'04 Corolla timing chain noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
04 and 05 are apparently more affected than other years, the 1.3 and 1.6 are the most common with this failure but it can happen to any of them with a plastic manifold from what i understand.
I put a new manifold on the one i did. Toyota did revise the part.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
The seats wear, so the valve sits deeper and the stem is closer to the cam, wear continues until the clearance is too tight, then it doesn't seat at all, and it gets hot (valves survive by transferring heat to the seat) and starts to burn and leak...

You don't have to check often, every 60 - 90K, but you do have to check...

FWIW - I run 5W30 synthetic and the engine purrs with over 100K on it...very clean inside...

Is there no chance of cam and lifter wear?

There is and Toyota hopes that valve seats and cam/lifter wear at the same rate meaning no adjustment needed. This is why you have people driving 200-300,000 miles without adjustment. However, it's not guaranteed and it's prudent to check from time to time (pick your interval 60-120,000 miles).

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Very rare event, unheard of for a Toyota to lose a chain. Replace the timing chain tensioner first. What oil you been running and how long is your oil change interval? I wont ask if you change it on time, nobody will say they don't. The vvt-i system can cause ticks if deposits are allowed co build up. .

+1 I have 3 1zz-fe with 200k+,256k+,342k+ with all original timing chain & tensioner, all you need to do is adjust the the tensioner by backing out one of the nuts almost completely off then slowly loosen the other nut and hear for a click (only 1 click at a time) then tighten the nuts back then run the engine and see if the rattling noise is gone, if not then do the same step and wait to hear another click, if this procedure doesn't take the chain rattling away then you can conclude a worn timing chain.

unless you want to take out everything and measure it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back