continuously-lit dashboard. Then I had a few rentals with it. Stupid, stupid system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back