Creaking sound after lower control arm replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just replaced my lower control arm because the ball joint was shot and it only comes in one unit.
After I replaced it, it started making creaking sounds when i brake to a complete stop.
Thank you

Did you torque the fasteners with the weight of the vehicle on the wheels? If not (if the car was jacked up when you torqued the fasteners), the bushings will be stressed when you lower the car, and I imagine that could cause your symptom.

I zipped them down with my impact gun while it was still in the air. Should I jack the car up and losen it a few turns then lower it and torque it down?

Originally Posted By: WeenieHutJr
I zipped them down with my impact gun while it was still in the air. Should I jack the car up and losen it a few turns then lower it and torque it down?

Yep that's the answer.

I zipped them down with my impact gun while it was still in the air.

That's your problem right there. You'll ruin those bushings in no time flat if you don't unwind them.

Get the car up on ramps. Tighten the lower control arms bolts with the car resting on its tires.

So I put the car on ramps and broke loose both of the bolts then tightened them back up. Also gave the bushings a couple squirts of silicone spray. I thought the noise was gone but then it came back when I was braking coming down a hill. I don't think the noise is as bad as before.

I was hoping you were going to say Honda or Acura. My experience with those is that it has to be just about the most expensive ball joints and bushings to avoid the dreaded noises.

I can't help after all. Sorry about that.

2002 Mazda Protege

Send the Raybestos back and switch to Moog CK620071 and CK620072 from RockAuto.

I just replaced the lower control arm on my 2008 Camry with the Raybestos Pro Grade branded part and I also get the squeak when going up inclines. I replaced the passenger side with a Deeza branded part and I haven't heard a sound from that side.

Same manufacturer as OP, same annoying sound. I also tried the silicone spray to no avail. So, for now, I will just live with it.

Also,just a heads up, the solution to every control arm issue is not to "tighten the bolts with the tires on the ground".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back