PS Fluid for '97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought used with no owners manual - what PS fluid do Jeep owners recommend for this model / year ?

Make sure to use power steering fluid not at ATF+4. Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple all make synthetic power steering fluids. Prestone power steering fluid is good in my buick.

IIRC the fluid spec is MS5931, I always used Valvoline i'm thinking it was the cheapest with a reputable name that met the spec.

You should head over to jeepforum.com become a member and check out the XJ section. You can use me a reference !!!! same user name as here.

Last edited:
We had a '95 with the 4.0 and it was fine with "universal" power steering fluid (not ATF). If you are particular about specifications, look for a PS fluid with one or more of the following Chrysler specs: MS-1872, MS-5931, MS-9602, or MS-11655.

Thanks ...My Bad though - it's actually a 1995 4.0L I-6 4X4 Cherokee automatic transmission (not a 1997)! ... Now to double check the correct ATF in this 1995 !

Thanks - I found the right ATF (Dex/Merc... I like Valvoline PS Fluid in the white bottle - good to know it's a good choice for this Jeep !
Originally Posted By: Miller88
DexIII/Merc.

Supertech DexIII/Merc fluid works great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back