Hoping you really love winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
We actually had snow and ice in Houston last winter. That was a trip!

Apparently, there's no place in the country you can go anymore to get away from these dam* winters...

We actually had snow and ice in Houston last winter. That was a trip!

We had it a couple times in my part of Mississippi. My Northern roots weren't bothered, but I did learn the fact (almost the hard way...) that my car has summer only tires, was an interesting 10mi ride home. The older folks around here are saying it's going to be a cold winter. All I have to say is bring it on, can't change it. I'd love to see some 6" snow in my parts.

Originally Posted By: D189379
Forecasters can't even get the weather for 3 or 4 days from now correct.

Exactly! They are wrong everyday and still get to keep their jobs!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: supton
I don't recall last winter being that bad. Snowed a few times, got cold a couple of times, but other than the typical winter blues I didn't think much of it.

But I think I'll go back to looking at snow tires. Again. That reminds me, I oughta look and see if the snowblower still starts. Heck, didn't even use it last year! That's how mild I thought it was.

That's because you're not in the Midwest. The entire winter, and this is no exaggeration, it was either snowing, or we had single digit temps, and this went on the whole winter...it sucked bad!

I'll attest to Grampi's veracity.
We had no record lows and no record snowstorms, but we had near record snowfall in this part of the state along with more below zero mornings than I can remember in thirty years of living here.
No single event was all that bad, but they just kept coming.
From what I've seen of current long range forecasts, Ohio will see pretty average winter temperatures along with above average precipitation. What the precip means will of course depend upon the temperature when it falls.
The proof of the accuracy of what I've seen will be upon us soon enough.

Apparently, there's no place in the country you can go anymore to get away from these dam* winters...

Sure there is, most of Florida is safe from the ravages of winter and same with southern California. They might get a few chilly days here and there, but 99% of the winter months in both of those places are definitely not winter like at all.

Leaves are falling off the trees here as well...due to lack of rain. Any of that extra vortex you have laying around, just send South. We'd love an early cool front to knock 25° off to start a real Fall. It's really not fun to sweat in your Halloween costume, nor still be mowing the yard at Thanksgiving, nor watering the grass on New Years....

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/weather/polar-vortex-in-septembers-forecast-20140806

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/fall-2014-forecast-polar-vortex/31254218

One thing I've learned is not to put much faith into long term weather predictions. After all, these are the same folks that have trouble with 3 or 4 day forecasts. Now that the weather folks have their new buzzword "polar vortex" they're using it every chance they get. The weather folks also have lots of pretty maps and lots of technology to augment what boils down to nothing more than a guess.

After this many years I've seen hot summers followed by every type of fall and winter weather imaginable. I've also seen cool summers followed by every type of fall and winter weather imaginable. I've seen winters that have snow on the ground by the end of October, and winters with virtually no snow all season.

My wife and I enjoy winter and the snow. It's a chance to get out on the bike trail with our snow shoes and see all the wildlife that takes over when people aren't around. It's also great exercise-the cold works us harder when we are out in it.

I've prepared for winter exactly the same way every year-prepare for the worst and hope for the best. One thing I won't do is let it worry me.

Good dose of truth there...and while I do agree, I've got to go with my gut on this....

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Hmmm... been a hot summer here (still is hot) and leaves aren't falling.. What part of MI do you live in???

And I agree, way to early to predict that.

Not far from you....I mean it has been warm, just not like normal. Also have more mature trees around here as well...

Grumpy trees maybe?

Originally Posted By: Patman

Sure there is, most of Florida is safe from the ravages of winter and same with southern California. They might get a few chilly days here and there, but 99% of the winter months in both of those places are definitely not winter like at all.

The lows here were in the mid 30's on the coldest days here. The summers are the hard time to live here.

Not far from you....I mean it has been warm, just not like normal. Also have more mature trees around here as well...

Grumpy trees maybe?

We have some pretty mature trees around here as well. I don't live in Detroit but in the suburbs. Yes we had a few cooler times this summer, but most of it has been upper 70s and mid 80s. But our trees still have all their leaves and are not changing color either..

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc

Grumpy trees maybe?

We have some pretty mature trees around here as well. I don't live in Detroit but in the suburbs. Yes we had a few cooler times this summer, but most of it has been upper 70s and mid 80s. But our trees still have all their leaves and are not changing color either..

Same as me...haven't seen any real upper 80/90s days though. As far as the leaves changing, it has only been a little bit from a few trees....just enough for me to notice. Nothing full blown or anything....

Live in the burbs myself too...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Patman

The lows here were in the mid 30's on the coldest days here. The summers are the hard time to live here.

Very hot..at least it is not humid.. I think!

That's because you're not in the Midwest. The entire winter, and this is no exaggeration, it was either snowing, or we had single digit temps, and this went on the whole winter...it sucked bad!

I'm in the heart of the midwest. Sorry to burst your blanket statement bubble, but we had a pretty normal winter last year. Not much different from what I remember from many winters past-some days were cold, some days were snowy, some days were warmer, and some days were sunny. We even had our typical January thaw.

The media managed to whip a lot of folks into a frenzy, and had them believing the "polar vortex" was a new phenomenon, while in reality we called it "cold Canadian air" for decades. It seems to happen every winter. Now that the media has a new buzzword for it, they're even claiming that the cooler summer is caused by the "polar vortex".

I'm pretty sure there will also be snow and cold this winter. I'll even go so far as to predict that some areas will see record lows, and some areas will see a blizzard or two (and the media will go into a tizzy over it). And, as usual, there will be people who claim it was the worst winter ever.

The humidity is what kills me here. I work outside in the sun and heat all day,and we've had a heat index of 110 all week,plus 90%+ humidity.

The humidity is what kills me here. I work outside in the sun and heat all day,and we've had a heat index of 110 all week,plus 90%+ humidity.

99 here yesterday with very high humidity also. TX doesn't get hot all by itself!

Bring LOTS of water, we do...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I'm in the heart of the midwest. Sorry to burst your blanket statement bubble, but we had a pretty normal winter last year. Not much different from what I remember from many winters past-some days were cold, some days were snowy, some days were warmer, and some days were sunny. We even had our typical January thaw.

The media managed to whip a lot of folks into a frenzy, and had them believing the "polar vortex" was a new phenomenon, while in reality we called it "cold Canadian air" for decades. It seems to happen every winter. Now that the media has a new buzzword for it, they're even claiming that the cooler summer is caused by the "polar vortex".

I'm pretty sure there will also be snow and cold this winter. I'll even go so far as to predict that some areas will see record lows, and some areas will see a blizzard or two (and the media will go into a tizzy over it). And, as usual, there will be people who claim it was the worst winter ever.

I don't know where in the Midwest you're located, but in OH, MI, IN, and IL, with few exceptions, last winter it was pretty much either snowing, or single digit temps the entire winter...this may have been considered a "normal" winter 30 years ago, but we haven't had a winter like it over the last 30 years...

Last edited:
It was close to '78-'79. Had plenty of wood. Just added 2 tonnes of coal + more dead trees(firewood). Two fire/coal stoves not needing power in the home, if electricity go out.
BRING it ON.

Did I say I love Winter?>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back