NAPA Silver vs O'Reilly's Microgard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: C4Dave
The Microgard in my garage for the Grand Marquis looks exactly like a Fram Extra Guard. Box says 94% filtration at 20 microns. Should be good for 5k miles.

Microgards were Fram made a supplier or two back, they have changed around a lot. Then they were Champ made ecores a short time, now Wix made value filters.

Found this info on Oreilly's website with their MG filters. Could these specs be from when Fram made them or are they the new specs?

"Brand Information
MICRO-GARD Oil Filters provide good engine protection using conventional motor oil for normal driving conditions such as daily travel, throughout a traditional oil and filter change interval. Micro-Gard Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO-4548-12: 13 grams dirt* 95% efficient at 29 microns** (Based on * Micro-Gard MGL51515 ** Micro-Gard MGL51356, MGL57060, and MGL51515)

Manufacturer Information
MicroGard offers dependable and quality products at a competitive price for our customers. All MicroGard filters carry a one-year limited warranty. We carry a wide variety of filters, including oil filters, air filters, fuel filters, cabin air filters and pcv for all popular late model passenger cars and light trucks."

Link

Interesting. The picture in your link is the Wix made one. I've never seen any published specs on the lower teir Wix made filters, but I've never seen Fram rate anything at 29 microns either.

What does 95% at 29 microns turn out to be at 20 microns I wonder?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I have some curves someplace (not on this computer) were I could give you a good estimate to your question. I'd say it would be maybe 85~90% @ 20 microns.

In the past, a Microgard filter could have been a Champion made STP clone or a FRAM Extraguard, depending on the application.

I believe O'Reilly really stepped up to provide a value priced Wix oil filter as their house brand filter.

It would be great if Walmart would follow O'Reilly's lead and revive the Super Tech filter line using the Wix (NAPA Silver) filter.

Consumers would be the big winner if that happened.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I have some curves someplace (not on this computer) were I could give you a good estimate to your question. I'd say it would be maybe 85~90% @ 20 microns.

I am confused now. How does 29 microns come down to 20 microns?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

If an oil filter is 95% efficient at 29 microns, then it has to be less than 95% efficient at 20 microns, and even less efficient at 10 microns etc.

If an oil filter is 95% efficient at 29 microns, then it has to be less than 95% efficient at 20 microns, and even less efficient at 10 microns etc.

How can a filter rated at collecting a 29 micron particle grab a 20 micron particle? 20 is smaller than 29 right? I would assume any size smaller than 29 microns wouldn't get caught and continue to pass through the media. Regardless of efficiency. I think I need schooled on oil filters 101.

How can a filter rated at collecting a 29 micron particle grab a 20 micron particle? 20 is smaller than 29 right? I would assume any size smaller than 29 microns wouldn't get caught and continue to pass through the media. Regardless of efficiency. I think I need schooled on oil filters 101.

A filter doesn't work the way that you (apparently) think it works. Just because a filter is rated at 29 microns (for instance) doesn't mean it will pass every particle smaller than that... nor does it mean that it will catch every particle bigger than that. Any given filter will catch a fraction of particles down to fractions of a micron. Furthermore, as a filter loads up with debris, the debris will effectively become part of the filter medium, only passing smaller and smaller particles on average.

...How can a filter rated at collecting a 29 micron particle grab a 20 micron particle? 20 is smaller than 29 right? I would assume any size smaller than 29 microns wouldn't get caught and continue to pass through the media. Regardless of efficiency. I think I need schooled on oil filters 101.

The key is that it's 'rated' at (in this case) 29um. The filter media will still capture smaller particles (for example 20um), it's just that it will be at some lesser efficiency then that rated 29um. Doesn't mean everything smaller than 29um gets through the media, just will allow those particles through more often, thus at some lower efficiency as noted above. Lower than the 95%@29um stated/published at O'R.

Hope that helps explain it some.

^^^ +1 ... 80% @ 20 microns is probably a good estimate.

I read particles smaller than 20 microns cause bearing wear, because larger particles don't fit in close bearing clearances. 100 Microns = 0.0039 inches. Bearing clearances are .0005 to .0022 inches so it's true a 100 micron particle won't fit in a rod or main bearing.

Now I'm not sure I want to run a value line filter any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back