Cartridge Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta question for you guys: When do you replace the cartridge?

A) When it's dull and no longer cuts

B) When it starts grabbing and pulling

For me the first shave is always comfortable, but on the second or third shave, it's razor burn city.
frown.gif

I use Gilette Trac II
and one of the most important things I have learned is that
you will get a much more comfortable shave if you wet your
face with warm water first, then quickly put the shaving cream on top of that. Barbasol Sensitive Skin is one of the best ready to use shave creams you can buy.

I have very sensitive skin and I get razor burn very easily.I have the problem of where I will bleed through pours even though I haven't actually cut myself, anyone else experience this???

I have found that by doing the above will extend my cartridges to four weeks of daily shaving. Make sure the blade is wet and has shaving cream on it as well before contacting your skin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I use Gilette Trac II
and one of the most important things I have learned is that
you will get a much more comfortable shave if you wet your
face with warm water first, then quickly put the shaving cream on top of that. Barbasol Sensitive Skin is one of the best ready to use shave creams you can buy.

I have very sensitive skin and I get razor burn very easily.I have the problem of where I will bleed through pours even though I haven't actually cut myself, anyone else experience this???

I have found that by doing the above will extend my cartridges to four weeks of daily shaving. Make sure the blade is wet and has shaving cream on it as well before contacting your skin.

I have the same issue but it doesn't bleed but rather can get red.

Now for the last 2 years I have been shaving with the grain (downward only) and no more issues at all, now I can use the same razor for like 24-30 shaves easily. I now stop using the blade when it gets uncomfortable.

Before It was 1 blade and done...never ever could I use the same blade without it causing serious discomfort.

Note:always used Gillette Power 5 blades, now use the Gillette Pro-Glide Power 5 blades.

01_celica_gt

Are you saying that shaving against the grain is tough on the blades? If so, that makes sense. I always shave with the grain for the first pass and then shave against the grain for the second pass. I'm always going for that glass smooth effect and I'll tear my face up until I achieve that goal. There's gotta be a better way though.

michaelluscher

I'm using the Schick Hydro 5 blades. I thoroughly rinse and dry the razor after each use.

Yes, the second session on a new blade I'll get mild razor burn. The third session, BAD razor burn.

I wish I could afford a new blade for each shaving session, but these things have gotten expensive!

I should mention that when I had a water softener, the razor burn was almost non-existant and the blades would last a lot longer.

No matter which one I use, from the expensive Powerglide Fusion down to the cheaper Wilkinson M5s, I find I need to change them once per week.

I get ~ 15 shaves from one blade. I always wet my face with hot water using a wash cloth in contact with my beard. I wet the shave and shave with the grain the first time and against the grain under my chin. I alway buy Shick blades. Ed

Last edited:
I used to replace Gillete Fusion cartridges about once a month, with daily shaving routine. However, over time I developed skin rash that would not go away. Plus a lot of ingrown hair. I believe the main reason was that I was shaving too close (with and then against the grain). I finally ended up getting an electric shaver about a year ago. All my rash and ingrown hair problems went away. No cartridges to replace, but the cutting foil will eventually need replacing - maybe once a year or once every other year.

Call me a minority but I wet shave also. Its just cheaper. And all in all I went from disliking shaving to sometimes looking forward to it.

You can buy a cheap DE razor off Amazon for about $5 shipped. Bought a $12 brush and a $5 thing of 50 blades. All in all I spent less then $25 and that was back last September. Have about 20 blades left.

You can buy 100 blades for like $10 and they have some very good brands not just knock offs. They make Gillette blades, Schick, what ever brand you like you can find their DE blades.

I shave every other day and still I don't get razor burn or any redness anymore.

I don't want to be one of those types that glorify it to the extreme but still.

My favorite thing about it would be if I wanted to I could shave with a brand new blade each time and it would still cost next to nothing.

100 blades for $10 is only $0.10 a blade. Not bad if I say so myself. 3 shaves per blade. Roughly $0.03 cost per shave and in all actually I enjoy shaving a lot more now.

If I shave against the grain, I get ingrown hairs.

I change the cartridge every 2 weeks. It can go longer, but my skin is sensitive.

I changed to Dorco blades. They are just as good as the Gillettes I was using, and they save me money. Also, I started using Cremo shave cream, and really like it.

Mach 3 turbo is what I use. Since the wife likes the scruffy look I use hair clippers with no guard on my head and face.

You must do more than wet your whiskers. You must condition / soften them wet, meaning have your whiskers wet for a couple minutes at least, before shaving.

I get out of my shower, towel off my body everywhere except my whiskers, then stand over the bathroom sink and wet my whiskers more. I then comb my hair, brush my teeth. put on deodorant -- then wetten my whiskers one last time, lather with shaving cream, then shave.

Razor burn is often caused by using an improper after-shave. I use AFTA Skin Conditioner (blue bottle). Probably for over 20 years now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
michaelluscherI'm using the Schick Hydro 5 blades. I thoroughly rinse and dry the razor after each use.
Yes, the second session on a new blade I'll get mild razor burn. The third session, BAD razor burn.
I wish I could afford a new blade for each shaving session, but these things have gotten expensive!
I should mention that when I had a water softener, the razor burn was almost non-existant and the blades would last a lot longer.

I see.
So its a 50/50 Catch 22 in your situation
A combo of poor tap water chemistry thats shortening the life of your blades Apparently, Considerably
eek.gif

And blades that can't handle the water chemistry

Now I guess you have several options here

Fix your water composition
Find a blade that can stand your water composition
A combination of both
Try a old school cheap way out, by leaving the razor in baby/mineral oil after cleaning to see if this improves blade life

I'm no expert
But maybe try stepping down to 4 blades?
Less to clog/jamb up, and less blade surface area to get ruined
7855247afd87050638f5e29f71ce6a10672eadf4cd167fd9cc2771d850227bbf.jpg

Ok, I know this sounds crazy but here goes.

I put a shaving mirror in my shower. I found this is the best way to shave. I wet my face with water only, no shave cream. I shave, first with grain, then against grain. Then I soap my face, don't wash with water first. Then I shower and finally rinse my face.

Shaving cream or soap first makes razor pull!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
If I shave against the grain, I get ingrown hairs.

I change the cartridge every 2 weeks. It can go longer, but my skin is sensitive.

I changed to Dorco blades. They are just as good as the Gillettes I was using, and they save me money. Also, I started using Cremo shave cream, and really like it.

DE/Dorco blades

....aren't those what DollarShaveClub is flogging for $4 a month?
He's a good salesman, I'll give him that.

I always shave in the shower. All the heat and steam seems to soften up the hair. No need for shaving cream; I just use bar soap.

Shaves are close and my skin is smooth, no razor burns or irritation no matter what cheap razors I pick up, and the blades last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back